opinions on shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

opinions on shocks

opinions and help, building a 82/83 , 1100E, not sure what is best to do , A mono shock ,strut , or twin shock , will have a (1290) power plant . , 1250 bandit arm, gsxr1000 frontend , I am only 5' 6" , like low as I can and still have shock travel , any pics , and suggestions welcome , was looking to do mono , but not sure how low it can go , or what is best shock to use ?
    Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2017, 09:27 PM.

No one !!!!!!!

Comment

Do like this

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

But a mono would be cheaper for the shock.

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdhd View Post
        No one !!!!!!!
        If you put in a Monoshock you will need to find a new spot for the battery. Keep the swing arm pivot above the axle.
        sigpic
        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
        1983 GS1100e
        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
        1980 GS1260
        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I am only 5' 6" , like low as I can and still have shock travel
          I take it you never plan to go around a corner? The GSXR front end combined with 17" wheels at both ends will drop the bike noticeably, even with stock length shocks. You could go with a slightly shorter shock, around 12", and still have some suspension but you will have severely reduced ground clearance under the header for things like speed bumps and you will drag parts very easily in corners.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          But a mono would be cheaper for the shock.
          If you put any value on the work to fit the new swingarm and shock mount, along with relocating the battery, etc., those Ohlins will look pretty reasonable in comparison.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post

If you put any value on the work to fit the new swingarm and shock mount, along with relocating the battery, etc., those Ohlins will look pretty reasonable in comparison.

Mark
            Granted, I took for granted the cost of the shock might be a factor to the OP. I would not venture to guess on the OP predisposition toward spending his time fabing. As in all things GS you either do it because you're cheap or you don't care about the labor.

Comment

not cheap and it my labor , like it done right , with nice ride too

Comment

hey posplayr , that is a nice ride , what I am concerned with is look at how high the seat is , , does Ohlins have a shorter shock that will work on the 1100??,
                Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2017, 10:15 PM.

Comment

bigheelie.jpg the exhaust I have is like this one , have one on my 79 1000 , works nice , sounds great

Comment

hey posplayr , that is a nice ride , what I am concerned with is look at how high the seat is , , does Ohlins have a shorter shock that will work on the 1100??,
                    As mmattockx described, ground clearance is the primary issue with any GSXR conversion. A 4:2:1 or an X tube exhaust would provide the best all around clearance (bumps and cornering).

It took me a long time to find a 4:2:1 pipe and still had to modify it. Something like this might work. The 1sr Gen 86-88 GSXR1100 fit the best.

I don't know about the cornering of the pipe you are showing. Never seen one.

17" wheels really drop the bike, but a USD fork doesn't need as much travel as the old RSU GS forks so it is not as bad as you might suspect.

I would plan on a
                    * lower front forks (1/2" at most)
                    * very deep cut seat and
                    * perhaps minimal rear lift (13" shock)

even then you will not be flat footing it.

Closer(4:2:1), but will need to modification at the head pipe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/05-06-Suzuki-GSXR-1000-Full-Brock-Hindle-Exhaust/162562815044?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkpa rms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3 D45041%26meid%3Df9f8360175e341f08febf86e44a81a42%2 6pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D3719112627 61

I suspect these are 4:1
                    Last edited by posplayr; 06-28-2017, 03:48 AM.

Comment

HI thanks GUYs, guss I will wait till I am at that point , and see what happens,

Comment

Working...
                      X