Pods and exhaust nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pods and exhaust nightmare

Sorry for the story here but I'm thinking some history of what I have done might help. I'm new to building/modding this is my first project and am learning as I go. I have a 1980 GS550L. After returning from deployment I wanted to go all in. So I recently redid the electrical using the Motogadget Munit. It has simplified everything and fixed a lot of the electrical issues. So I moved onto the exhaust and Carbs. They have be recently rebuilt. Had to find some new used carbs. I tore out the air filter box and put on some K&N filters. I obviously learned there were some adjustments needed. After taking it out I was not able to get up over 20mph. I tried raising them up a knotch after That I was able to get up to 45mph maybe 50. But the higher I rev the less power I get. Since then I also put on a 4 into one exhaust. I could not get it to start up after that. I then raised the needles up to the last knotch. I am able to start with the choke all the way up and have to hold it that way. It will not Idle on its own. Please help, I feel lost in the sauce.

Did you change the main jet and pilot jet?

Comment

pods on a GS are a waste of money, time, frustration, and all other things that youll be chasing your azzz over. I never could understand why anyone would subject themselves to the crap just because pods "LOOK COOL'.

Not hating here.....just trying to wrap my thought process around what seems to be such a futile and useless exercise.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theknickpruitt View Post
        I am able to start with the choke all the way up and have to hold it that way. It will not Idle on its own. Please help, I feel lost in the sauce.
        We need far more info to be able to help. What pilot jets and main jets are installed? Did you buy a Dynojet kit for it in order to get an adjustable needle? What exhaust system? In order to rejet you need to work at this methodically, keeping notes of everything you do along the way. It isn't rocket science but it is tedious.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        pods on a GS are a waste of money, time, frustration, and all other things that youll be chasing your azzz over.
        Nonsense. For those with no mechanical knowledge and no interest in jetting their bike properly you are 100% correct. For those of us willing to do it right pods work just fine. Since all we hear about are problems from inexperienced riders/tuners we know nothing of how many bikes are out there running perfectly well with pods and pipe installed. Maybe I should start a thread for people to post their success stories and how they achieved that success...

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I have no complaints with how my gs1100 runs with pods and a pipe, I'll concede it took a lot of time, but it runs great. I can't compare to what it would have been with a stock setup since mine came that way, but factory pro needles, new pilot and main jets (can't suggest any sizes since I don't even know what stock is on a 550), and I couldn't imagine it running much better stock.
          That said, if it's your first project you might consider the stock air box for a while, just do one change at a time.
          -1980 GS1100 LT
          -1975 Honda cb750K
          -1972 Honda cl175
          - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

I know how they achieved the success...spending money a lot of time, and wasted efforts. All of which I have no interest in just for some "cool look" factor. I like to ride way more than i like getting tied down to a exercise of take on..take off..guess what size jet to use next...etc etc.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theknickpruitt View Post
              Sorry for the story here but I'm thinking some history of what I have done might help. I'm new to building/modding this is my first project and am learning as I go. I have a 1980 GS550L. After returning from deployment I wanted to go all in. So I recently redid the electrical using the Motogadget Munit. It has simplified everything and fixed a lot of the electrical issues. So I moved onto the exhaust and Carbs. They have be recently rebuilt. Had to find some new used carbs. I tore out the air filter box and put on some K&N filters. I obviously learned there were some adjustments needed. After taking it out I was not able to get up over 20mph. I tried raising them up a knotch after That I was able to get up to 45mph maybe 50. But the higher I rev the less power I get. Since then I also put on a 4 into one exhaust. I could not get it to start up after that. I then raised the needles up to the last knotch. I am able to start with the choke all the way up and have to hold it that way. It will not Idle on its own. Please help, I feel lost in the sauce.
              ell, did you read the Pipes, Pods, Panic! sticky at the top of this forum?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Do these things actually filter? Mine suspiciously never got dirty and it wasn't like I didn't ride Mexican backroads and the like. Maybe the dirt just vibrates off...

Calling them a filter always seemed optimistic to me. More like a gravel strainer deluxe.
                '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
                  Do these things actually filter? Mine suspiciously never got dirty and it wasn't like I didn't ride Mexican backroads and the like. Maybe the dirt just vibrates off...

Calling them a filter always seemed optimistic to me. More like a gravel strainer deluxe.
                  You need to oil them (sparingly)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    You need to oil them (sparingly)
                    I got that, but the stock filter is multitudes thicker and also oily, plus it gets its air from a probably cleaner place. I was just wondering if they actually test them for function vs a stock type or a typical pleated paper.
                    '82 GS450T

Comment

I can say they must do something, because the bike won't really run without them.
                      -1980 GS1100 LT
                      -1975 Honda cb750K
                      -1972 Honda cl175
                      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

A pretty interesting test of air filter types:

I use pods on the 1150, and it definitely runs well, and, with the correct jetting and settings, the Yosh race pipe, makes great power. Do K&Ns filter better than a paper filter? Read and learn and make an informed choice. On a mild bike like a 550L, I might not get too far into mods. On a beast like an 1100 or 1150, hell yes.
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Pods can be made to work well, but it takes a lot of iterations and it's imperative that you truly understand how carbs work and how the different circuits interact.
                          If you don't have experience and that understanding you'll be far, far better off putting the airbox back on.
                          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

That reminds me....I have a set of K&N pods I will gladly trade even for an 1100e airbox and filter....
                            sigpic
                            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                            1983 GS1100e
                            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                            1980 GS1260
                            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                              A pretty interesting test of air filter types:

I use pods on the 1150, and it definitely runs well, and, with the correct jetting and settings, the Yosh race pipe, makes great power. Do K&Ns filter better than a paper filter? Read and learn and make an informed choice. On a mild bike like a 550L, I might not get too far into mods. On a beast like an 1100 or 1150, hell yes.
                              Thanks for the link. I always figured that if you went fast enough, the dirt in the air couldn't make it around the corner and back into your engine….
                              '82 GS450T

Comment

Working...
                              X