78 xs 650-question for nessism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 xs 650-question for nessism

I know nessism is the carb expert.I have recently bought a working functional set of carbs, on the way via UPS. But why could I never get these carbs freed up? This before picture shows the original state. I have soaked them in dawn liquid bath, then tried mek once the rubber diaphragms were out, evaporust, apple cider vinegar. Yet still the choke mechanisms wont budge, and therefore the slides nor butterflies nor the throttle cable will move. The guys on the xs forum says I should do as I have done and buy some more, keeping these for parts. Technically they are BS 38s. One last suggestion was soaking them in either kerosene or transmission fluid. I have given up on them, going on to the other set. I do have them very clean externally and inside the slide chambers,all to no avail. This answer will be for my future use if needed. Any and all input appreciated from whomever answers. I found I am not alone on the Yamaha forum as a lover of the GS bikes.

20170617_070711.jpg (96.2 KB)
    Attached Files
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

I would use a heat gun and get them darn good and hot..heat will turn the varnish more the consistency of Elmers wood glue. Then the parts can be gently pried apart and subsequently cleaned at some point. As for the butterflies and shafts...the seals are probably toast but i have read tutorials saying they can be replaced.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
    X