No announcement yet.

85 GS1150EF starter clutch pics anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming it is not seized , battery is good and is turning over then sounds like the starter is dragging.

Comment

A long shot, but hopefully no washers are on the idle gear engaging starter motor.
      Not saying you have them, but I made the mistake of putting them there, being a former 80 1100ET owner.
      For whatever reason the 1100's had 2 washers, the 1150 none.
      That might cause sluggish turnover.

Petcock is on Pri facing 3oclock and full choke with no throttle when attempting to start?
      Throwing out possibilites is all.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Startergate.
        Early on, I bench tested the original. It spun. But no point of reference. Spinning and 'spinning real good' could be two different things. I figured it was good. I put it in and tried to spin and move the pistons. that was what prompted my first post; the veeerrrryyy sluggish movement of the pistons. What should a good starter spin like? Both on or off the bike?
        While waiting on the rebuild kit I picked up another used starter (from a GS1150, at $60 Cdn it didn't cost much, reputable dealer, he bench tested it: good (???)). So I now have two starters. I held the original starter in my hands and I could 'turn' the splined end with little effort (note: not 'spin'. By spin I mean grab the splines and turn it and let go and see if it continues to spin). I took the second starter and it too turned with my hands with even less effort than the original (this one is now in the bike and hence I cannot confirm right now if it 'spun'. I'm going to say 'No, it did not'.). Because the second starter turned easier I assumed this starter was a good or better starter than the original, perhaps even normal. I then installed it, put starter clutch etc all together, pulled plugs, and as mentioned bike cranked better than original test but still sluggish. What should the starter splined end spin like in my hands? Can I assume that both these starters are marginally functional but no where near optimal? I now have the rebuild kit. I'm likely answering my own question, but should I install the kit and see what the rebuilt starter spins like?
        This was a long way of asking the forum how should that splined end feel by hand?
        Also I should do a voltage test; cranking volts at battery and cranking volts at starter to see what the difference is. <1v or >1v.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2017, 10:45 PM.

Comment

If the brushes are worn, doubt that would have any effect on spinning.
          Clean commutator, lube bearing install brushes, run it, see what happens.
          Might be worth checking the oil sight glass to make sure the carbs aren't dumping fuel past the float needles into the crankcase.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Silly question but are you sure it's cranking slowly and sluggishly? Do you have experience of other bikes in this regard?

It may be that you are chasing your tail and it's all good to go.

See if it fires.

Greetings
            Richard
            sigpic
            GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
            GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
            GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
            Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
            Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Good question. If I was half capable I'd take a video (I may ask my kids. they know all there is about this posting stuff). But you're right, it's not like I've had a ton of bikes that I've turned over without plugs etc so I am going by 'gut' to some degree. I'll try again with the fuel and plugs and see.

Comment

Ok, put in the spare starter and the motor cranks. I believe sufficiently. No start tho'. I used fresh fuel. I checked for fuel in bowls; good. Full power on battery. Brand new spark plugs. I got a few 'chuf, chufs' like it wanted to spark but no start. I tried it a few times trying not to crank it for too long but........now I got starter spin....
                But this is progress. I've got the engine to crank. So first, I'll take care of the starter. Thoughts? Is it brushes or a cleaning? or both?

Once I get a 'cranking' engine again, I'll check the coils. Can't read a meter so I'll pull and ground to look for spark.

Comment

Working...
                X