Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure about my charging voltage (SH775, Gel Battery, No Handlebar Loop,...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure about my charging voltage (SH775, Gel Battery, No Handlebar Loop,...)

I have recently fitted a small dash voltage meter (cheapo off ebay) to my GS550, after I have discovered that my only one year old battery was unable to turn my starter (I keep using the kick). I've recharged it since.

The readings are somewhat preliminary, I haven't had the time yet to check everything methodically. For instance, there's around 0.3V difference between the bike being hot and cold.

With lights - low beam - on, the average voltage hovers around 13.7V@2500 rpm. Increasing the rpm increases voltage, with a maximum of 13.9V@5000rpm - higher RPM do not yield higher nor lower Voltage.

Using daytime/parking lights only, I get a 0.2V increase at all RPMs. With no lights at all, it's around 0.4V increase, though the rectifier seems to kick in above 14V, the readings don't go higher than, and only slowly approach 14.4V.

I have connected the meter to the positive wire leading to the horn (most convenient access to "hot" after ignition lock), the negative directly to the battery. I haven't connected it directly to the battery because I got no fuse handy, and also I didn't want to risk to deplete my battery with some leakage current. So it's quite possible that the voltage at the battery's poles is a little bit lower.

Relevant History:
    - Original R/R was defective - one of the reasons I found the GSR. Bike was used for a while with it.

What has been done so far:
    - SH775
    - Handlebar switch abandoned
    - LED dash illumination, including signal lights
    - Electronically controlled indicator relay
    - Gel Battery (~1y old)
    - Partial connectors cleanup

Not yet done:
    - Complete connectors cleanup
    - SPG wiring
    - Direct connection of R/R to battery
    - Stator check
    - Check the voltages methodically

Thoughts? Weak stator (when I had the cover off recently, it looked well enough)?

Per the stator papers, these should be OK values, but I can't shake the feeling I'm on, or below the lower threshold.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Do stator pages phase A to check voltage drops. Seems you are loosing about 0.4-0.5vprobsbly in the rest of the connections you did not clean.

Comment

Working...
    X