No announcement yet.

Clutch sounds like a stone or bolt is rattling around inside - help required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch sounds like a stone or bolt is rattling around inside - help required

First off, this is my first post having acquired this bike less than a week ago. Howdy to everyone

The fault came with the bike and a lower price was accepted as part of the transaction. I have had the complete clutch and primary drive wheel out and checked everything over. I did the wee hack on the clutch plate, by jamming a screwdriver between the springs and expanding them, to stop them rattling and this rattle persists. It sounds like there is a bolt rolling around in there, but nothing was loose when I had a poke around.

If anyone has come across this before or has any ideas where I should look, I would be extremely grateful.

I believe this is related to the other clutch rattles people have. I have even looked at a few videos, but I guess I am after peace of mind that the damn thing isn't going to fall apart whilst I am riding. Especially as I have taken it apart and secured everything and couldn't see any fault.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2017, 01:24 PM.

Why was there no oil coming out of the filler hole?
    Alan

sigpic
    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Welcome to the site.
      Excellent video. That is louder than i had which was helped somewhat by synching the carbs.
      Just curious, what brand and viscosity engine oil are you using?
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...oise-Low-RPMs-!!
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
        Why was there no oil coming out of the filler hole?
        Yah, mine makes a pretty decent mess when I do that.

You might have some loose springs in the backing plate?
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know what oil the previous owner used, but after taking the clutch cover off, I replaced the litre or so I drained out with fully synthetic I had lay around (I intend to do a full oil and filter change once I have got to the bottom of the rattle). I will double check the oil level if you think there should have been oil splashing around. The bike was leaning over to the left, so may not have been submersed enough?

I have a 2nd hand clutch and primary drive on the way. I intend to fit that and get the one I have upgraded with the stiffer basket and springs.

Comment

I am sure the guru's will be along soon but just for kicks and giggles I opened my filler cap and it sounded the same as yours. The thing I noticed in your video was the wiggle in the clutch basket (besides the no oil splashing out) and mine doesn't do that. It runs pretty true.
            Alan

sigpic
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
              I am sure the guru's will be along soon but just for kicks and giggles I opened my filler cap and it sounded the same as yours. The thing I noticed in your video was the wiggle in the clutch basket (besides the no oil splashing out) and mine doesn't do that. It runs pretty true.
              Thank you. I appreciate you, and all the others who have contributed, doing stuff like that. I am going to check the oil level today and decide where to go from there.

Comment

I checked the oil level whilst the bike was upright, on two wheels. The oil level is just below the "F" mark, maybe 1/4 of the distance between "L" and "F". Is there an oil feed to the clutch or does the clutch get oiled by splashing around in a little bath?

When it arrives, I am hoping the second hand clutch and primary drive will give me further insight, and maybe cure the problem.

Comment

I haven't done any more work, but I have done more research. When I had the clutch apart, I noticed there was a small hole filled with a rubber grommet. I thought it was curious, not seeming to do anything. It turns out this grommet was supposed to stand proud and not be flush. The part number is 21215-49000 and labelled as a "cushion". I have one on order and will see what difference this makes; will it stop the "wiggle" or will it make the whole ensemble quieter?

Comment

I don't know about the workings of these clutches any further than replacing my springs.
                    I did read you were going to go to stiffer springs and if you're referring to the six clutch springs I would advise against that and go with OEM springs.
                    My bike had the heavy duty springs and it caused problems with drag on the plates, stiff lever pull and frayed cable.
                    Alan

sigpic
                    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by TigerMoth View Post
                      I haven't done any more work, but I have done more research. When I had the clutch apart, I noticed there was a small hole filled with a rubber grommet. I thought it was curious, not seeming to do anything. It turns out this grommet was supposed to stand proud and not be flush. The part number is 21215-49000 and labelled as a "cushion". I have one on order and will see what difference this makes; will it stop the "wiggle" or will it make the whole ensemble quieter?
                      Im curious as to what that "cushion" does too. Does anyone know?
                      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
                      X