New GS1000 owner old bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS1000 owner old bike

Hello all got this 1979 gs1000 here she is in all her glory, basicly all the non suzuki stuff is going. four into one and some new bars and brakes.
    Resized_20170624_180940001.jpg

Welcome jjb.

Nice looking bike, will look even better when the Vetter stuff is removed.
    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Welcome to the Forum. Looks like you have a nice bike to start with. Tons of information on this site. I'm kind of partial to the GS1000. Great bikes!
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Thanks just gotta figure out why it wont start, but hey its free. Vetter fairing in nice shape with the lowers and samsonite luggage.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2017, 07:14 PM.

Comment

There are probably some folks out there that would love to have those bags. Looks like Krausers. Post them up for sale in the proper section and I'll bet you'll sell them, if not too expensive since most here are tight wads.
          Current Bikes:
          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

20170627_165411.jpgWell vetter windjammer is off as are the samsonite bags and back rest. Found a Cylmers manual and an owners manual and spare keys. Also what looks like the original head lamp harness. I will post another pic soon, gotta tinker a lil and see why it wont start and then put the side covers back on. has a Lilley key tag and Lilley of Lancaster frame on the plate.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2017, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
              Welcome to the Forum. Looks like you have a nice bike to start with. Tons of information on this site. I'm kind of partial to the GS1000. Great bikes!
              Do you have the wire schematics for the dyna coil system on a 78gs1000

Comment

The Clymers manual has wiring diaghrams in the back of the book i think dynas would wire the same.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2017, 02:18 PM.

Comment

It's pretty easy. You will have to remove the tank to expose the coils. The coils are powered through the kill switch on an orange/white wire that splits to each coil. Tap into the left orange/white wire with the long red wire provided to power the Dyna-S. The wire is long enough to reach where the connections are made. Remove the points plate and follow it's cable to the connection point where the Dyna-S cable will replace it. You will be unplugging a white and black wire. The Dyna-S cable will have a white, black and red wire. Plug the white and black wires to their respective colors and bring the red wire to this point and snap the red connectors together. They all come together in a black rubber boot near the front of the left side cover. Mark your Dyna Plate as close as you can to the position of the points plate when it's on the bike and it should be close enough to fire right up. Check it with a timing light on 1-4 and also check 2-3. You might have to slip the right hand module on the little Allen screws to bring it to the timing marks. They are close enough but I have never seen one dead on the mark. There will be a schematic with your Dyna-S in the instructions.
                  Last edited by OldVet66; 06-28-2017, 08:24 PM.
                  '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Well person i got her from doesn't know the history, but i found the original owners name and it belonged to him until 2012. Maybe ill send him a letter.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2017, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Another bike saved by Vetter bike guards. Looks nice. Good luck and enjoy your new ride.
                      Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                      Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                      Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Does the engine turn over? The '79 model had a safety switch in the clutch lever, engine won't turn over unless the clutch is pulled in if it's working normally. I had the wiring in mine get disconnected in the headlight. Some people just bypass that circuit altogether by putting a jumper in it.
                        sigpic
                        Steve
                        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by jjbmxer View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]51772[/ATTACH]Well vetter windjammer is off as are the samsonite bags and back rest. Found a Cylmers manual and an owners manual and spare keys. Also what looks like the original head lamp harness. I will post another pic soon, gotta tinker a lil and see why it wont start and then put the side covers back on. has a Lilley key tag and Lilley of Lancaster frame on the plate.
                          Welcome!

Nice looking bike now that all the accessories are removed.

Ed
                          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks sedelen good to know, person i got it from said it wouldnt do anything. just waiting on a battery didnt come with one.
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2017, 01:30 AM.

Comment

I had no idea the bike was red from the first picture. Nice.
                              Current Bikes:
                              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Working...
                              X