Returning to a shaft drive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning to a shaft drive.

Hi All, Picking up a 82 GS1100G tomorrow . 39K original miles. Mostly stock,2nd owner and looks to have been garaged its whole life. Runs but sat 6 months with ethanol gas so idle circut clogged. Looking forward to having a large cc bike again. I currently have three mid 70's rd350's and a 77 kz650. Kind of got into cars for the last ten years or so . Been through a slew of 60's cars and trucks, with the current being a 64 Dodge Polara with a 440 with 727 and 3.91 gears w/suregrip .
    I owned a GS850G back in the early 90's while I lived on St Thomas USVI. Wanted another since I got back to the states. Found this one about an hour from me on craigs list. gs left.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2017, 10:52 PM.

Welcome to the forum. I saw that on CL Ocala, looks to be a nice bike and you will surly love the power and smoothness of the 1100G once you take care of the usuals. I'd ditch the pull back bars in favor of Daytonas or Euros if you not going to put a fairing back on.
    Last edited by gsrick; 06-26-2017, 10:57 PM.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Very nice find and welcome back to the shaft world.
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

It has a 1100GK seat on it. The gauges look GK to me as well. Maybe it's a GK without the fairing and luggage.
        Current Bikes:
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Sadly a shaft loses 90 per cent of your HP
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
            Sadly a shaft loses 90 per cent of your HP
            GS1100G must have 700+ HP at the crank then

Sweet bike lots of power and torque !
            Last edited by Rijko; 06-27-2017, 01:06 PM.
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Ran some rec gas with berriman and it is holding idle at 600 rpm. Engine looks unmolested with no rounded bolts ect. . some funky led headlight and non functioning bilnkers. Front end is way sloopy. Will change the oil and see if they hold any pressue. Other then that I think I GOT Asweet deal at 1400 buckaroos.

Comment

Ran some rec gas with berriman and it is holding idle at 600 rpm. Engine looks unmolested with no rounded bolts ect. . some funky led headlight and non functioning bilnkers. Front end is way sloopy. Will change the oil and see if they hold any pressue. Other then that I think I got a sweet deal at 1400 buckaroos.

Comment

Other side.1
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2017, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Any chance you can get the helium out of the tires?

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Any chance you can get the helium out of the tires? .

That bike looks great, sweet deal !!
                      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                      Bikecliff's website
                      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Definaly a GK seat, and GK pegs.

But not GK Tank.
                        Not GK tail piece.
                        Not GK rear shock.
                        Dont see the GK instrument cover.

And, the "big tell": I dont see the extra gusset and fairing mount points on the frame that a GK will have.

About the only reason you would want to know is relative to the front forks/tubes.
                        The GK has larger fork tubes (so different seals) and tubes are wider apart (so differnt trees and such).

Last edited by Redman; 06-27-2017, 06:35 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks Redman , The forks are my biggest concern right now. Unrideable as is. Hoping oil and a little air will take care of the softness. Ordered a manual , but anybody know what factory pumped them up to( have a low pressure pump from my dirt bike days). Sorry about the flipped shots . Posted with my phone and didn't catch the flip.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2017, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosquito13 View Post
                            The forks are my biggest concern right now. Unrideable as is. Hoping oil and a little air will take care of the softness.
                            Do yourself and your bike a favor. Measure the diameter of the forks to determine whether you have G or GK forks, then order seals to match. While you have them apart, slide in some new springs from Sonic Suspension, then you won't have to worry about ANY air at all.

Sonic springs are available in several rates, I would suspect that either the 1.0 or 1.1 springs would be good on that bike, depending on your gravitational attraction and riding style.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mosquito13 View Post
                              Ran some rec gas with berriman and it is holding idle at 600 rpm. Engine looks unmolested with no rounded bolts ect. . some funky led headlight and non functioning bilnkers. Front end is way sloopy. Will change the oil and see if they hold any pressue. Other then that I think I GOT Asweet deal at 1400 buckaroos.
                              Last time I was in Fort Meyers you guys weren't upside down...maybe it's just the pic.
                              Welcome aboard and back to shaft drive.......oh, and Mopars rule too {biased opinion}.

Comment

Working...
                              X