Gotz me a Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotz me a Star

I bought this 2005 VStar 1100(18,640 mls) from the bosses son. The son started a finance company and I've been driving all around picking up turn in and bikes that have been repoed. It was a turn in that I picked up just a couple of miles away from the shop. No keys, the ignition was cut and it's missing the right side cover and a front turn lens, but over all it's pretty solid. I immediately got it fired up, but kind of down played it's potential. Well 6 months later I finally had the spare cash from the sale of the Ts and got it for $800, what was owed on the loan. I brought it home last Tuesday and went on eBay looking for a key set. Bingo, a set from a '04 VStar 650 for $85 shipped. I got here quick, showed up in the mail today. I already charged the battery and drained the tank of putred fuel. Put in a gallon or two of gas installed the new cap and ignition and she fired right up. It has after market pipes that roar out that V-Twin rumble. It settled into a nice lopy idle, checked the charging system, lighting system and it's all good. I didn't get to test ride it, because it started raining. The front brake seems to work, but I'm not sure about the rear yet. The weather man says it going to be raining again in the afternoon-evening time for the next few days.

There was a nice custom 1100 for sale when I got back into riding in 2010 that was out of my price range. It was a beautiful turquoise and white. I think I'm going to do a mild custom similar to it. Clean it up a bit, minimize the lighting some. Maybe lower the rear a little and get an aftermarket rear fender that drops down more. There is too large a gap between the tire and rear fender. Side tag and tail light conversion. IDK just what yet. I've had a few tail light ideas running around in my head for a couple years. I'm thinking of painting it to match the '55 Chevy. I could paint the wheel spokes black and have the seat reupholstered in the off white I used in the '55 with a tuck and roll insert. It would be a nice compliment piece at shows along side the Bel Air.

GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

"Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Thanks for the link, but I've already been scoping out their lowering kit and beach bars . They have a sweet air ride lowering kit, but it costs as much as the bike did. I'm going the cheap route for now.
      GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Not my cuppa tea visually (they gray one looks like a snail), but sure looks like a fine deal for 800 buckaroos. 👍
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I hear ya, Rick. I like the 1100 in particular because of the power that motor can make with PCS stuff.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Gonna need to see pics of the 55 first.

Comment

The gray one is FUGLY. Looks like an OCC nightmare.

Comment

That's a style that came and went about 15 years ago.

Comment

I'm digging it. Same cruiser style as my VTX. Ride on and enjoy.

Comment

Sounds like a great deal. I hope you're as happy with the cruiser (Harley) style, as I am with my regular bikes styl
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
                      Gonna need to see pics of the 55 first.
                      It has the ARE wheels you see on the right rear.

GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                        The gray one is FUGLY. Looks like an OCC nightmare.
                        It was the only one I could find on short notice that has gone with a minimalist look. I don't want the fender to completely wrap under, but I do want a smooth fender with no ridge.
                        GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by B.C.G.S. View Post
                          That's a style that came and went about 15 years ago.
                          Not looking for that style and I don't build to impress others. The '55 has been smoothed out and will have very little trim,I want to do the V-Star similar to that style. Not chopper, not bagger, not bobber, just a smooth cruiser with some nice pin strip accents.
                          GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Some inspiration.

GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                              It was the only one I could find on short notice that has gone with a minimalist look. I don't want the fender to completely wrap under, but I do want a smooth fender with no ridge.
                              That sounds cool... I don't like the big wrap-under fender. Smooth makes sense. I like the '55

Comment

Working...
                              X