No announcement yet.

Gotz me a Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice deal, most of the ones I see done up look like snails from the movie Turbo.

Comment

Todays test ride in the hood.

We finally had a dry evening after work so, I took advantage and jumped on the V. There seems to be a slow leak as I had to pump up the rear tire for the second time in a week. After securing the tag/turn signal bar to the rear fender, I haven't a clue to why the screws were missing, and after pulling the handle bars back a little to a more comfortable position, I fired it up. Amazingly it starts without the choke and settles into a nice idle right away. I couldn't be happier about that, especially since it's been sitting for at least 5 or 6 months since I picked it up and put it in the corner of the shop and there's no telling how long it sat before that as the tag expired last year. Before I brought it home last week I drained the tank and that gas was nasty.

So after a minute or two of warming up, I donned my and gloves helmet and let'r rip. It has surprising power for being only a 1100 and sounds awesome. I'm only saying that because there are other bikes with up to 2000cc. I was actually going to hold out for a 1600 or 1700 Road Star, but this puppy will move. It didn't take long to find an issue I'm going to have to take care of before it can hit the road regularly. The clutch can be overpowered by the engine if I nail it. This appears to be a weak link in the VStar as it has a diaphragm style clutch. Barnett makes a coil spring conversion kit with heavy duty spring upgrade for under $200. I can ride it as it is, but I know how my wrist is. I'm going the need that conversion or I'll wind up burning up the discs and warping the plates. I'm guessing they are still ok since the clutch only slips if I throttle it hard.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Some things just work out right.

After finding the clutch can slip if I nail it, I was think of getting the conversion to a coil spring set up, but I found an ad on CList for a OEM clutch kit going for less than 1/2 the factory cost $160. For $75 I get new plates, discs, diaphragm spring, wire ring and a cover gasket. I also found a like new front seat for $25. Both ads were listed in the Tampa CList, but were both actually cities north of there in Tarpon Springs and Hudson. I contacted them both and though the ads were both a month old, they both still had them. Now to figure how to get them. This was Thursday night, so I go into work Friday and I'm told I have to go to St.Pete area(Largo) to get two turn in bikes, then head south to Ft Myers for four more bikes that the boss bought off the Manhiem Auction, on Saturday. Sweet, I have a reason to go down there, while I'm getting paid.

Well, both guys were willing to meet me, but in different areas and that would have made things difficult, being that they were a half an hour apart, but I could swing it if the cards played out right. So Saturday morning came and I woke up to a text from the clutch guy saying he couldn't meet at his time and spot and said he could meet later in the day. That sucked, because I wanted to install the clutch this weekend. After a few more texts and getting the address's for the bike stops in Largo, I managed to get both guys to meet at a third spot that was closer to them and gave me a direct shot down to where the bikes are. Win win.

On a different note, I had noticed this '88 Kat down in Ft Myers two weeks earlier while looking around on Clist, but since it is a 3 1/2 hour drive one way, kind of shook it off as a "stop dreaming Rick" deal. Guess what I did after picking up the bikes at the auction? Yup, went and checked it out. The guy called me back on the way to get the V-Star parts, filled me in on some details and texted me his address. It's a beautiful stock, one owner bike and he gave me his lowest out the door price of $1,500, but I bet if I come close he may let it go a little lower. It needs the carbs cleaned, a battery and just the usual three year hiatus things done to it. The tank smells of old gas, but it nice inside. Said he tried to get it running last year, but it would run on spray and choke and that only three exhaust pipe warmed up. I already have a set of carbs that work on the abandoned Kat that I sold Eric the body work off of.

GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Nice looking Katana and great how things worked out for you on the parts.
          David
          1998 Suzuki Bandit
          1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
          1978 GS1000 - gone
          1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

We need to hook up on some of these deals you run across. I come down to FL every couple months and can easily bring my trailer. Let me know if you spot a good deal and maybe we both can make a few $$$ out of the deal.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I don't really, but when I do, I'm a hoarder.
              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Working...
              X