Ignition problem Gs850x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition problem Gs850x

Hi I changed the oil and filter Sunday so I thought I would warm the bike up and check for possible leaks this is prior to going to Spain/Portugal on the 9 th July (ferry booked and paid)
    the bike started first time as usual warmed it up then stopped it, then I thought I would check the charging rate got out my meter and the bike would not start or show any signs of firing (it was spinning ok on the starter) I checked all the fuses and they tested ok.
    i tried to start the bike and it fired up ok then stopped it and tried to restart and again no sign of firing and has not ran since.
    checked the voltage feed at the coils with both coils disconnected and got 12.5 volts on both, connected one and tested the feed on the other and got 12.5 v then reversed the procedure and the reading was 11.5v ?
    it appears that cylinder 1-4 coil is not sparking, at one point it started to spark but the longer it turned over it stopped compleatly. cylinder 2-3 coil is sparking but it looks weak I tested the coils for resistance and they are reading 4.2 ohm primary plug cap to plug cap I am getting 21-23k ohm secondary.
    any ideas please?
    new motobat batteryfitted last week.
    could the igniter be the problem? Need to get this fixed.
    Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 06-27-2017, 03:27 PM.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Your coils sound good.... Check electrical plugs running to and from ignitor,signal coils,and ignition coils. Just replace the 10 amp ignition fuse- it might be dropping voltage to ignitor too much during cranking.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi Tom thanks for the reply I will do the checks you recommended, you gave me an idea when you mentioned about the possible drop in voltage I am going to put the old battery back ( I changed it just to be sure whilst in Spain/Portugal) to see if the new one is faulty.
      will post findings tomorrow.
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

Hi, I went into the garage this morning and replaced the battery with the old yuasa wet cell battery the bike started first time and ran perfectly nothing else was touched and the bike was not moved from last evening when it would not start
        I then put back the motobatt battery and again it started as normal checked the charging and that is as spec.
        my son-in-law came down with a professional battery tester (he is a master mechanic and into bikes) both batterys passed all the tests.
        we did a load test on the bike whilst cranking and again both battery's came up good, thing that is bugging me now is will this happen whilst travelling Being we could not find the fault as the bike is running ok now.
        later I did all the things tom reccomended did not find any dirty contacts I did replace the 10 amp ingnition fuse.
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

I've had fuses, especially the glass type, that looked fine and dandy, and would test well across when out of the bike, but the moment they saw heat, wouldn't work.

Cross fingers it was a bad contact, and carry a few spare fuses in case the dying fuse is symptomatic of a larger problem.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Probably nothing....but learn how to bump start or find jump start buddies. I carry a 1 pound lithium jumper battery setup in case of system failure.

but this....

"my son-in-law came down with a professional battery tester (he is a master mechanic and into bikes) "

This gets me thinking what my two daughters should be looking for!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Probably nothing....

but this....

"my son-in-law came down with a professional battery tester (he is a master mechanic and into bikes) "

This gets me thinking what my two daughters should be looking for!
              it just happens that I will be traveling on my Gs850 to Spain/Portugal along with my son-in-law on his Vstrom.😀
              I will post our progress if anyone is interested ? we will be calling at Merida Spain (on ukjules recommendation)
              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
              past bikes. RF900
              TL1000s
              Hayabusa
              gsx 750f x2
              197cc Francis Barnett
              various British nails

Comment

Hi after testing the ignition coils, signal generator and igniter all showed ok and in spec the only thing we had a doubt about was the connectors from the igniter and signal generator they showed no resistance when mating them up so I took the nucular decision to cut off the connectors and I soldered and shrink wrapped the joints. Today I went for a test ride (100 miles round trip) the bike ran great with no issues so fingers crossed.

on
                Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 07-03-2017, 02:48 PM.
                1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                past bikes. RF900
                TL1000s
                Hayabusa
                gsx 750f x2
                197cc Francis Barnett
                various British nails

Comment

You should consider possibly getting new boots to your sparkplugs or maybe checking the wires that run from your coils to your boots. On my honda 300ex fourwheeler it would start and then nothing. After going through and checking everything I decided to replace the wire and boot to the Spark Plug and now it starts up every time. Not saying it will fix your issues but it's probably worth a shot.

Comment

It's possible that you had a loose connection at the battery.

I worked on a friend's bike earlier this year. Couldn't test the charging because the bike wouldn't start. He had had it on a tender a couple of times over the winter, so did not suspect the battery. When I got it into the shop for testing, the screws holding the wires to the battery were not even snug, let alone tight. Cranked them down a turn or two (I told you they were loose), bike started with no problem.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi thanks for the replies the tests on the primary &. secondary checks on the coils are well within suzuki specs the spark plug caps are new ngk.
                      The battery is a new AGM put on last week by myself the connections are tight.
                      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                      past bikes. RF900
                      TL1000s
                      Hayabusa
                      gsx 750f x2
                      197cc Francis Barnett
                      various British nails

Comment

Working...
                      X