79' 850gn, cylinders over spec. Limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79' 850gn, cylinders over spec. Limits

Just found out my pistons are out of spec., other than replacing with another 850 set of jugs is there other options.

What's out of spec? Piston skirt, cylinder walls, ring lands, ring gap? What are you measuring and how?
    '82 GS450T

Comment

I took to my mechanic, he measured with digital gauges, the cylinder walls, basically the hole is too big for the pistons, way oversized, iwas getting oil blowpast on my # 1 cylinder especially, .

Comment

Originally posted by newfyby View Post
        I took to my mechanic, he measured with digital gauges, the cylinder walls, basically the hole is too big for the pistons, way oversized, iwas getting oil blowpast on my # 1 cylinder especially, .
        Im good now, just picked up an '82, full engine, just gonna swapem out.Is there any problems with doing this or is it pretty. Straight. Forward.!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by newfyby View Post
          Im good now, just picked up an '82, full engine, just gonna swapem out.Is there any problems with doing this or is it pretty. Straight. Forward.!!!!!
          The heads, carbs, and ignition systems are different. Probably lots more, but those are the big things off the top of my head.

Comment

So I go to look at the '82 motor and low and behold it's actually a '79 engine in an '82 frame, kickstarter and all.

Comment

Working...
            X