2V GS750 Engine Assembly Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2V GS750 Engine Assembly Question.

Hey guys, just assembling the top end on my gs750. Couple of questions, do you know if the jugs are supposed to have two or just one of these pins over the head studs. Also any idea where this oring/washer goes. Both the manual and exploded views are very unclear on both.

Pics https://goo.gl/photos/GukniqA5rd2ByDNN7

That sealing washer looks to be from the head gasket, there should be 4 to go on the outer cylinder studs location in the head gasket. The rear outer studs at cylinder base should have egg shaped O rings that sit in a recess in the crank case.
    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

I bought a NOS gasket set off Ebay. One of those sealing washers was missing but I found some of similar size on Amazon.

Pretty sure there are two of those pins. I'll check this evening. I'm planning to reassemble my motor this weekend.
      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Thanks guys for the help! Looks like the PO was running the engine with only 1 of those dowel pins, I'll have to get another before I can proceed.

Comment

Yep I have two of those pins. Part number is 04211-13189. It's #7 on the cylinder parts diagram.
          Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but any other tips or tricks to remember when reassembling a motor?
            Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

#1 cleanliness, keep all the parts as clean as possible. Be meticulous.
              #2 Gasket Surfaces, be sure to get any old gasket material off but do not use any sort of scraper that will dig into the aluminum.
              #3 lubrication, be sure to oil any new orings you install. I lie to lightly lubricate the pistons and cylinder walls aswell.
              #4 use new piston circlips, the old ones deform when you remove them.

Comment

Thanks! I've been cleaning like crazy for the past few weeks. It's crazy hour much junk was in and on the engine.

I was just gonna replace the 4 pin circlips I removed but for a buck out so, I went ahead and bought 8 new ones.
                Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

D day! Any other tips? Gonna put the case halves together.
                  Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Slowly getting this thing back together. Got the cases together and tried to spin the input shaft and shift through the gears. When I spin the input shaft (counterclockwise looking at the clutch side), the "idler gear" on the kick starter (#4 in the diagram) makes a click each time the cog (#9) pushes the idler gear away and the spring pushes it back. I did line up the mark on the idler gear with the mark on the shaft. Any idea what I did wrong here? When I removed the kick starter shaft, it came apart in my hand. I used the parts diagram to reassemble but I must have gotten something wrong.

Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Got it! The tab on part #4 is supposed to be touching the bottom of part #7. Looking through the lower case I saw that tab facing forward. I was able to remove the spring, rotate the shaft into the proper position resting on top of #7, then reinstall the spring. Spins without clicking now.
                      Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Worked most of the day on Sunday and Monday. It was truly a test of patience to get the pistons back in the cylinders but finally got it done. The motor is 99% back together but I have one "extra" part.

I had this washer in a zip lock bag with the clutch cover screws and the filler cap. I can't remember where exactly it came from, but I know it's from under or around the right side cover. It fits on the end of the kick starter shaft but no washer is shown in the diagram. I'm tempted to use it there if I can't find a clear answer.

What do you think?

Just noticed my shifter lever has fallen off the shifter pawl. Will be sure to fix that before I close it up.
                        Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

If the engine number is between 30728 and 38952 then it is a 1.5mm spacer that goes on the kickstarter shaft between the spring guide and the clutch cover. Engine numbers after that had a longer spring guide. (number 6 on your diagram) Dar

Comment

You're the man Dar! I think my engine number is 30771 and the washer measures just under 1.5mm thick.
                            Jordan

2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Working...
                            X