Stinky bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stinky bike?

Ok..... now that I've solved my high idle mystery (warped butterfly valve on the #3 carb), it's on to the next issue. As my signature says, buying this 850 is my way of rekindling an old enthusiasm for these bikes. I bought the twin to my current GS850G when it was new in 1981. Back then, emissions controls were still pretty rudimentary - especially on motorcycles. Nowadays, cars (and bikes) don't pollute - or stink - hardly at all (thank God!) due to MUCH improved emissions controls. Both of my bikes now (my GS850G and my '81 Honda CB900 Custom) smell of raw gasoline when they run - as though they're running rich. So my question is: should I expect them to NOT smell that way, or is it just the way they are, even when they're perfect, and I never noticed it 36 years ago when I had a NEW 850?

I'll be watching for an answer as both of mine smell of gasoline also.
    Alan

sigpic
    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
      Both of my bikes now (my GS850G and my '81 Honda CB900 Custom) smell of raw gasoline when they run - as though they're running rich.
      If you are running the airbox, stock jetting and stock exhaust and they stink then they aren't as perfect as you think. My 1100E smells a bit rich on cold start up but it doesn't once warm and I know the mixture screws are a touch on the rich side. That's with pods and Kerker 4-1 pipe, not the OEM setup. Stock shouldn't smell at all with the choke off and warmed up.

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
        If you are running the airbox, stock jetting and stock exhaust and they stink then they aren't as perfect as you think. My 1100E smells a bit rich on cold start up but it doesn't once warm and I know the mixture screws are a touch on the rich side. That's with pods and Kerker 4-1 pipe, not the OEM setup. Stock shouldn't smell at all with the choke off and warmed up.

Mark
        Hi Mark. Thanks for that input. Yes, I am running the stock airbox, jetting and mufflers. So assuming all that is correct, then the only other thing to adjust is the mixture screws - is that what you're telling me? I have them set at 2.5 turns right now, and want to make sure I don't get it too lean. I've heard that the way to adjust the mixture screws is to adjust them for maximum idle speed, then correct the idle speed as needed with the idle adjustment screw.

Comment

One reason the bikes smell different is that the gas itself is different. Virtually all the gasoline available has a bunch of corn in it, instead of gasoline. Stock settings on the mixture screws were set with a machine at the factory for the optimum mixture that would meet the new EPA standards. The bikes did not run very well on that lean mixture (remember all the complaints of hard starting and long warm-up times?), so a slightly richer mixture helps that a bit. Parts in the carbs have worn a bit over the last 30+ years, which might require a slightly different mixture. And all that corn (ethanol) in the gas reqires a bit more liquid to flow, because ethanol has fewer BTUs per volume liquid.

Bottom line, your 2 1/2 turns might have you pretty close. Might require 2 3/8 or even 2 1/4, only some experimentation will tell, unless you have access to that machine that Suzuki used. Your "highest idle" method is close. To optimize it a bit, find your highest speed, then lean it out a bit until the speed starts dropping. Basically, you are looking for the leanest mixture that will idle cleanly, without misfiring.
          I ride many bikes.
          Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
            Hi Mark. Thanks for that input. Yes, I am running the stock airbox, jetting and mufflers. So assuming all that is correct, then the only other thing to adjust is the mixture screws - is that what you're telling me? I have them set at 2.5 turns right now, and want to make sure I don't get it too lean. I've heard that the way to adjust the mixture screws is to adjust them for maximum idle speed, then correct the idle speed as needed with the idle adjustment screw.
            Have a look at BassCliff's site for carb adjustment along with so much more: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Datsa Noydb also lists other reasons for it, including different fuel formulations and a few decades of wear on your carbs.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
            X