Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1997 Ducati Monster 750 Dark, not a restoration, just a fixer upper...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1997 Ducati Monster 750 Dark, not a restoration, just a fixer upper...

Now that my 1978 GS1000 is done (http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...rmance-Rebuild), I decided to finally get the Ducati running. She's been sitting in my garage for 2 years, picked her up for $500 from a friend.
    IMG_1067 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

The engine ran at one time, and the bike has been sitting since 2010. Carbs are literally glued shut from varnish.

Last week, I yanked the carbs and began a full disassembly - had to soak each body for a week just to get the throttle shafts to move. These are Mikuni BDST carbs - I found a supplier in Thailand (http://www.litetek.co) that provides a complete oring and gasket kit for them
    IMG_2517 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
    IMG_2531 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

The carb dip ate the zinc off the throttle parts, so, I will need to re-plate them this weekend.

Also, I got around to swapping the bars back to originals - the previous owner had installed a set of clip-ons (see first photo) that didn't allow the fork legs to sit at the correct height and the lines from the master cylinder and clutch slave were too long and sitting at weird angles. Fixed.
    IMG_2532 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

This weekend, I plan to get the carbs completely back together. More to follow...
    Last edited by philosopheriam; 07-15-2017, 09:00 AM.
    Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
    René Descartes

I wish i had a friend like that. haha.
    Certainly will be following along.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I have always liked the Monster's. Interested in how you find it to work on.

Comment

I really like the looks of those. They have a similar simple muscular look as the older bikes that I like. Good luck with getting it back on the road.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Monsters are cool.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
            I have always liked the Monster's. Interested in how you find it to work on.
            Not bad - I was able to locate the parts manual and service manual online. Sourcing parts has been interesting - I have been finding things like fork seals in England, carb kits in Thailand, and the rest of the stuff I need used on eBay. OEM Ducati parts will put you in the poor house

PS: Migrated the thread photos to Flickr this morning...
            René Descartes

Comment

7/8, Progress

Reassembled and installed the carbs, reinstalled the lights and gauge cluster, made an elegant *cough* temporary battery holder, installed some new spark plugs, checked all of the electrics, and adjusted the tension on the timing belts. All appears to be working properly - the light setup is aftermarket, and it interferes with the speedo cable (the cable hits the left-side light and it puts the cable at an akward angle). So, I had some 5/16" aluminum spacers lying around and they just happened to be the perfect height, so, I raised the entire gauge cluster by around 3/4" (see photos)
              IMG_2547 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
              IMG_2550 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
              IMG_2551 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
              IMG_2552 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
              IMG_2553 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
              IMG_2554 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Once I attached my temporary fuel tank, I discovered that the original vacuum fuel valve wasn't working - no biggie, at over $100 OEM, it's getting replaced with a manual inline fuel valve. I have a rebuild kit for the vacuum fuel pump sitting on my bench.

Long story short, I put the choke on, let the fuel bowls fill, and cranked her over - she fired right up within 5 sec Fork rebuild to be next week's project!
              René Descartes

Comment

7/15, Progress

Pulled the forks today - the seals were so bad that there was very little oil left in each leg. Cleaned the tubes with kerosene, flushed with ATF, let drain for 30min, and then refilled with 10w Fuchs Silkolene. Reused the stock springs and bushings as they were in decent shape. These Marzocchi forks were stupid easy to take apart and even easier to remove/replace the seals. I installed new dust wipers and oil seals.
                IMG_2555 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                IMG_2556 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                IMG_2559 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

While I had the front end apart, I decided to check the steering head bearings - glad I did. The bearings were in decent shape, but they needed a good cleaning and repacking.
                IMG_2561 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                IMG_2560 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                IMG_2562 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Done, no more leaks
                IMG_2563 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                René Descartes

Comment

nice project for 5 hundo! progress is looking good!
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

My friend had one of those. I didn't care to ride it much (but I was still a fairly new rider back then). I'd like to try again. Nice for a project though!
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Looks like another interesting project!
                      GS750EC, GS1100E, GS1150EG, Harris Magnum 2 (GS1170E motor), GSXR750F, Mk1 GSF1200, and finally Mk1 GSF600.

Comment

Progress over the past few weeks:

Painted the brake and clutch M/C caps, cleaned the calipers and installed new brake pads, flushed/bled all of the goo from the system,replaced the leaky brake M/C reservoir house with a piece of Tygon 2375 (withstands glycol), cleaned all of the previously-leaked brake fluid from the lever/pivot and polished the handle (clearcoat was destroyed).
                        IMG_2595 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                        IMG_2597 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                        IMG_2596 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Figured out a way to secure the brake lines and prevent them from rubbing on the forks or fender
                        IMG_2598 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                        IMG_2599 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Cleaned the headlight lenses and repaired the bulb sockets
                        IMG_2600 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Rebuilt the fuel pump
                        IMG_2611 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                        René Descartes

Comment

More progress:

Tail chop and frame straightening
                          IMG_2612 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                          IMG_2613 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                          IMG_2614 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                          IMG_2615 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Frame straightening jig (the R/R of the tail got tweaked downward when the bike went down)
                          IMG_2616 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                          IMG_2617 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Unbent!
                          IMG_2618 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                          René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by philosopheriam View Post
                            More progress:

Tail chop and frame straightening
                            IMG_2612 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                            IMG_2613 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                            IMG_2614 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                            IMG_2615 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Frame straightening jig (the R/R of the tail got tweaked downward when the bike went down)
                            IMG_2616 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                            IMG_2617 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Unbent!
                            IMG_2618 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                            Anthony, that's a very ingenious way to straighten a sub frame.

I really struggled with my GS650E to find a suitable and safe way to do the same, ended up using a 6ft bar and 2 people to hold the bike.

I figured mine may have been damaged by a flat bed tow truck driver, as they seem to always prefer to put the bike on the side stand and then place a few tie downs on the bars and then put a strap across the back of the seat and tighten it down, which if really cranked down can bend the sub frame on the right side.

I had this happen on a BMW 1150GS but managed to stop the guy before he did any damage.

Nice job on this bike, the plating on the carb bits looks excellent as usual.

David
                            2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                            2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                            1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                            2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                            1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                            1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                            1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                            Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

So, this project was on the backburner for awhile until I got some other projects and work stuff out of the way.

However, nice weather has returned and it's time to get cracking again!

Today's progress:

Got 90% of the back end put back together today: Removed the swingarm to inspect the pivot bearings - in Ducati's infinite wisdom, they decided to make the bearings impossible to remove with the engine cases together (the bearings are driven from the inside to the outside of each case half). Luckily, they were in good shape with no grittyness, so, I just cleaned and regreased them. While the swingarm was off, I soaked the chain in kerosene and cleaned years of crud off it. I removed all of the goo from the chain area of the engine cases and swingarm - a good portion of the day was spent de-crudding all of the parts going back together. The rear shock was had a basic rebuild done by RaceTech - it had zero nitrogen charge left and the elastomeric bumper and seal head were garbage.
                              IMG_2804 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                              IMG_2806 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Several months ago, I repaired the RT side exhaust can. When the previous owner went down with the bike, the outside edge of the can (near the inlet pipe) scraped across the ground and destroyed the rivet band and peeled the edge of the stainless can. I bent back the edge of the can and had it welded, then I fabricated a new stainless band from a small sheet of 304 stainless. I sourced a new rear tire hugger from ebay and installed it, too. I cleaned the rear caliper and replaced the pads, then flushed/bled the system several times until it ran clean. exhaust repair by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr
                              IMG_2808 by Anthony Monteleone, on Flickr

Next week: reinstall the airbox and tidy up the tail end with a custom tail/turn mount and license plate holder.
                              Last edited by philosopheriam; 03-18-2018, 05:43 PM.
                              René Descartes

Comment

Working...
                              X