Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a GS1000 to the track, advice needed

hi all,

i want to take a 1978 GS1000 to the track.
    This is the basis for what i want to use.

377a559d-51fd-4f3e-82a6-f3a21797dbbf.jpg

I am calling upon The Force that is GSR to help me get this bike up to par, to aid this novice achieve a lot of fun.
    The goal is to get a bike that will be fun to hone my driving skills at reasonable cost.
    Solutions cheap enough to not end the hobby if i drop the bike.

Engine is standard, and i have several sets of carbs like VM28SS, 29mm smoothbores, early GSX750 flatslides.
    Have Norris GS750 mild cams i understand will work on a GS1000.

Ordered a M-Unit v2.
    Have a Dyna S, and a Dyna 2000 with 2.2. Ohm coils on the way.

Ordered a Compu-Fire but willing to drop starter motor, rotor/stator and RR
    if that makes sense to go total-loss ignition.

Have an aluminum GS1100 rear fork and new Koni's as well as Marzocchi AG Strada shocks.

Have standard GS1000 spoked wheels, too.

Looking for good tyres for the track. TT100 ? Avon ?

Have read Smithy use 4 cm added length to front fork.
    Have the MikesXS cartridge emulators and got the dimensions for converters from Dan (thanks Dan !)

Will use the twin-pot brakes from Dan's upgrade if that is a good option.
    Chuck recommended nice 23mm offset discs ( http://www.ebay.nl/itm/252773128244 ) Thank you Chuck !

Help me out setting this bike up for the track ?

Thank you !
    Rijk
    Last edited by Rijko; 06-28-2017, 07:24 PM.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Curious what your intention is on the track?
    To race or do trackdays?
    Does this bike get use on the street or will it, after going to the track?
    Are the cams in the bike now?
    Have you ever been on the track?
    Have all the carbs been tried on the motor?

Lots of questions, but I think all the above matters as to how the bike is set up.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

If the track is mud I'd recommend knobies... ☺
      My Motorcycles:
      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)
      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I've tracked my gs1100 several times, it's mostly stock... Hagon rear shocks, sonic fork springs, recent brake master cylinder rebuild and stainless lines, Shinko tour master tires... it does fine. Just have all the maintenance up to date and running smooth and have fun.
        -1980 GS1100 LT
        -1975 Honda cb750K
        -1972 Honda cl175
        - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

If you've not raced or done a trackday before, leave it as stock as possible to start with.
          Modify it as you think you need to - and only when you've identified a need for change.

IMO unless you're really short, the footrests are too high. With the very flat seat, you're going to need to use your legs to help locate yourself.
          I'd drop them about 50mm. Ground clearance won't suffer as the alternator cover will touch down first...

Don't take the electric start off - they're a heavy pig to push start....

Comment

Unless you're addressing a reliability issue, leave the motor alone. As a newbie track rider the last thing you need is more power.
            Spend your money on suspension and tires.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
              Unless you're addressing a reliability issue, leave the motor alone. As a newbie track rider the last thing you need is more power.
              The above can be said for the street as well, for riders of any level.
              I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                Curious what your intention is on the track?
                To race or do trackdays?
                Does this bike get use on the street or will it, after going to the track?
                Are the cams in the bike now?
                Have you ever been on the track?
                Have all the carbs been tried on the motor?

Lots of questions, but I think all the above matters as to how the bike is set up.
                Just trackdays, and i want to use the bike on the road too even if it takes some
                work to add some parts back on the bike.
                I have lots of wheels, so if it makes sense i will dedicate a set of wheels to that.

Standard cams in the engine atm.

I have never been on the track, not looking for maximum power because i think
                i can get myself in enough trouble with 90-100 hp
                If i find i really need more power i have an engine with 130 hp but being a novice
                on the track i think it's not wise to start with that much power.

Only a set of VM26SS carbs have been on the bike.
                I have several 4-1 exhausts i can use.
                Last edited by Rijko; 06-29-2017, 04:40 AM.
                Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                  If you've not raced or done a trackday before, leave it as stock as possible to start with.
                  Modify it as you think you need to - and only when you've identified a need for change.

IMO unless you're really short, the footrests are too high. With the very flat seat, you're going to need to use your legs to help locate yourself.
                  I'd drop them about 50mm. Ground clearance won't suffer as the alternator cover will touch down first...

Don't take the electric start off - they're a heavy pig to push start....
                  good thinking, i'm tall and these footrests are not comfortable.
                  I have other seats, too so no problem to mount one of those to gain some extra room.

I like the electric start, a few kilos won't make much of a difference especially
                  for an inexperienced rider. Only reason i was thinking to take off the genny was for ground clearance.
                  Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

Comment

Good advice, thank you.

I hear a lot of good things on this forum about the Sonic's.
                    What would you recommend for the front, the 1.1 kg Sonic springs ?

I'm 185-190 lbs, if i use the spring rate calculator with extra weight
                    for gear, racing use, it advices 1.2 kg springs.
                    Don't see those listed on the site anymore.

Tracks are smooth in my area.

I have MikesXS cartridge emulators, should i use them with those springs ?

I have new but 25 year old Koni's for the back, hope that combines well.
                    Or is this old technology, and should i go for YSS or something like that ?
                    Ohlins are a bit expensive for me.

Looking for advice on tires too, i hear the Shinko's have lots of grip.
                    Would they be your choice too ?
                    Last edited by Rijko; 06-29-2017, 04:49 AM.
                    Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

Comment

Shinkos wouldn't be my first choice, but they were already on the bike... and traction wasn't an issue with them.
                      I also track and race a cl175 in the AHRMA series, you'd be amazed at how much fun even 18 hp could be.
                      Last edited by Tom R; 06-29-2017, 08:43 AM.
                      -1980 GS1100 LT
                      -1975 Honda cb750K
                      -1972 Honda cl175
                      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Don't forget your brakes either. Slowing down better will improve your times more than going faster better.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                          Good advice, thank you.

I hear a lot of good things on this forum about the Sonic's.
                          What would you recommend for the front, the 1.1 kg Sonic springs ?

I'm 185-190 lbs, if i use the spring rate calculator with extra weight
                          for gear, racing use, it advices 1.2 kg springs.
                          Don't see those listed on the site anymore.

Tracks are smooth in my area.

I have MikesXS cartridge emulators, should i use them with those springs ?

I have new but 25 year old Koni's for the back, hope that combines well.
                          Or is this old technology, and should i go for YSS or something like that ?
                          Ohlins are a bit expensive for me.

Looking for advice on tires too, i hear the Shinko's have lots of grip.
                          Would they be your choice too ?
                          The 1.2kg/mm springs would be way too much. The 1.1s should be good for you. Definitely use the emulators.
                          I don't have any experience with Konis, they may be ok, but won't be anything like a set of good, modern shocks. Should be decent to start with, but I highly recommend saving up for a set of Ohlins.
                          Chassis geometry is crucial also, I don't have much advice there having never taken an old GS to the track.
                          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I went with .5" longer (13.5") Works Performance Street Tracker shocks a long time ago.
                            First time on the track was in 2000, then took a 11 year hiatus for whatever reason.
                            At that time, I had the stock Katana shocks that caused the rotor cover to grind on high load left handers.
                            It can also be said that my body position wasn't ideal, causing more lean than neccessary to make the corner.
                            Coaches suggested getting at least a butt cheek off the seat, to lower the center of gravity.
                            I still probably could afford to hang off more, especially in right handers.
                            I tend to feel more comfortable going left eventhough the ground clearance is less on that side.
                            1980 leading axle forks had more adjustment than the 83's with the axle on the end and no preload or dampening adjustment.
                            Totally antiquated, but still works fairly well. I use 20W fork oil with Progressive Springs, pvc spacer, but no emulators yet.
                            The forks are lowered 3mm to quicken steering, however might be moot with a 61" + wheelbase, though I think with the longer shocks it makes a slight difference in handling.
                            I been running mis matched tires for years and really like the profile/grip of Dunlops 591SP front tire.
                            Nobody else here seems to use this tire due to the short life span.
                            It has a Harley moniker on the sidewall, but the compound is great on the track.
                            Pirelli Sport Demon in the rear works great.
                            I'm tempted to try Continental, but haven't yet.
                            I guess if VM26 carbs aren't set up for the 4-1 pipe, maybe try the stockers, but if ground clearance is an issue after the first day on track a pipe might be a good idea.
                            I don't think 4-1 pipes with oil plug and filter access will be any better ground clearance wise, they scrape at the collector.
                            Gotta use the RR style pipe that goes directly under the engine. The pipe could save 30 lbs of weight which is significant and put less weight on the suspension.
                            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

The 1.2kg/mm springs would be way too much. The 1.1s should be good for you. Definitely use the emulators.
                              I don't have any experience with Konis, they may be ok, but won't be anything like a set of good, modern shocks. Should be decent to start with, but I highly recommend saving up for a set of Ohlins.
                              Chassis geometry is crucial also, I don't have much advice there having never taken an old GS to the track.
                              Thanks for your advice Rich !
                              I just ordered the 1.1 kg/mm springs.
                              Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                              Bikecliff's website
                              The Stator Papers

Comment

Working...
                              X