#3 cylinder fires....eventually

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#3 cylinder fires....eventually

Hi all. I'm getting close. I finally found the problem with my high idle on my '81 GS850G; it was a bent throttle butterfly valve on the #3 carb. Fixed it with a good one from Ebay.

So now that it idles normally, another problem has cropped up. The #3 cylinder takes at least 2-3 minutes to start firing. In the interim, it pops and backfires. Once it starts to fire, the bike smooths out pretty nicely and pulls pretty strong. I know just enough about these carbs now to suspect a clogged (or partially clogged) pilot jet. Any other suggestions?

Im thinking they need vacuum syned now..Steve just did those carbs and unless something migrated past the in tank filter of the petcock or a little rubber sluffed off the main fuel feed line a clogged jet isnt the problem. If they arent synced with gauges then what happens is the offending cylinders butterfly doesnt open at the same gap as the rest are at...thus it takes longer for that cylinder to catch...and stop popping.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Is #3 cylinder sparking ?
      UKJULES
      ---------------------------------
      Owner of following bikes:
      1980 Suzuki GS550ET
      1977 Yamaha RD 250D
      1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
      1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
        Is #3 cylinder sparking ?
        Yes. It does run after 3-4 minutes, and it couldn't do that if it didn't have spark.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2017, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Is the valve lash pretty close (especially on #3)?
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

I checked the valves before I started this adventure; all were within spec except for one, and we replaced the shim to bring in spec.

Comment

Working...
            X