Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing speedo and tach

1980 gs850gl

I want to remove the speedo and tach. Can I leave the cables in place and just hide them or should I pull the cables and plug the holes somehow?

Advice?

Why are you wanting to remove them when they are pretty necessary to riding safely and legally (at least in my mind)
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      Why are you wanting to remove them when they are pretty necessary to riding safely and legally (at least in my mind)
      '
      I'm bobbing the bike... And where I live they're not required, just don't get caught speeding lol

Comment

Further proof that bobbers are a dumb idea.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Tiny View Post
          1980 gs850gl

I want to remove the speedo and tach. Can I leave the cables in place and just hide them or should I pull the cables and plug the holes somehow?

Advice?
          I would remove the cables and plug the holes. If nothing else, the speedo drive on the front axle can be rotated so the opening is pointing down a bit to keep water from getting in. The tach drive is a bit trickier but has been done by some people on this forum.

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          Why would you need either for safety? Off road bikes have neither and people regularly ride them safely with no problems. IMO they are necessary to meet regulatory requirements and nothing more.

Originally posted by Tiny View Post
          I'm bobbing the bike... And where I live they're not required, just don't get caught speeding lol
          There is no speedo requirement in Washington state? Considering how prescriptive most highway/traffic codes are I find that very surprising.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
            Further proof that bobbers are a dumb idea.
            Further proof that some people are just rude jackasses that get off by insulting other people's ideas just because it's not what they like instead of being a helpful and constructive member of the forum.

Comment

Thank you mmattockx...

Comment

The problem with the bobber craze is that it takes functional, safe bikes and turns them into rolling safety hazards. Love to see you talk to the officer who pulls you over for doing 30 in a school zone: "Well, since I took my speedometer off, I really can't be blamed for guestimating, right?"
                "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

Never been a fan of the bobbers mainly because your chopping up a beautiful bike. But that's just my opinion. Even if you are not required to have a speedo and tach I would still keep them. You're never going to know if your about to redline and if you are trying to get your idle just right you have nothing to base it on besides listening to it. That's just my opinion, but you know what I always say, "You do you, do what you want not what others want you to do."

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                    The problem with the bobber craze is that it takes functional, safe bikes and turns them into rolling safety hazards. Love to see you talk to the officer who pulls you over for doing 30 in a school zone: "Well, since I took my speedometer off, I really can't be blamed for guestimating, right?"
                    Never had that problem... I'm not a speed kinda guy, I'm more low n slow.... I suppose someone who has issues following the laws, like speeding in a school zone, WOULD preach about how necessary a speedometer is...

Comment

Originally posted by jlyon40 View Post
                      Never been a fan of the bobbers mainly because your chopping up a beautiful bike. But that's just my opinion. Even if you are not required to have a speedo and tach I would still keep them. You're never going to know if your about to redline and if you are trying to get your idle just right you have nothing to base it on besides listening to it. That's just my opinion, but you know what I always say, "You do you, do what you want not what others want you to do."
                      Exactly bud... Although the amount of hassle it seems to create to plug the holes and such I'm considering getting some of the mini guages instead of removing them completely. I wonder if the stock cables would work with a set of after market mini guages.... Hhhmmm. Guess I gonna go do some more research...

Comment

If they make mini gauges that will take cable then I could see it working.

Comment

My inclination would be to pull the cables but ... I am not sure how you would plug up the hole the Tach comes out of. Of course if you have a friend that works in a machine shop or even just know someone that has a lathe fabricating a plug for that would be a breeze. It is after all just a push in affair iwth a rubber gasket held in place with a block of metal and a screw. Guess you could remove the cable from the plug and JB weld the hole but if it fails the JB patch goes right in the engine.

Having the cables still attached unless I could be so absolutely sure they couldn't come undone seems needlessly dangerous. I mean anything goes wrong and you have a 3 foot whip flipping around. Long shot .. yea maybe but ... Murphy!

I had a bike once upon a time and I hated the instrument cluster and went with the small chrome speedo that clamped on your handlebar and just did away with the tach. I mean who really watches the tach to know when to shift. Bah .. didnt need it.

I dont find a great need for the speedo in day to day driving because here in AZ if you are not keeping up with traffic you are a dead man but its nice to have when you get off the beaten path and are riding on open roads with little to no traffic just in case there are speed traps but like you I have learned to enjoy a lazy ride anyway and enjoy just listening to the engine.

Comment

Not that this one will fit your bike but if you search `tach plug' or something similar on ebay there are a fair number of items: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-CB-TAC...pWR5sP&vxp=mtr
                            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                            1977 GS550
                            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

There is a suzuki part to plug the tach cable hole. I'll do some searching for the part number. You have to take the valve cover off to get the gear out. As far as aftermarket mini gauges, they work. I'm running 2.5" Tach and Speedo from Dime City Cycles.

Comment

Working...
                              X