Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't run on all four and turns itself off after 10mins

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and not quite a GS owner. I'm really in need of GS help though as enthusiasm and good will have long depleted.

My father bought and owned a 1984 (I know this may not be the correct year but that's its registered date) UK GS550e - black with orange/red stripes in 1999. He become too old for it so I tapped up my father in law who loves his late seventies bikes. I explained how well looked after and how reliable it was. He bought it in 2010.

Since then he has ridden the bike once, it went 10miles and then stopped. It would not restart. He has not ridden it since (over a mile). We have lavished numerous hours and money at it.

The symptoms are, the bike starts - only with choke on - first click. Runs only on three cylinders. The 4th cylinder exhaust is 27degs C with an IR gun and can easily be held with your hand. If you run the bike for around ten minutes at about 2000rpm it runs on three quite reliably. Then, without warning stops - like someone has hit the kill switch! The engine will not re-start. Doesn't fire on any cylinders. If left for about two hours it then re-starts and runs exactly as before BUT the cylinder not working is not the same one as last time!

All four cylinders have taken their turn in being the dead cylinder. It is not isolated to any in particular and none are more commonly the dead cylinder than any other. When the engine dies, the neutral light is still bright. The battery has good charge. There is fuel in all of the float bowls. There are sparks from 3 spark plugs. The dead cylinder, naturally , has a wet plug - the others look fairly normal. The vac at idle is disappointing, but I strongly suspect that is because the idle stop is jacked to allow the engine to idle at 1000rpm with one dead cylinder

My memory is a little hazy over the 7years we've been at this so if at any point I contradict myself I apologise. The compression is 125PSI on all four cylinders, the valves clearances are all correct to book, engine is run with a new aux fuel tank.

What we've replaced: short engine, rebuilt cylinder head, two sets of carbs, intake rubbers, air filter, HT leads, spark plug caps, spark plugs, two sets of ignition coils, three batteries, crank position sensors (ign pick-ups), charging stator, regulator/rectifier.

When we first tested the bike cylinder 1 was 75PSI and didn't get better with oil down the plug. So first step was HG change and head rebuild. Did that and no improvement to the 75PSI. So we swapped the short engine over. The batteries kept going flat so we swapped the stator and fitted a new R/R.

I live 150 miles from the bike/in-laws. So I'm semi-reliant on his feedback and info. He is very hacked off now. And I feel very stupid as I recommended the bike to start with. The only things that I think are relevant and never been changed are: cylinder head, wiring loom and the igniter. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Glen.

PS. sorry for the long essay

I can't believe that you worked on and replaced all those items without getting suspicious of the ignitor long ago. Each cylinder taking its turn at not firing is crazy - likely a bunch of items that need attention, but to stop firing after a short run (but later restarting ok) suggests an erratic ignitor.
    If there is no mechanical timing advance on this bike - then it's built into ignitor box.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the response.
      Firstly, we had a low comp cylinder so wanted to fix that first. Then FiL spotted the carb rubbers were split. Then when we re-attempted to run the bike that batt kept going flat making debugging slow. So we fixed the charging cct. Then when it ran the the float bowl leaked, stripped the carbs and sorted. And the coils, plugs, leads, filters seemed like a good basic maintenance idea.

OK, cool, I'll look into an igniter then. I've never had one fail before, the fact it was still sparking had thrown me. Does the GS fraternity have a preferred supplier? ie for my Yamaha the forum always recommends a ignitech. Dynatek Dyna S d-s32? Or take my chances with a ropey second hand ebay item?

Cheers,
      Glen.

Comment

"Then, without warning stops - like someone has hit the kill switch!"

Have you checked for good spark when it does this? Maybe carry a spare spark plug and test .

Over here, 550 ignitors seem failure prone. I'd pass on ebay units. Do you have a mechanical timing advancer? The dyna setup needs that. Boyer Bransden does not apparently. I know nothing about the ignitek
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hello,

I've checked for spark as quickly as my fat fingers can unscrew a hot spark plug. And, yes, we have a spark on three of the cylinders.

At this point I am going to sound more stupider. Mechanical timing advancer? Would this be the plate that holds the crank pick up sensors which has a more advanced pickup position than the standard Suzuki one? We just have what Suzuki made us. I swapped the sensors over from another plate but the plate is the std one.
          With my Triumph I drill/slotted/filed the holes to advance the recommended the 4degs. Or have I missed the point?
          EDIT: Realised my stupidity. I can't remember whether it has the centrifugal mech advance. I'll double check.

1982 GS550E European market.

Cheers,
          Glen.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-30-2017, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Over here the 1982 gs550 had a mechanical timing advancer looking like this ...(springs /weights)

1981 gs650L

Comment

Dear Tom and others,
              my "81 gs650 gl also has a firing problem. Its cyl 2. Wet plug, there is an nice spark, but cyl. stays relatively cold. Compression is 130, so i guess that should be enough to at least firing up,
              Other cylinders are doing fine.

Intake boots en o rings are all new.
              I am running out of options...

grz Lars

Comment

Originally posted by willie-gs650gl View Post
                Dear Tom and others,
                my "81 gs650 gl also has a firing problem. Its cyl 2. Wet plug, there is an nice spark, but cyl. stays relatively cold. Compression is 130, so i guess that should be enough to at least firing up,
                Other cylinders are doing fine.

Intake boots en o rings are all new.
                I am running out of options...

grz Lars
                Finally an easy problem! #2 cylinder has the vacuum connection to petcock. Your petcock has likely failed leaking gas down this connection to 2 so it doesn't fire well (too much gas). Don't mess with petcock, just get new one and you'll be good to go
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                X