Avon Road Rider defect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avon Road Rider defect?

I've had a few sets of Avon Road Rider tires on my motorcycles with no problems at all. However the rear tire I have on my motorcycle now has developed splits in the bottom of the center groove. I don't think the tire was over inflated or under inflated. The tire has about 7,000 miles on it. I know it did get warm when riding in 90 plus degrees a couple of weeks ago. I have a new Road Rider on order. I'm not going to ride on this tire, however it did get me home (1000 miles). Anyone else have problems with the Avon Road Riders? Any theories about what may have caused the splitting?
    Attached Files
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

BonanzaDave had a good thread on this a while back.
    Supposedly, Avon had fixed this issue.....
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
      BonanzaDave had a good thread on this a while back.
      Supposedly, Avon had fixed this issue.....
      Yeah, I remember Daves thread. That seemed to be a sidewall cracking issue. My issue is with the tire splitting in the center tread groove. Hopefully it's just a one time thing. The tire is only two months old. I'll be keeping a eye on my new tire.
      My Motorcycles:
      79 1000e (all original)
      82 850g (all original)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
        Yeah, I remember Daves thread. That seemed to be a sidewall cracking issue. My issue is with the tire splitting in the center tread groove. Hopefully it's just a one time thing. The tire is only two months old. I'll be keeping a eye on my new tire.
        Norm, What is the date code on the tire? Two months but 7k miles, right. I never had this problem. I did have one split side wall and it was taken care of licitly split
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I'll check the date code when I get home from work. The tire smelled fresh when I received it...
          My Motorcycles:
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)

Comment

pretty dramatic failure. 7000 miles on an avon? I have never gotten more than 5000 on mine before I am down to the treadwear indicators. Have you contacted Avon? I need to order tires this month, let us know if you come up with any answers....
            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              I've had a few sets of Avon Road Rider tires on my motorcycles with no problems at all. However the rear tire I have on my motorcycle now has developed splits in the bottom of the center groove. I don't think the tire was over inflated or under inflated. The tire has about 7,000 miles on it. I know it did get warm when riding in 90 plus degrees a couple of weeks ago. I have a new Road Rider on order. I'm not going to ride on this tire, however it did get me home (1000 miles). Anyone else have problems with the Avon Road Riders? Any theories about what may have caused the splitting?
              Yes I have had a Avon RoadRider rear tyre cracking on the side walls was about 3-4 years old with no more than 3k miles.
              have replaced it a couple of months ago Roadrider again just hope they have fixed the problem.
              Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 06-29-2017, 04:26 PM.
              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
              past bikes. RF900
              TL1000s
              Hayabusa
              gsx 750f x2
              197cc Francis Barnett
              various British nails

Comment

I checked the date code on my old tire. 0616, so the 6th week of 2016. What is interesting, it's the same date code of my new tire. So we'll see. While I was looking at the tire I noticed "Max Load 661 lbs" Perhaps I over loaded the tire while I was on my trip. I did have quite a bit of luggage, especially on the rear rack. Maybe I should have been more diligent in checking my tire pressure. Like I said I'll keep a eye on the new tire for any signs of splitting. Here is another picture of the split, it's right down to the cord.
                Attached Files
                My Motorcycles:
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)

Comment

That's interesting because that is the same date code as the rear tire on my 1100g. I installed it on my bike last July just before I went on my trip to Ontario, Canada. I did 6300 miles on that trip and now have 9520 miles on the tire. It will need replacing before I go on any trip longer than 1000 miles. Prior to this tire, I usually get about 6800 miles off a rear before I change it ( 130/90-17). I've speculated that this increased mileage is due to fewer 0-to 70mph starts and less radical turning because of my loaded bike while on the trip. I'm finding that I'm not that speedy of a rider anymore, or maybe I never was......? My trip was in August and I didn't encounter much above 85 F and certainly not 100 plus F. The rear of my bike was loaded with about 60-80 pounds. I don't see that as extreme. Keep in mind : if a rear tire's load rating is 600 lbs. and the front is 500 lbs., that still gives you 535 pounds for yourself and your baggage, assuming your bike is about 565 pounds.
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                  X