Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 GS1100G 37 mm fork oil weight and volume.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100G 37 mm fork oil weight and volume.

Tried the search tool but two wordings and three pages deep on each search did not turn up info. Drained with top air caps off over night. Before doing that they held air at 12lb for 24 hours , so i am comfortable that the seals are good. Need to know the weight and volume of fork oil to add. Ordered a manual but it will not be here till after the weekend.
    Attached Files

Stock fork springs or aftermarket? I would say 10W for stock springs, can't say on the height/volume if you are using air assist. What does your service manual say for stock volume?

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Stock springs or what was in the new to me 35 year old bike. 37k miles . May up grade to proggressives and dive in deeper, if fresh oil dosn't slow things down. No manual came with bike, as said got a clymer on order. Need volume in fluid ounces or ml. . Got a most of a qt of spectra 15w left from doing a friends goldwings forks.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2017, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosquito13 View Post
        Stock springs or what was in the new to me 35 year old bike. 37k miles . May up grade to proggressives and dive in deeper, if fresh oil dosn't slow things down. No manual came with bike, as said got a clymer on order. Need volume in fluid ounces or ml. . Got a most of a qt of spectra 15w left from doing a friends goldwings forks.
        If you are looking at Progressive Suspension springs then do it right and get Sonic or Race Tech straight rate springs in the correct rate (I recommend the Sonic springs myself). The 15W will be OK if you want to confirm that your fork springs are shot (I assure they are). Download a service manual here: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

According to my OEM manual:

Volume in each fork leg - 255 ml (8.62 US oz)
          15 weight oil
          air pressure - 0.6 kg/cm2 (8.5 psi)

You can replace the stock spacer with a longer piece of PVC pipe to stiffen up the front, but the stock front suspension is pretty soft anyway...

I don't use air because it will push the oil past the fork seal if it's too much pressure (which is easy to do).

I agree with mmattockx to replace the stock springs with straight rate Sonic ones. Get the correct rate for your weight & riding style and you will notice a big difference. I have used the progressives as well & didn't think they made that much of a difference on these big heavy bikes...

Last edited by hikermikem; 06-30-2017, 08:19 AM.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Great info and thanks for the links. Long 4th weekend and now I can do all the fluids and some other maintenance( thanks again for link to manuals). The Sonic's spring rate calculator helped a lot, would not have had a clue and would have had to call. Going to try the fresh oil and cutting a couple lengths of pvc over stock spacer in 1/2" increments. See what the weekend shows. For $85 it is a ez jump to fix a scary front suspension. Think I will try a set of their springs in one of the rd's. I thrash those little two strokes and have been running progressives in them for years.

Comment

I'm a speedy galoot, and I use Sonic springs (1.1 rate to match my, er, mass) with 10W fork oil.

I found that once I had proper springs in there, I didn't need the 15W fork oil to keep things controlled. 10W gives much better feel and handling, not to mention a less harsh ride.

Also, the AMOUNT of fork oil is mostly irrelevant. You need to set the fork oil LEVEL correctly, and set it the same on both sides. 140mm from the top (with springs out and fork leg collapsed all the way and held vertically) is the GS standard. Overfill a bit, pump a while to get all the air bubbles out, then use a large syringe with a measured piece of tubing to slurp out oil to the correct level.

The Sonic springs really make a huge difference over the limp "one size fits all" Progressives. Even just putt-putting around, you notice a lot less brake dive and much improved handling.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

(with springs out and fork leg collapsed all the way and held vertically) is the GS standard.
                held vertically? you've got to be kidding....
                GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Originally posted by derwood View Post
                  Since the proper way to do this involves removing the fork tube from the bike, it's really rather easy to hold it vertically.

I will second bwringer's recommendation on Sonic springs and 10w oil. Since the 850 is a few pounds heavier than your 1100, and I have added a bunch more weight to the front (frame-mounted fairing), I also went with the 1.1 rate springs. Brian (bwringer) needs the stiffer springs due to riding style, I need them for the additional weight on the bike. The 10w oil is great.

I also agree that it is the LEVEL that is more important than the amount. Some will say that the level needs to be within 1mm or so from side to side, I'm not so sure it needs to be quite that precise, but certainly as close as you can get them.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    ... Some will say that the level needs to be within 1mm or so from side to side, I'm not so sure it needs to be quite that precise, but certainly as close as you can get them..
                    You're right, anything within 3-4mm is fine.
                    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Since the proper way to do this involves removing the fork tube from the bike, it's really rather easy to hold it vertically.

I will second bwringer's recommendation on Sonic springs and 10w oil. Since the 850 is a few pounds heavier than your 1100, and I have added a bunch more weight to the front (frame-mounted fairing), I also went with the 1.1 rate springs. Brian (bwringer) needs the stiffer springs due to riding style, I need them for the additional weight on the bike. The 10w oil is great.

I also agree that it is the LEVEL that is more important than the amount. Some will say that the level needs to be within 1mm or so from side to side, I'm not so sure it needs to be quite that precise, but certainly as close as you can get them.

there is no way you have to pull the fork tubes off the bike to check and / or adjust the oil level. or even change it for that matter...

proper way or not that would be ridiculous.

?? I thought I was on your ignore list??
                      Last edited by derwood; 06-30-2017, 09:50 PM.
                      GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

If you don't want to remove the forks, then just be careful about where you slurp the oil from. On my fork oil level tool, the tubing is zip-tied to a stiff wire so I can be somewhat precise about where I draw the oil from. Slurp from the middle and it's the same as if you're holding the fork leg vertical. Subtract a few mm and slurp from the back.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

there is no way you have to pull the fork tubes off the bike to check and / or adjust the oil level. or even change it for that matter...

Unless you are going to change the seals which means you have to change the fluid at the same time
                          sigpic
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It's not ridiculous, it's the best and most accurate way to do the job. It's also very easy. You can have the tubes off the bike in 10 minutes.
                            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
                              It's not ridiculous, it's the best and most accurate way to do the job. It's also very easy. You can have the tubes off the bike in 10 minutes.
                              so if I want to see how 20mm higher fork oil level is going to behave you are suggesting I take off the front wheel pull the forks out and ad oil, reassemble. Or if I want less rebound damping say so I go to 10w instead of 15w same drill?
                              how about when I pull the emulator to ad a turn, or back off 1/2 a turn? gotta take out the spring, going to lose a little oil.
                              it ads more than 10 minutes, I still don't see the point, I could do the trigonometry instead.

I can see the argument if I was changing seals anyways, ( i would check again after installation for a base line. then again after a good ride because sometimes the oil level drops after complete overhaul) but for playing around ...... for me, no way.
                              still think its a little ridiculous but then I don't have Sonic Springs...
                              GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
                              X