Jacket Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jacket Lock

"Tips and Tricks" seems like the right place to post this weirdness.

I've occasionally lamented that I couldn't leave my jacket at the bike. Also I would sometimes like to have a seat cover when I park out in the sun.

So I made me a jacket lock.

Remember when you were a little kid and you had those mittens that were connected by a string and strung up in your jacket so you couldn't lose them? That's what I did. I strung a 1/16" coated cable from wrist to neck to wrist, and ferruled a loop at each end. This cable just hangs out in my jacket, and you really don't notice it at all after the first time.

I have another length of the 1/16 coated cable, about 16 inches long, with loops at the end.

I draped the jacket over the seat, and ran the short cable through loop at the right wrist, through the wheel, through the left wrist, through the helmet D-rings, and to the helmet lock.

Now I have a seat cover, and I can leave my jacket locked to the bike!
    I get that it just takes a decent set of wire clippers to unlock this, but 1, I had to give it a decent amount of effort with my wire cutters to trim the cable when it was convenient... with jacket and helmet on it, it's not convenient, and 2, it's still a decent deterrent

The bike with the jacket and helmet locked down

Right side. Green cable comes from the right sleeve, passes through the wheel to the left side.

Left side. Green cable comes from the right sleeve, through the wheel. Then through the cable from the left wrist, then to the helmet's D-rings, then to the helmet lock.
    Last edited by kerrfunk; 08-31-2017, 01:16 PM.
    "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

I like it. Did you stitch it into the jacket at all?

Cheers, Alan
    '82 GS650G 27k
    '00 GZ250 5k "Pocket Hawg"
    ('98 GS500E 18k, new project - moved on to new home)
    '98 GSF1200 39k, new project, fixed the blown out spark plug, waiting on time
    '05 Moto Guzzi Nevada 750IE (the Pocket Hawg's days are numbered)

Comment

Originally posted by SusKatCas View Post
      I like it. Did you stitch it into the jacket at all?

Cheers, Alan
      Thanks, Alan. I think it worked out pretty good. Easy mod, no damage to anything, easy to undo. No, I didn't stitch it in. I might put a single stitch at each wrist just to keep it from moving around much. I did make the cable loop around the hanging loop at the back of the neck, so it can't really even get off center.
      "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

I'm glad it works for you. Keeps the sun off the seat and makes the bike more visible.
        Just be careful of hot exhausts.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Kryptonite U-lock thru the sleeve and front or back wheel mag spoke works too.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Like it, thanks for sharing!!
            blog

Comment

Working...
            X