1978 GS 750 fork oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS 750 fork oil

Looking to change my front fork oil. What kind of oil do I use and how much do I put in. Thanks.

I use fork specific 15W oil. The volume is specific to each bike; you need a manual.

Comment

My 78 GS550 says 50/50 mix of 10-30 motor oil and auto-transmission fluid. That's probably your ratio too. However, I don't know the correct volume for your bike. Volume is 165 cc's (ml) for each tube on mine. Yours will be larger, say 180 ml, but you really need a manual to know for sure. Also, I would say if you're over 200 lbs use 15-30 motor oil in the mix (not the 10-30). It will tighten up the front suspension and also seems to me that it would save the springs some wear too.

Chad

Columbus, OH 1978 GS550E

Comment

Re: 1978 GS 750 fork oil

A 78 750 takes 6 ounces of oil in each fork tube. I use 20 weight non detergent oil in my 750, but then I like a fairly stiff suspension. You could use 10 weight oil if you prefer a soft setup, or 15 weight for something inbetween. You can also mix 20 weight oil 50/50 with automatic transmission fluid to to get about a 15 weight viscosity. (you can mix ATF in any proportion with oil to tailor the viscosity to whatever you want) Try plain 20 weight first, Then if you dont like it, it isnt a big deal to change to something else.

Earl

Originally posted by seadrive1
        Looking to change my front fork oil. What kind of oil do I use and how much do I put in. Thanks.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Also get yourself a good service manual. I like to try to get the factory,Clymer and Haynes all for the same bike because there is diff info in each and they compliment each other. There are a lot of tips in there for doing jobs like this and they also give you all the info you need as far as the right things to be using in your bike.

Comment

Working...
          X