No announcement yet.

BUILDING AN I.C.B.M. KATANA 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a word of advice, be carefull where the swingarm meets the motor. When I put the gsxr swingarm in the larger tube that houses the swingarm bolt actually touched the rear motor case under shock compression. I wound up milling three angle cuts to the round tube to aquire the clearance. Smashing a set of cases going over a large bump is not an option!

8) Dr. Dre 8)

Comment

I am not sure what you are talking about??

what bike was it you did this? I am using a stock swingarm and the pivit bolt housing is round so should not affect anything through it's motion.

I may be wrong but I think you are talking about upgrading the swingarm to a new large bolt style?? but I am confused because you are commenting on something I haven't done.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

changed my mind...went with 3/4inch bracing instead of 1inch

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman
          I am not sure what you are talking about??
          GSR's use a hollow pivot shaft just like the axles on them. I have a '93 banana swingarm I'm going to install one of these days. I'll use my stock pivot bolt with stock bushing shortened to fit the '93 swingarm.

Your bracing looks good. Are you bracing anywhere else besides there and where the subframe join near the swingarm pivot?

Comment

No Billy,

just beefin it up a little...wont be hardcore racing but want a little more.

I was thinking of upgrading the swing. Was going to drill out the pivit point holes and enlarge them to accept the new larger hollow shafts but found I have to get rid of the pegset struts. Then realized I wouldn't have anywhere to hang my header and would have to buy a new swept style and get some rear sets..so ....maybe a later date.
            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman
              changed my mind...went with 3/4inch bracing instead of 1inch

So your not going to use the stock airbox any more?

Comment

Wow, looks great. I am looking forward to lurking on this one .

Comment

I am going to use the airbox...just for cometic reasons.. I won't have to trim the filter box. I will still get to use it to fill in behind the covers.
                  KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

As far as the bracing goes I took a page from this setup. Got it from oldsckoolsuzuki.com. I brought down the subframe crossmembers (like the yosh 1135) as to not interfere with the rear brake plunger on the ride and the eletrics panel on the left side.
                    Last edited by katman; 02-06-2007, 05:46 AM.
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Ah the Oldskool frame picture.

I advise you to do a dry build with the engine in the frame, carbs and filters connected to see if there is enough room for the filters, in a later discussion there was mentioning of that spot being very tight.

Comment

looks good, but on that frame diagram with the colors, check out the bracing letter F, i dont think a header will work with that bracing there...just a thought, id hate to see you do it all up and you know..well tlak to you later, Richie

Comment

aparently the header fits very tight according to a report a little massaging may be in order.

I on the other hand am only doing the limited bracing I have shown

Robinjo....I am doing a dry build because you can't adust welded pieces very easily....but it looks like I have enough room for K&N's. I am going with RS Flatslides that are thinner than stock I believe which will help my cause.

by the way there are a cheap set of 40mm flatslides on ebay:
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

ok, thats cool, i was just concerned, later, Richie

Comment

thanks for the heads up Ritchie though...wouldn't be the first time I wasn't thinking it all through...lol
                              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

katman,

With my 34mm flats it measures very close to 7cm from the back of the K&N to the very front of the carb. I don't think the 40s are much longer if any.

Comment

Working...
                                X