Dyna S Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S Upgrade

If you go to this link, you see the installation manual for the dyna s models ds3-1 and ds3-2. Which one do I need?

How do I determine whether my bike is kokusan denki or Nippon denso, and can someone verify for me that this will work for my electronically ignited bike, as to explain why the first label is 1) remove the points cover when i dont have points.

Re: Dyna S Upgrade

The only difference between the Dyna "S" DS3-1 and the DS3-2 kit is the rotor. DS3-1 is Kokusan. DS3-2 is Nippondenso. the Dyna S ignition replaces all of your stock ignition components except the coils. You use your original coils. You remove all the factory ignition modules and parts etc.
    I have never seen a factory electronic ignition that required anything but the DS3-2 Nippondenso kit. (I cant say absolutely that there are none that do, but I have never seen one)

If you have a points ignition system, the breaker points are under the points cover on the right end of the crankshaft. If you have an electronic ignition, the electronic pickups/sensors are under the points cover on the right end of the crankshaft.

Early factory electronic ignition systems retained the mechanical counterweight timing advance (located on the right crankshaftend under the breaker plate) Later models (usually 1981 and on) did not use a mechanical advance. The Dyna "S" requires a mechanical advance unit.
    If you do not already have one beneath your pickup/breaker plate, you will have to install one to be able to use the Dyna "S".

Earl

Originally posted by natenewz
    If you go to this link, you see the installation manual for the dyna s models ds3-1 and ds3-2. Which one do I need?

How do I determine whether my bike is kokusan denki or Nippon denso, and can someone verify for me that this will work for my electronically ignited bike, as to explain why the first label is 1) remove the points cover when i dont have points.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I have a Koko ign on my GS550, however, I won a Dyna-S for a Denso off Ebay. All I had to do was place a washer between the rotor and bolt, works like a charm. Be careful w/ the washer thickness however otherwise the rotor can get torqued down too much and not advance correctly!!!

Comment

Timing

I have spring loaded counterweights, so I thats mechanical advance, correct? I saw kokusan on one elctrical component so i guess i have kokusan. On a more theoretical note, Does the dyna s boost the voltaqe enough alone to go straight to the coils, therefore eliminating the need for an igniter?

Comment

Yes, it replaces the entire ignition, no more igniter!!! The Dyna-S is all inclusive!!!

Comment

Re: Timing

Installing the Dyna "S" means you first remove the ignitor and throw it in the trash. :-) The spring loaded counterweights are the mechanical advance. Those must remain since the Dyna needs them for advance. The Dyna doest "boost" anything, it triggers the coils.

Earl

I have spring loaded counterweights, so I thats mechanical advance, correct? I saw kokusan on one elctrical component so i guess i have kokusan. On a more theoretical note, Does the dyna s boost the voltaqe enough alone to go straight to the coils, therefore eliminating the need for an igniter?

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks

Hey thanks for all the help guys, sorry if im a little slow to understand this stuff. I dont have much experience with it, and im sick of spending money on stuff i dont need. thanks for all the help

Comment

Re: Thanks

NO problem. :-) Its why we have a tech section. The Dyna comes with installation instructions but if you do find somthing puzzling, dont hesitate to ask. Its why we hang around here. LOL

Earl

Hey thanks for all the help guys, sorry if im a little slow to understand this stuff. I dont have much experience with it, and im sick of spending money on stuff i dont need. thanks for all the help

Comment

A mechanical advance has two arms that swing out with centrifical force. To use a Dyna S, you must have this type advance as the igniter type advance won't work... On an igniter type igntion, there are two pickup coils sitting under your points cover that sense crank position and send this info to the igniter. On a points style igntion, the mechanical advance provides igntion advance and the points are actuated mechanically as the crank turn. To install the Dyna S, there is a pickup that goes on the end of the crank. There are two pickup coils that sit in the same position as points would. These sense the crank position and send this info DIRECT to the coils (not the igniter box). There should be two wires coming from each pickup coil. One is for the signal and the other is a power wire. The signal wire MUST go to the correct coil. Once you have the Dyna S wired, essentially, you need a strobe timing light to set the timing. I think the left hand pickup coil is for the 1/4 cylinders and you put the timing light pickup on the #4 plug wire. Start the engine and rotate the whole plate till the timing light shows you are hitting the appropriate mark on your plate at idle. Tighten the plate and rev your engine a tad and ensure that your mechanical advance is working properly using the light. You will see advance occur. The 2/3 cylinder must now be set. Put your timing light pickup on #3 plug wire and using the SMALL allen wrench they give you, adjust the position of the RIGHT pickup using its mounting allen head mount screws to set the timing at idle to the appropriate position using the timing light. Make sure the advance is working again. Put your points cover on and forget your igntion. Make sure the points cover is sealed good where the wires come out or moisture will get in and rust your advance mechanism (silicon works for this).

Comment

I have a '79 GS850GN, and would like to install this electronic ignition system. Where are they available from?

Cheers!

Comment

Found it........

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X