No announcement yet.

Building a KiwiKat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks this bike was SUCH a find! Also it was quite random giving I called about a parts 1992 GSXR750 looking to use it to do up my Katana. I've wanted to have modernized one of these for years. I'd never cut up an original (for shame) but I'll gladly have one already done or (as I planned) do it to a 7/11 someone else already partly converted.

Comment

Katana 2016.jpg
      Quick image of the Kat as it stands (primer only have not decided on final colours). The shock mount has changed, the can is what it came with (a little loud for long commuting but looks good). Certification will start soon but the chain still is CLOSE to the frame and contacts the wheel (notches the wheel slightly). It rides very nicely and the power is great.

Comment

Great looking Kat!
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          Great looking Kat!
          Thanks, great quote in your tagline.

Comment

Originally posted by IronPawz View Post
            Thanks, great quote in your tagline.
            Cheers-and have a great time on your new mount.
            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
            1982 CB900f

Comment

FWIW not sure what you have for a sprocket carrier but a GS will give you a few mm clearance over a GSX for chain clearance.
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Bike has passed through low volume certification. MOT has ok'd the existing black plate. Low volume certification is done just waiting the plate from that. Then it is back to VTNZ and the old Kat should be back on the road doing high KM's in the Kapiti to Wellington commute (as I do on a fireblade at present). So if you are down under you may be seeing this old girl come past soon. Next to figure out a pain scheme and get that done over the winter. Good times, almost riding the bike of my dreams!

Comment

Bike is now road legal and riding well. Needs some road setup still. Time to get into painting it and refining. Will post image updates.

Comment

As I was reading through your thread and saw the new tail, I was blown away by how the upswept lines so matched the lines on the tank. A natural. The whole time, though, I was thinking how it would look better yet if the tail actually met the side cover..turn the page, low and behold..it's been done. That really finishes it out. I like your silver and orange paint scheme, too..it just looks right on a Kat.
                    1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Kat is now getting a 520 chain conversion as the chain is notching the tire and so close to the frame. Should be complete this week coming. New set of S21 tires to replace the rubber that has sat on it for many years. Now it will be ride it, adjust suspension and just see how well it operates on my 150 km daily round trip commute. Colours are in mostly primer (black) and unpainted welds.
                      I brought another GSX1100EFE (or GSX1135 or GSX1150) engine for it (given one came up and I never see them in New Zealand). Something to do up on the side.

We will see if I can live with the smoothies given they have to be manually shut off most of the time. Almost time to start thinking about colour scheme. I know some love the orange but it is to KTM (I've a fireblade in all black so even then I don't do Repsol Orange). It is going to have to go somewhere more traditional. I'll just give it at least a few 1000 kms and play with the suspension for now. Will take it for a few runs on the track next year all going well.

Decided to leave the seat as is and just see how we go. I'll probably never like it as I do the cut down original but it is more comfortable on a long commute and it will probably grow on me.

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post
                        As I was reading through your thread and saw the new tail, I was blown away by how the upswept lines so matched the lines on the tank. A natural. The whole time, though, I was thinking how it would look better yet if the tail actually met the side cover..turn the page, low and behold..it's been done. That really finishes it out. I like your silver and orange paint scheme, too..it just looks right on a Kat.
                        I'm learning to like the seat more (I brought it from the builder). I never liked that the original just left all the fuses exposed. Like anyone can just walk up and disable the bike in a few seconds and the weather can just get in there fully all the time (anything I ride a lot sits outside in the rain at times parked in the city).

Comment

525 chain conversion is done. Put a few 100kms in all is good (2 hour ride was hard on body adjusting from fireblade positon mostly in legs). Throttle is hard work in twisties as it is stiff to pull on and needs to be manually shut off (I ride two hours a day for work). Thinking of changing the carbs. It is GREAT fun mind and I rode it out of Wellington in heavy traffic laughing like a lunatic chasing nimble 600cc rockets. It is quite stiff (track settings) so need to try some things out. I'm keen for some track testing (possibly next weekend at Manfield). Over all I love it and the body will adjust like it has before (the rule is just keep riding). People say "I have to be upright" but what that often means is "I don't ride often enought and don't fancy a month of saw back and legs to adjust." Will post updated pics soon. Colours still undecided but I don't like being too recognisable so might be a bit dull till I finish regular commuting.

Comment

Working...
                          X