No announcement yet.

Building a KiwiKat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have put the bike together with a Kat 750 engine temporarily while I build the 1260. I wanted to check that the suspension is working okay and that the chain is not going the rub anywhere. I had to do a quick jet job on the 750 carbs because there is no longer an airbox. I soldered up the airbleeds and drilled them out to about #90 and drilled the mains to #170 (1.7mm) and tried it up the road. The carburetion was not to happy but I got up to about 160kph alright. The suspension and brakes are really first class. It feels really strange being on a Kat but with softer springing and sharp brakes. The chain is not rubbing anywhere and the suspension seems to be doing everthing okay. The gearing sure is low geared though with the 750 lower internal ratios.

Comment

Sorry Guys, the seat just had to go. I hunted around and tried all sorts of rear fairings and seats. I saw someone on the net had fitted a CBR600 F4i unit onto His Kat. I went and borrowed one and tried it for size before purchasing and it really does look the business! I have had to bend the Kats rear tubes and shorten the CBR tailpiece by about 4". I have cut down an old Kat seat and have spent a few hours contouring it to front portion of the CBR tailpiece. Once the seat work fabrication work is all completed I will pull the bike down again for painting. I am still pondering about the engine though. I like the look and reliability of the GSX1100 but it is going to cost me over $2000.00 just to build a crank!! I can almost get an good oil cooled GSXR1100 motor complete for that. ?????

Comment

What city are you in?

Comment

Just get a GSX-R motor.
          Reliable power and you dont have to buy all the things like ignition pickups, coils, Cams, worry about which pipe to get (cause there arent that many being made anymore) and some fit the GX but not the Kat.

I could go on forever but I to was shocked to see just how cheap you can pick up a GSXR motor for considering how many racing classes are using them these days, like those baby formula one style cars :x .

But maybe they are out of favour with the speedway guys now??

Comment

Now this is cool! Way to build it buddy

Comment

Hi Silver Machine, Yes I agree about the GSXR engine. I am in Auckland. What build number is your wire? Mine is 11 or 12 from memory. It is standard except for the Harris, an oil cooler, lowered front blinkers and shortened rear guard. I got knocked back for a wof a few months back and had to take the factory braided lines off.

Comment

Originally posted by katanakid
                Hi Silver Machine, Yes I agree about the GSXR engine. I am in Auckland. What build number is your wire? Mine is 11 or 12 from memory.

[img][/img]
                1. How do you find that out, No one has ever told me. :?
                2. Some local "Katana Expert's" people (You know, The ones that have never owned one........) think mines a fake, mainly because I got the seat recovered in new blue and grey vinyl as it looked like crap with that filthy/grotty old suede on it .
                Anyway, it must be a damned good fake cause its certainly got all the right bits 8)

Comment

Hi Silver Machine. Email: SteveCaudwell@suzuki.co.nz
                  He is at Suzuki at Wanganui. Send him eng & frame #'s and he will confirm for you. Where are you based?

Comment

Thanks for that.
                    Im in Chch.

Dont forget to check out.....

Page two of kat central has a "show of hands" thread which may help you contact others for future NZ kat events.

Comment

lookin good mate,
                      I have my kat here in Palmerston north and am always up for a natter or a few beers!

Comment

Hi Silver Machine, Yes I agree about the GSXR engine. I am in Auckland. What build number is your wire? Mine is 11 or 12 from memory. It is standard except for the Harris, an oil cooler, lowered front blinkers and shortened rear guard. I got knocked back for a wof a few months back and had to take the braided lines off.
                        Ive got the original microfiche of the wire wheelers so I dont have any warrant problems.
                        Just come across all knowledgeable and they will back down in my experience
                        Come across cocky and confrontational and they will "GOVERNMENT DEPT" you so fast youre feet wont touch the ground

1. Hey, Next time you take your carbs off can you tell me what size they are??
                        Some say 33's some say 36's
                        2. Is your Headlight fairing Fibreglass or plastic?

Comment

I ask you, Has there ever been a better looking motorcycle built

Comment

Thanks for the comments Guys. Silver Machine, just verniered the carbs, they are 36MM ID and the fairing is plastic.

Comment

im impressed by this build up. I like the bike ,but don't butcher the styling with that tail. I have a GSXR Kat that i have built before it was easier for me to build it with an oil cooled motor.

I liked the front end fab,and the rear end swap.

Good luck with your build up

Comment

Thanks for the comments Guys. Silver Machine, just verniered the carbs, they are 36MM ID and the fairing is plastic.
                                Thanks for that.

Mine are 36's too, But all the info on the net says they should be 32's. :?
                                Guess I better take a look at that microfiche again some day.

Both my front fairings are fibreglass
                                I have yet to come across a plastic one

Comment

Working...
                                X