No announcement yet.

Building a KiwiKat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats a nice looking bike (the wire wheel as well!)
    Good to see there is quite a few Katana supporters from NZ here.
    Im kind of a Kat owner, my old man owns a mint condition 82 750 that he's selling me, cant wait to get it.
    The first mod would definitely be an 1100 motor slotted in

Comment

Totally awesome. I am enjoying this thread very much. I was wondering what if any reading/research you did for the design of your lower shock linkage. I'm trying to find some books that explain motorcycle frame/suspension design and the math that goes into it. Your bike looks totally sweet, keep up the good work.

Comment

Thanks for your comments GSX, the 1100 will slot straight into your 750 frame. Only thing you will have to change is the 2 lower engine mounts. The threaded tubes are welded in a slightly different position between the 750 and 1100 Kat frames, so you can easily make up some "L" shaped mounts. Make sure you use steel, (about 6mm will be fine) alloy is likely to fracture with the vibration involved. I believe that the front fork valving is slightly different between the 7 & 11 but I cannot confirm. I think apart from the seat and the tailpiece colours and the slightly different redlines on the tacho, that is about the only differences?

Comment

Hey Sidd, welcome to the forum. I studied all the info that I could find on the various websites and picked out what I thought to be the best ideas. I am a mechanic by trade and have done a fair bit of fabrication work, so that helped. For the rear setup I took the springs off the standard twin shock springs and measured where the swingarm was at maximum stroke both up and down in relation to a fixed point on the frame rails directly above the rear axle, and most importantly where the swingarm sat at normal loaded (unladen) ride height. I was lucky to have a standard Kat alongside me while I was doing this work. When I mounted the new swingarm and shock assembly, I made sure that the new shock (spring off) was in the absolute centre of it's stroke and then positioned the swingarm so that it was at the static ride height as a standard Kat and then made the top shock mount in this exact position. By going through this procedure I have maintained the original swingarm geometry of a standard Kat, and more importantly kept the swingarm relatively in the centre of the up and down travel of the chain through it's suspension stroke. Having said all of this though, I still had to raise the rear shock a little to compensate for the now smaller rear wheel diameter to raise the rear of the Kat to standard ride height. It had to be a bit of a compromise really but it certainly seems to be working well with this set up so far.

Comment

I finally found a CBR 600 F4i rear seat and tail lamp on Ebay. I have made up rear mounts for the seat and tailpiece and welded/brazed them to the rear frame rails of the Kat. I still need to add an extra downtube bracing to the front mount. The tailpiece is now mounted securely to the frame and I have made up a rear hoop assembly to mount the tail light and rear indicators. The hoop is made from the rear guard mount off a GSXR1100 WP/R? unit. It took a few hours making up the blinker mounts and rear seat latch etc and I ended up only using the rear 6" or so of the GSXR1100 hoop tubing. I basically needed the rear number plate/tail lamp mounting part. I still need to fabricate a light alloy undertray to hide all of the innards under the seat/s. The shortened front Kat seat is temporarily made up so as to get an idea of it's perspective before getting it reshaped and recovered.

Comment

Looks great! Good on you for having a go, as well the guts to go crazy with the hacksaw and weld things up the way you want them.

Mike.

Comment

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your comments.
                The rear seat, blinker and tail light fabrication mounting is now complete. I used GSXR blinkers as I had them handy in the shed, but may upgrade later if I find more suitable units. Next step is to have an intermediate pipe fabricated to mount the new upswept rear silencer.

Small note: if using the CBR600 F4i tail lamp, it does not have a clear segment for the number plate light, so a clear segment has to be fitted to the bottom of the lens (if not using a separate no-plate lamp). You will also need a red reflector to the rear.

I am very pleased with the rear aspect so far. I would like to have had an underseat exhaust system, but there was not quite enough clearance with this combination. What do you think Digger?

Comment

The bikes coming along great!!
                  That seat unit is looking really good
                  Are you going to go with the original Kat paint scheme or try something else?
                  Can't wait to see it once its all done

Comment

Hey Kat-kid,

Thats one of THE nicest rear conversions Ive seen on a Kat. It looks like its meant to be on there! Well done mate - cant wait to see it finished.

Comment

Hi JatKat & GSX, thanks for the positive comments. Yes I am going to paint the frame and bodywork in standard Katana 13L. I may run a bright orange stripe over the top lika a Ford GT40 colour scheme, but I will have a temporary run with an airbrush before getting it done properly. Today I went to the local muffler shop and had an intermediate pipe bent up. The 4 into 1 is 65mm (2&1/2") outlet so I followed through with that and welded a 4 bolt flange on the muffler end. Next step is matching up a hugger and get an undertray folded up, tidy up the front ends of the tailpiece where I have trimmed it, get a new front seat cover made. Then paint time.......
                      I am still running the 750 motor for now and saving my pennies for either a crank for the 1260 or a 1127 R motor.

Comment

Had a brainwave that I could temporarily up the HP on the project Kat. I have taken the engine out of another 1100 Kat that I have and installed it into the project bike. I have also fitted a set of 33mm smoothbores that I purchased a few years ago. I have made up a new front drive sprocket using 2 old sprokets that I machined the teeth off and welded to a new 532 x 18 tooth sprocket. (The offset for this bike is 15mm). Once it was welded I machined out the centre of the 18 tooth sprocket so that the mainshaft nut would fit and have plenty of thread to bite on. I used a rear axle nut of a gsxr1100 because it is the same thread and has a flange on one end of it. This flange will help stop the sprocket dancing around on the mainshaft. I have recessed the inside face of the flanged nut to allow for the small amount of spline poking into the inside of the nut. I am running 18 teeth at the front and a 47 tooth on the rear. This gives me a gear ratio of 2.611 which is exactly the same ratio as a standard Kat with 2.8:1 but with the smaller circumferance 180-55 x 17" tyre. The bike certainly has a lot more power and pulled up to 220 okay, but became a bit skittish in the front due to the forks being hard up on the stops under power. I will now concentrate on mounting in a steering damper to stabilise the front end a bit and possibly will need to soften the front springs. It is really surprising how much power this engine is developing compared to what it was doing in the standard Kat frame. I will need to weigh the machine and report back, but I am guessing this project bike is quite a bit lighter with the JMC rear arm, mono shock and the lighter wheels and forks etc.
                        The front blinkers are temporary, as is the rear exhaust mount on the muffler.

Here is a shot with the (LOAN) 1100 engine in place.

Comment

Mate that's looking good. Your re-routed exhaust looks just the ticket with the rear-end bodywork; you needed a 'high' muffler.

Any ideas what you'll use for indicators? Anything that minimises drag is good... ;-)

Mike.

Comment

great lookin ride. Sounds like it rolls as nice as it looks. I see a few key parts. yosh cover....nice and hard to find.

can you email me the wiring for the clocks? I have a set and may like to install with my kat harness??

great job M8.
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Katman & KatanaKid,

Hope it's OK with you (and I can't imagine why it wouldn't be) but I have just added links to both your project threads here on the GS Resources, on the links page of my Kat website. I think the work by you guys is top-notch.

Mike.

Comment

No problem with me, thanks Mike.

Comment

Working...
                                X