No announcement yet.

Motorcycling safety tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

always leave your bike in gear when the side stand is down, it will keep it from rolling offf or having the sidestand fold up on you

Comment

brake early before the corner and accelerate out of it (gently till you know your bikes limits)

Comment

here is a tip for Luke........................dont hit the nitrous till your in third gear

Comment

Always lift your sidestand before putting your bike in gear and riding off.

Comment

When parking next to high curbs or sidewalks, lift your toes and feet when pulling up beside the curb.

High curb + 500plus lbs. of rolling mass + toes or foot caught in between = Mucho Pain!!!!

Trust me on this one

Comment

Put at least one foot on the ground when you come to a stop.

Comment

Surprised no one has said don't drink and ride 8O

Also don't ride when taking any medications that make you feel drowsy or impair your motorcycle riding abilities.

Comment

Before changing lanes(on the hwy etc), twist your neck and look with your eyes, don't rely on just your mirror! 8O

Comment

Originally posted by back_online
                    Before changing lanes(on the hwy etc), twist your neck and look with your eyes, don't rely on just your mirror! 8O
                    Excellent!!!!! I was going to say that so I will just reinforce it. There is no substitute for a direct look. Mirrors are just a mirage of blind spots. It also keeps your neck and spine young as it is a good exersize in more ways than one

---------------------------------------------------------

My contribution is hard to put in words but I feel is my largest single contributing factor to riding accident free.

Try to be in control of your environment at all times as much as possible. This doesn’t mean that you can control what that cage driver is about to do but instead you can control how your going to react to it. You look, analyze and predict as much as you can and always move into a situation with as many outs as you can think of.

Here is a small and only one example of what I am saying:

- If they are going to come over on me I will:
                    - hit the brakes and back off (you’ve already looked in your mirror so see who is behind you or who is in another lane behind you and may come over to follow you around old pokey)
                    - Stomp it and make it past them quickly (you have already done your space judgment and can see that this is an option unless they are going to turn so quickly they roll over)
                    - Your going onto the shoulder to roll down and get back on the road when clear to do so. This is a last ditch effort to avoid being killed. But it is an option if you know how to do it. Check in advance if it is an option.

In the situation above if no two of the outs at least are available then it isn't a pass. That's control!

Stay ahead of traffic when possible. If stuck behind it and there are people behind you don’t tailgate. Give yourself a buffer zone.

Above all else, do whatever it takes for you to learn how to ride your bike and master it. Controlling your bike MUST be second nature if you are to put your mind to these other things. If you’re spending your time thinking about how to control the bike instead of how you’re going to react your time is limited. Get to an MSF course and also ask experienced riders for more advice and some rides.

Comment

Make sure your throttle is properly adjusted, and SNAPS back to the stops. (as evidenced by katman)

Make sure the bike starts, BEFORE you get your jacket, gloves, and gear strapped on.

In a multiple lane intersection, let the SUV in the outside lane run blocker for you. And don't accelerate ahead of them. (this is the only possable excuse for riding in sync with another car... )

Assume the guy coming up behind you at a light, isn't going to stop. I stay in gear with the clutch pulled untill I have at least one car behind me, stopped.

Cover your brakes at slow speeds. Follow the msf otherwise.

I know it's been said before. But imagine every car around you doing the most stupid thing at the same time. Keep yourself in a place where you can escape from said stupidity.

if you have a smaller bike, keep the rpm up in town. So you have power instantly available.
                      You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                      If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                      1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                      1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                      1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                      1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                      1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

When being 'tailgated', resist the urge to open the cap on the cardboard tube of Daisy Golden BB's allowing then to 'fall' out and ding up the paint and crack the windscreen of the offending vehicle behind you. :twisted:

BTW: Don't ride when tired, upset, or late for something. You will possibly loose focus on what you really need to be doing....

Comment

For those that insist on using tire dressing, do not get Armorall or any other type of tire dressing compound on the tread, as this will decreases traction greatly.
                          Somebody told me this once.

Comment

I'm a big fan of keeping the bike in gear at a stop light for the aforementioned reasons. Nerobro pointed this out as well as others on the "video" thread

When going down the road where there is an intersection and a car waiting to pull out, I always watch the waiting vehicle's wheel for rotation. First movement, cover the brakes. Second movement, off the throttle. Next movement, on the brakes. Sometimes you have to combine all three and just hit the brakes! You decide. Avoidance strategy may be different in your situation...

Sometimes you're in a lane where the lane next to you has vehicles backed up waiting for someone to turn left or right. I always expect someone to shoot over into my lane and pass. As previously mentioned, know your exit strategy for this kind of situation.

Make sure your turn signals work before you go out on your ride. Sucks trying to make hand signals with your hands let alone your clutch hand.

Hope I did not repeat too much!

-Jon
                            16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
                            13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
                            78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
                            Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
                            02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
                            12 Aprilia Shiver 750
                            82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

If you must drink rootbeer while driving your motorcycle, get a cupholder. If you place it between your legs you may be distracted.

Comment

Jethro....awesome thread!

I have to add this for younger and/or more inexperienced riders (like me). Pay heed to advice given by more experienced riders. I learned almost as much riding with my "big brothers" from New England last year than I did on the MSF course (granted, Keith IS an MSF instructor!).

After watching me ride, they were able to give me advice on how to better control my bike.

I have also learned an extraordinary amount on information from this site.

Comment

Working...
                                X