GS550ES GSRX rear shock conversion ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550ES GSRX rear shock conversion ?

for those of you who have done the GSXR shock conversion. How much did it raise the rear ride height? I need to know because I will be installing one on my 550 along with a Katana front end and rear wheel and I will modify the shock for the proper ride height.

I don't recall exactly, but I believe my conversion ended up lowering the rear height. Rather than modify the shock, I recommend you modify the connection arm between the swing arm and the rocker that compresses the shock. I added 3/4" to mine. Its mild steel, so it can be chopped and extra material welded in easily. I'll see if I can snap a picture of the modified piece tonight.

Comment

If I had to guess, I'd say it raised the seat 1.5" when I did it. Maybe all the GSXR shocks aren't the same? The top of the shock just pushes into the airbox as well when it's fully extended, but not enough to cause any problems for me in 12k miles.

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
        If I had to guess, I'd say it raised the seat 1.5" when I did it. Maybe all the GSXR shocks aren't the same? The top of the shock just pushes into the airbox as well when it's fully extended, but not enough to cause any problems for me in 12k miles.
        Do you have a picture of your setup?

Comment

Now were talking some confusion.
          One person says it lowered it the other says it raised it. Are you both using a similar year shock. I'm sure that would be the main cause for a difference.
          I was planning on using a 2000 and up rear shock with the piggy back resevior.

Comment

I'll take some pics tonight. I have a 2000 GSX-R 600/750 shock.

Comment

This is the bottom:

Comment

From the side:

Comment

And the top.
                  Sorry the photos aren't so great.
                  Basically I used the stock linkage and put the GSXR shock in upside down and back to front, with some washers as spacers for where the swingarm mounts to the shock. It took a bit of muscle to get the last bolt in since the shock is slightly longer than the stock one.

Oh, I did grind down the top a bit so it wouldn't poke into the airbox as much. (I didn't grind into the linkage, which is all that is touching the airbox, even though it doesn't look like that in the pic.)

I set the preload almost as high as it goes and it's a nice, plush ride, since a GS550ES weighs a lot more than a GSXR. For track use it might be too soft. Without a doubt it is much better than the worn-out shock it replaced and it was cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by doug g View Post
                    Now were talking some confusion.
                    One person says it lowered it the other says it raised it. Are you both using a similar year shock. I'm sure that would be the main cause for a difference.
                    I was planning on using a 2000 and up rear shock with the piggy back resevior.
                    OOOPS - Once I got home and did some more thinking, I realized it wasn't the shock that lowered my bike, but the katana wheels that I put on. So never mind! I believe P_S is correct in that it raises the rear a bit.

I would suggest that before you modify the shock, you do a little riding with the rear raised. It may quicken your steering by a nice amount. YMMV.

Good luck, and thanks for posting pics, P_S.

Comment

pics

Pics please...

Comment

I will be doing a Kat wheels front and rear and Kat forks and a GSXR shock. I will post pics when I actually get some more progress done.

Comment

Originally posted by doug g View Post
                          I will be doing a Kat wheels front and rear and Kat forks and a GSXR shock. I will post pics when I actually get some more progress done.
                          What kind of exhaust?

Here's my 550 after those mods:

Definately some good upgrades.
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2008, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Lee
                            that is great. I am looking for a pipe. Now I have a stock system that is in great shape. I would love a Kerker or Yosh. They seem pretty hard to locate.
                            i see you have regular handlebars. how did you modify the top clamp? that also looks like a stock 550 front fender. Is it? Did it mount roght up to the Kat forks?
                            have you ridden it much? Is it really that much better?

Comment

If you grab the whole front end off a katana it should swap right on IIRC. Same thing with a bandit 600 from the UK as well if I remember all the conversations.

On my rear shock replacement I threw out all the linkages and just went straight "eye to eye"... though it looks very similar to P_S's setup...

Comment

Working...
                              X