Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My custom D&D/MAC exhaust (with updated pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My custom D&D/MAC exhaust (with updated pics)

Well I have accumulated all the components to get this project under way.

Heres the D&D ZX7 full system I got off Ebay for $50 (Its all cleaned up and blasted) actually with paint, would look spanky! Man was it skanky when I got it!

Here is the full MAC Performance canister system for the GS's. I'm not feeling the love with that Diet Coke canister body:

So here is my goal. Taking the MAC head pipe setup, and mating it to the ZX7 midpipe, and finally the D&D muffler:

I am going to be bumping this thread as I make incramental progress with this exhaust, but I think it will look, and perform the shizz. If any of you have had the pleasure of hearing the gutsy bark of a D&D system, you know why I am putting this much effort into an exhaust. The only bummer with this whole deal, is my exhaust will have to be removed to gain acess to the oil drain bolt. I am thinking of machining a new drain hole in the oil pan, but that is down the road.
    Rich

sweet looking set up man!I like the looks of that muffler setup. At least you only have to drop em every 3500 miles or so to change the oil.thats worth every bit of it.

Comment

Well the exhaust is in the final stages. This mod was a lot easier than I expected.
      To mate the MAC header (which is 2.5") to the D&D muffler (which is 2") I purchased a reducer from my local NAPA store. So I simply cut a section of the ZX7 mid pipe to 6" long, and butt welded that right to the NAPA reducer.

I fabbed a 304 stainless bracket that bolted to the backside of the RH peg bracket. I had to do a bit of machining to the peg bracket to get the muffler bracket to bolt up flat. Then I tapped an additional 10mm hole to secure the muffler bracket to the footpeg bracket.

Here is the final mock-up. I have to tweak the short pipe a bit more as I bent the pipe a bit too much, no big deal. I used the complete MAC headpipe assembly, which maintained oil drainplug acess. I must say it's looks great!

Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2006, 11:37 AM.

Comment

How come I don't see any pics?
        1982 GS1000S Katana
        1982 GS1100E

Comment

You could use a drill pump and plastic hose to pump the oil out of the engine instead of dropping the exhaust. Due to the required nut on the inside a lot of stuff does not drain out of the pan anyway.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I used a Scorpion Oval exhaust can on my efe and cut 4" off it and 1/2 the baffles us the old can as the flange cut it down to 7" long and welded it to the Scorpion can. and still add access to the oil drain bolt if this helps

red

Comment

I can't believe how clean you've gotten that bike. I'd like to see some "before" pictures. did you paint the head? looks like you taped off the ports for paint.
              I can see a little leftover rust in the allen heads on the rearsets. I'm not pointing it out to be a dick, I'm pointing it out because if the rest of the bike looked like that, you have done an amazing job.
              Dammit, now that I've seen how clean you can make that bike look, I've got to do the same to mine. I really don't like the details. I'm more of a framer, not a finisher.
              looks awesome, keep posting the pictures!!!
              -KM

Comment

whoops.
                I just found your post in the Appearance Mods section.
                I think I'll be spending more time over there now.

Comment

Hey guys I lit the bike off tonight!!!! WOW does it sound AWESOME!! Closeing my eyes I would swear I was listening to an AMA Superbike. It has a bark that growls (but not ear splitting). I can't wait to feed this thing a WOT "snack" this spring. The carbs are off and need to be synch'ed, as I need to fine tune everything. Heres a pic of the final exhaust, all painted:

I think next winter I might have the header JET coated to have more "bling" factor. (remember I DON'T like black)!
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2006, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
                    Hey guys I lit the bike off tonight!!!! WOW does it sound AWESOME!! Closeing my eyes I would swear I was listening to an AMA Superbike. It has a bark that growls (but not ear splitting). I can't wait to feed this thing a WOT "snack" this spring. The carbs are off and need to be synch'ed, as I need to fine tune everything.
                    Aw come on. ride now 8O 8O 8O
                    Took the 83 to work today and had a blast, :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: , on the ride home. Snow ain't sticking to the ground yet
                    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                    2000 Kawasaki Concours
                    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by outofcontrol
                      whoops.
                      I just found your post in the Appearance Mods section.
                      I think I'll be spending more time over there now.
                      This is my first major effort as far as a "full blown" teardown of a streetbike, and man what a TON of labor involved in just cleaning the parts, let alone polishing them (aluminum) to make them look as new. Now I know how guys restoring muscle cars often invest severall years in a project. I have approx 32 hours, so far, and still need to do the front end! So I am about 75% done.

Comment

Nice thread, really appreciate
                        Your system looks REALLY Nice
                        I already have the MAC header
                        May be 'baywatching' for a canister and mid-section

Did you find it easier to use the Kawasaki mid-pipe, or just cheaper to find?

Could the same be done with a Suzuki D&D system for an Oil-Cooled bike?

Did you have to do the welding?
                        Would it fit 'snug' enough without welding the reducer?

Sorry for all the questions, but its almost time to wrap up the spring time projects. Thanks again for the link to your mods

Comment

D&D exhaust fab

Originally posted by mlaalm
                          Nice thread, really appreciate
                          Your system looks REALLY Nice
                          I already have the MAC header
                          May be 'baywatching' for a canister and mid-section

Did you find it easier to use the Kawasaki mid-pipe, or just cheaper to find?

I used the Kawasaki mid pipe because it had a slight bend already, and it fit into the D&D muffler originally, and the slight bend put the D&D muffler in a good position so as to not hit my swingarm, and not stick out too far (width wise).

Could the same be done with a Suzuki D&D system for an Oil-Cooled bike?

You could make any D&D nuffler work. Most all D&D mufflers use a universal 2" inlet, and the have a body clamp thast can be adjusted anywhere on the body, for mounting options.

Did you have to do the welding?
                          Would it fit 'snug' enough without welding the reducer?

I cut a piece from the Kawasaki mid pipe 6" long, then butt welded the NAPA adapter (which was 2" to 2.5") to the mid pipe. If you didn't have a welder, I'm sure Napa has a reducer so you could just use clamps.

Sorry for all the questions, but its almost time to wrap up the spring time projects. Thanks again for the link to your mods

I edited, and added some feedback to your post, and heres a link to D&D:

Experience the D&D difference & exhaust innovation with our high performance aftermarket exhaust systems designed for Harley, Triumph, and Indian motorcycles.

Rich

Comment

how is the build quality of the MAC pipes? im looking at going 4-1 soon.

Comment

The headers are pretty decent and seem to flow well. Its just the megaphone canister that seems a little 'cheesy' to me. I really like what Road_Clam did with his system and how 'clean' it came out even with the reducers and clamps.

Nice Job Dude

Comment

Working...
                              X