GS1000 Ninja Brake mod w/ pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Ninja Brake mod w/ pics

Again, for those thinking of doing this swap, read this thread carefully. Ask questions. Understand what you're doing BEFORE you start.
    So far, this swap has only been done on 1978 GS1000's.
    If you are attempting this on another type of GS, ask me, I may be able to help you figure it out for your model.

It only works if you use fork legs from a dual disk bike.
    Rotors from a single disk bike.
    And the correct calipers.

It's that simple. If you don't understand how, or why it works, read it again, ask questions or don't attempt it.

The parts I used:
    1. 1978 GS1000E forks. The fork lowers MUST BE FROM A DUAL DISK BIKE
    2. Pair of rotors from a Single disk bike 550 or larger. Any year should work, but 78, to 80 are what I used. 78 1000C 791000N 78,79 GS750 78,79,80 GS550
    3. Pair of 1990 something Kawasaki Ninja twin piston calipers. See list below for the correct calipers.
    4. Two custom made lower brackets. (made by me) EDIT: These were the prototypes. If you want the real deal, send a message to salty monk Here's the thread: Link
    5. If you decide to follow me down this path, you do so at YOUR OWN RISK. This thread is for entertainment only.

This is the list of the Kawasaki models that used the correct caliper for this swap.

EX 250 Ninja 1988 to 2007 (single caliper on right side)
    EX 500 Ninja 1994 to 2007 (single caliper on right side)
    ZL 600 B1 Eliminator 1995 to 1996
    ZR 550 B1/B2/B3 Zephyr 1990 1992 1993
    ZX 600 C1-C9 Ninja 600 R 1988 to 1996
    ZR 750 C1/C2/C3 1991 to 1993
    ZX 750 F1/F2/F3/F4 Ninja 1987 to 1990
    ZG 1000 A9-A20 Concours 1994 to 2006
    ZX 1000 B1/B2/B3 Ninja ZX10 1988 to 1990

Suzuki also used this caliper on the VX800, GS500 and the GSX1100G

Prototype steel brackets mounted on a 1978 GS1000:

Forks:
    Suzuki GS550 (83-86) GS750SD GS850 all GS1000 all GS1100ET/EX/EZ/ED/ESD/GZ/GD/GLZ/GLD/LT/SD GS1150 all used 37mm forks. Caution: Some models use leading axle forks and can not be swapped without the triple.

GS550 (77-82) GS550MZ GT550 GS650 (except Katana) GS750B/C/EC/N/EN/ET/EX/EZ/LT/LX/TZ/TD all used 35mm forks. Caution: Some models use leading axle forks and can not be swapped without the triple.

Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2009, 06:35 PM.

Looks like it's gonna work! Are those 2 or 4 piston calipers?

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by humhead View Post
      Looks like it's gonna work! Are those 2 or 4 piston calipers?

Terry
      Two piston.
      Since both pistons are on the outside, they are as narrow as a stock GS caliper.

Comment

Sweet! Are you going to lose the wire wheels Jeff or is the mag just for mock up?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar View Post
          Sweet! Are you going to lose the wire wheels Jeff or is the mag just for mock up?
          I think I'm going to have to...Either the front rim is out of round, or the tire was molded incorrectly. The front jumps around a bit at low speed. I'm afraid better brakes will only compound the problem.
          Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2006, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
            I think I'm going to have to...Either the front rim is out of round, or the tire was molded incorrectly. The front jumps around a bit at low speed. I'm afraid better brakes will only compound the problem.
            Do you know how to tune them? If so I can almost guarantee that is what it needs. The tire is new but that front rim was severely out of whack after I got the running flat last year. Also, I believe the front is the one that has a bad spoke nut? It still holds the spoke but is cracked. Please look at it closely if you plan to re tune it.

I redid it and it was true but my experience with these is that after one is out of whack as bad as this one was it will need to be re tuned a few times over time as you ride on it to walk it back in. For sure lose it if it doesn't feel safe. The mags look great and work well too but they add unsprung weight as they are heavier.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar View Post
              Also, I believe the front is the one that has a bad spoke nut? It still holds the spoke but is cracked. Please look at it closely if you plan to re tune it.
              I know how to tune 'em but, to tell you the truth, I don't plan on messing with it. I'm all about low maintenance, thats why I ride a GS. :-D

Comment

I know how to tune 'em but, to tell you the truth, I don't plan on messing with it. I'm all about low maintenance, thats why I ride a GS. :-D

FWIIW- I'm probably putting mags on mine too

Comment

' find an extra set, send 'em my way.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                    ' find an extra set, send 'em my way.
                    Do you realize what it's going to feel like riding a GS1000 that actually has BRAKES! :shock:

Comment

Do you realize what it's going to feel like riding a GS1000 that actually has BRAKES! :shock:
                      No Stoppies, Jeff! [-(

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
                        No Stoppies, Jeff! [-(
                        This 'aint about tricks, Grandmaster Flash.
                        I'm trying to avoid being a hood ornament...

Comment

Very interesting 8Track. Did you go with the single discs due to a larger diameter or is there something else that makes them work better than the twin discs? Keep the updates comming. Ray
                          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

This 'aint about tricks, Grandmaster Flash.
                            I'm trying to avoid being a hood ornament...
                            That's gone in the sig! \\/

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
                              Very interesting 8Track. Did you go with the single discs due to a larger diameter or is there something else that makes them work better than the twin discs? Keep the updates comming. Ray
                              Using the larger disks allows you to bolt the caliper to the upper mount, so only a lower bracket has to be fabricated.
                              The other benefit is a larger swept area. The downside is weight.
                              The Ninja calipers seem to be a bit lighter than the stock GS calipers, so it may even out...

Btw, The reason I don't have both calipers mocked up in the photo, is because the guy I got them from sent me two right's.
                              I got another pair from a 1994 on ebay today with new pads for...get this...$19.95. You guys need to start snatching these up!

I'm using steel spacers now but...Anybody want to make me some aluminium spacers?
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2006, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X