DIY ~ Oil Catch Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY ~ Oil Catch Tank

Just want to share, this what i do with my crankcase breather which usually the hose connect to airbox... I dont like any engine oil get inside the airbox and suck by the carb. In the long run, the blow by/vaporise oil from crankcase will accumulate inside the airbox and will drip everywhere. Not good for enviroment

I found out the Zippo refill tin can perfectly fit and i used stainless steel mesh breather under the petrol tank.

Okay possibly a good idea. Did ya do anything with the air box drain hose. Reason for asking just pulled my carbs and the air box had not only oil a small amount, but also trash stuck to the oil. Am wondering if it came from the drain or at one time it had bad boots. Probably both.

Was sitting on throne and thinking is your breather hooked to bottom of air box? Good idea getting better.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-14-2012, 09:36 AM. Reason: Just a thought.

Comment

. My bike is 32 years old and I have never found any oil residue (nor trash) that amounted more then getting a couple a q tips dirty. The new tubes for the air box now have a removable plug in them, it seals the air box and you can remove the plug if you need to drain the airbox (if one has to do that, you've way too much blow by from the pistons or something). I guess at some point some really bad maintained bikes were dumping enough oil and getting on the rear tire. Guess I don't need to say what can happen then lol.
      Last edited by mrbill5491; 12-11-2012, 03:20 PM.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Is your Zippo can vented? If not, there won't be any airflow to get any vapors into the can to collect any fluid.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Is your Zippo can vented? If not, there won't be any airflow to get any vapors into the can to collect any fluid.

he has a small k&n style filter tee'd into the hose. you can see it poking out the top of the frame
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

OK, did not see that before.

Apparently, any vapors are going to go out the filter, any liquid that has condensed in the line will drip down to the Zippo can.

Personally, I have not had any problems with the vent line connected to the airbox, but not everybody has an airbox.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by metalman View Post
              Okay possibly a good idea. Did ya do anything with the air box drain hose. Reason for asking just pulled my carbs and the air box had not only oil a small amount, but also trash stuck to the oil. Am wondering if it came from the drain or at one time it had bad boots. Probably both.

Was sitting on throne and thinking is your breather hooked to bottom of air box? Good idea getting better.

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
              . My bike is 32 years old and I have never found any oil residue (nor trash) that amounted more then getting a couple a q tips dirty. The new tubes for the air box now have a removable plug in them, it seals the air box and you can remove the plug if you need to drain the airbox (if one has to do that, you're way too much blow by from the pistons or something). I guess at some point some really bad maintained bikes were dumping enough oil and getting on the rear tire. Guess I don't need to say what can happen then lol.
              Originally posted by Steve View Post
              OK, did not see that before.

Apparently, any vapors are going to go out the filter, any liquid that has condensed in the line will drip down to the Zippo can.

Personally, I have not had any problems with the vent line connected to the airbox, but not everybody has an airbox.

Hi all,

Just my humble opinion;
              The carb suck air from the airbox case, before get into the carb it went through the air filter. But our GS air box got three hole connected with; 1 for crankcase breather, 1 for drain any petrol overflow or engine oil from crankcase & 1 of course for our airbox case with filter. So better i shut the crankcase breather as engine oil may vaporize & get inside the airbox as sometime bad thing may happen more likely to our 30++yrs GS. With that, we may extend the carb & airbox cleaning service. With oil catch tank (OCT) also we will know that our engine got problem when the OCT fill up with engine oil within a week .

I want my carb to get clean fresh air from the filter blend with petrol but not with engine (vaporize) oil to get clean burn. For the drain hole under the air box i may put stainless steel mesh filter. i dont want to shut that drain hole as If my neddle valve spring faulty the airbox will floaded with petrol.

Comment

After 6 months installed the oil catch tank (OCT) ~ the result;

If this end up inside my air box, this mean that i need to do air box cleaning after 6 months ++ and carb cleaning after 1 year ++.

Comment

What's the red electrical box to the left of your Zippo can in the first pic?
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    I am guessing fuse box.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                      Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
                      I am guessing fuse box.

Pivot ~ volt stabilizer http://www.pivotracing.com/

It actually for car but i install it because of the benefit above and got volt meter too .

Comment

Working...
                      X