Another Fork Seal thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done

ok follow-up final Mike got me back a to his place. We checked the seals and changed the fork oil to 15wt Front end is much more firm.

Comment

Originally posted by Kcwiro View Post
      Upon inspection today I have discovered my leaky fork seal was in fact leaking due to the snap ring jarring loose. I used my punch tool to gently tap the seal back down and re-secured with the snap ring.

I am thinking my spacer is too long and is making my front springs a too stiff. As I noticed the leak after I hit the bump leading into my parking lot. I think the spacers need to be shortened a touch and 15WT oil is going in.
      Same seals still holding up fine? My own Leak Proof ( classic, non moly) seem to have given up the ghost over the winter. They were installed almost 4 years ago though, so may be shot (so much for the 'lifetime guarantee') ...with Progressive springs and no air. Probably worth checking to see if the snap ring is dislodged, but I do want to drain the old oil and refill with fresh anyway....picked up some #20 Bel Ray fork oil to try, but may use 3/4 20wt and top up with some #10 which I'd forgotten I had a litre of. Found the 10wt too light last time, I'm thinking at 210lbs 20wt or the mix shouldn't be too harsh.
      Going with Extreme Racing seals this time....supposedly a superior composition and much more durable than stock....got a good deal on them at $14.00 shipped from the U.K. Hopefully they deliver as promised.
      Tony.
      Last edited by Mysuzyq; 03-21-2010, 06:14 PM.
      '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
      Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
      X