GS450 Mega Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hidden Electrics Tray

Got done with hiding all the components under the seat. Looks pretty damn good. Easy project too.

Scott

Comment

Nice! So what you got planned with all that extra space? Are you gonna use the sidecovers?

Comment

You'll see....

Got parts coming for the rear end next week! Not going to be using the side covers, but alas they don't fit your model.

Scott

Comment

I wasn't planning on using yours. Just wondering. Can't wait to see the rear end

Comment

Hey Scott, I'm digging that empty space. Can you post some pic's of how you got the electrics mounted?

I'm aiming for the same empty space on mine, but then i want to fill it with a weather proof secure storage compartment. My plan is a flat seat, no duck tail, and reuse the lock from the seat/duck tail on the storage compartment, and I need to move the electrics to do this.

Are you changing your seat pan at all? I initially thought a L or T pan would suit nicely, but I don't believe I can get one here in Aus, and closer looks at pic's around the place show the L and T frames appear to be a little shorter in the rear than the E frame. So, I'm not sure what to do about that just yet, but don't want to cut the frame.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Sure thing.

I'll get some pics up to later today. I just made a small tray that fits between the frame rails. Its a bit crowded in there right now. I am going to shorten up the harness when I get some time.

I do plan on cutting up the seat pan and going with either a small cafe seat, or a flat seat like you mentioned. I'd really like to have a nice small sealed compartment also. Be neat to see what you come up with.

Comment

Pics

Side and top view of the mess. It works though!

And sometime in the off season.....

Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2010, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Good stuff Scott, thanks for the pic's.

My only thinking with that is will the heatsink get enough airflow mounted like that? I was thinking of mounting upside down below the pan rather than on top like that... just a thought anyways.

sigpic

Comment

Pete,

I had the same thoughts. I may move it down. The ends are open to airflow however. I'll have to see if get's too warm.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by scottychop View Post
                      Side and top view of the mess. It works though!

And sometime in the off season.....

would love to get a set of wheels for the 650 shaftie Im gonna start.

Comment

Those dual projector lamps look excellent. Did you photoshop the blue tint? Otherwise get some tint wrap from Lamin-x. Have you thought of a vintage motocross handlebar? They have cross bars that have a mean, aggressive look about them:

BTW, thank you for building a serious GS450! It's resreshing to see someone stepping out of the traditional viewpoint with such an underappreciated model!

Comment

cool

Yeah, just got some real risers in case I go with new bars. The headlights are actually a blue color. They are H1 bulbs, not true low/high's like the H4. I use one for day, both for night. That's the theory anyway, I haven't got my spacers for the rotors yet.....

Comment

Swingarm Business

Got my Katana swingarm. Guess I bought the wrong one though, because the swap is going to be a PIA. Stock swingarm is about 201.5mm. The new Katana is 240mm with 35mm bearing faces. Now, that sounds like an easy bearing swap and a bit of a shave right? Nope. I cannot find a 22x29x20ish needle bearing anywhere. I checked McMaster-Carr, Applied Bearing, and a couple of bike stores seeing if I could fit something. Now I have to go and find a machinist to do the Mill work. Mo-money......

Here is the setup zip-tied in place and a photochop of what my end product might look like.

Comment

I like how you colored the rear suspension

So you're going the mono shock route, eh? Interesting...

By the way, those two GS500's are all yours. They both look good to me and from what I have seen, the GS500 swingarm and wheels is a very simple swap for the GS450.

Comment

I must say I like that photochop... I like it a lot!

That stock front mudguard actually works really well with that image too which is amazing.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X