Mis-adventure in the Big City: Tale of two 850's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mis-adventure in the Big City: Tale of two 850's

Disclaimer: The following account is filled with a combination of horrendously bad luck, macguyver-ing roadside fixes, and a pinch of lunacy. Please don't think any less of us . Also excuse me for being wordy, the pictures are on Aaron's camera, I will do my best to be entertaining.

So yesterday morning at around 10 am I suited up with many many layers to take the bike out for the day. The plan was to ride over to fellow GS'r Aaron (the schwartz) and go from there. Aaron lives about 20 minutes away, and by the time I got there I was just about frozen solid. It was a nippy 30 degrees or so.

Now I should mention that when I went to start my bike, the battery was dead. It seems it won't hold a charge for anything over a week with this cold weather. No problem though, I was prepared for this! I had charged up a spare battery previously. So I did the swap, went to start the bike, still nothing. Crap. Despite the charger telling me that the spare battery was fine, it wasn't. I managed to jump the bike and away I went. This would be a bit of a recurring theme of the day as it turns out.

Aaron and I had originally planned on doing a ride out to Bear Mountain, which is a gorgeous ride, filled with nice roads, and about a 3 hour round trip. However the weather showed it was even colder up there, in the twenties so we decided to change the route up a bit. We would head into Manhattan, over the Brooklyn bridge, and down to coney island. Where we would take all sorts of cool pictures of our bikes. Well that was the plan. As the title says this was a mis-adventure. We never did make it to coney island....

We started up the bikes to head out. Mine was still warm, and jumped to life with no problem. Aarons battery was low, but since his bike is blessed with a kickstarter he was able to kick it over in no time. Our first stop was a gas station. Got some air into Aarons tires. And I noticed I was dangerously low on oil. So I figured oil is oil, and would be changed soon anyway, so I got two quarts of gas station oil and put it in. Now at this point, Aaron also checked his oil, first by the sight glass, then by opening the cap and looking in. Since he is new to GS's and just getting accommodated I explained how the sight glass works and the bike must be upright for a true reading. He was fine on oil, and put his cap back on and we were off. (PS this is important to the story so excuse the seeming mundane details )

I immediately regretted the gas station oil. It is no Rotella Heavy Duty. I noticed down shifting immediately became a chore, and the bike was having trouble going into Neutral at all. Lesson learned folks, I know I didn't do my bike any favors with the junk oil. However since we spend the next 30 minutes idling in the Lincoln tunnel, I'm glad I did have some oil in there.

Finally we got through the tunnel and were into the city! Now if you have never ridden a motorcycle in New York City, there are few words that can describe it. There are pot holes the size of voltswagons, army's of pedestrians trying to cross the street, and of course hordes of merciless yellow cabs that want nothing less than your death. It is an insane rush to be sure. Anything seems legal and justified in this situation. Lane splitting, no problem, riding on the sidewalk, why not. Illegal turns, you bet. Anything to stay ahead of the mob.

The ride continued at this wild lunatic tempo. Complete with an excellent blast through the tunnel right before the Brooklyn bridge. Doing 70 in second gear though a tunnel is an incredible noise, I highly recommend it . Emerging from the tunnel we were on East River waterfront. Like I said I had no pictures, but Google Maps does. This is an idea of what the scene looked like yesterday on the waterfront. Barges and old ships converted into floating restaurants and clubs. It's a pretty cool place.

And just beyond the boats was the Brooklyn Bridge.

While we were crossing the bridge, I noticed something wrong with Aaron's bike. There was a mess of blue smoke, but it looked to be coming from before the exhaust tips. We get over the bridge and realize that his oil filler cap, was GONE! There was oil bouncing out of the crank case, and his leg was covered in the stuff. It seemed he had not tightened it down fully, and it had vibrated and bounced out over the bridge.

Needless to say this was not good. We pulled up on the sidewalk and figured out what to do. Aaron took the cap off my bike, and put it on his. Luckily, I had a rag with me, and so we were able to wipe the oil off his bike and rear tire . The plan was for him to do a lap of the bridge, and try and spot it, while I would try and track down a hardware store to attempt to make a plug. At this point we are on the foot of the Brooklyn bridge (with a awesome view of the freedom tower being constructed) I am waiting, trying to keep warm, while Aaron searched for his plug. Suffice to say that after two laps of the bridge we decided it was lost forever and on to plan B. We managed to track down a hardware store, and Aaron went with a shopping list of anything that may seem useful to plug the hole.

He came back a few minutes later with duct tape, two different sized bath tub plugs, a bag of rags, a plastic bag, and a light bulb socket. I had a bit of weatherstripping in my bag as we were gonna properly seal his airbox later that day. Sound like a famous television show to anyone yet?! We managed to wrap the lightbulb socket in a layer of weather stripping, and duct tape, and it proved to be just the right diameter, with just enough squish, to thread into the hole. We then taped the heck out of the top to prevent it from bouncing out again. Job mended!! Alright lets ride on! EXCEPT...

My battery had died again. At least we were on the top of a small hill, so we figured we'd try and bump start it. This didn't work either. However there was a cafe at the bottom of the hill. So we took a much needed coffee and snack break. Aaron generously paid for my lunch as he felt bad leaving me sitting in the cold for an hour and change while he tried to find his cap (still didn't need to do this Aaron!). We had a tasty lunch of garlic bread and eggplant parm, which were both awesome.

Bellies filled and warmed up, we headed outside to try and flag down someone with jumper cables. A very nice man driving a big HD version F150 stopped and had the cables. He mentioned he rides a BMW GS, and couldn't believe that both out bikes were in such good (relative) shape for their age. We got my bike jumped again, and after a laugh with the guy when he saw out bodge job on Aarons bike we were off again.

I immediately noticed a problem though. My throttle was sticking, and wouldn't return by itself. Crap. Aaron was quick to notice the problem though, I had bumped my throttle lock half on by mistake. Flipped that off and away we went. Both bikes running well we decided that Coney Island could wait, it was getting dark now and we should be headed home. A mercilessly uneventful trip out of the city, although we did do another round of tunnel blasting , and we got back to Aarons place. I helped him order some things needed to do valve adjustments, and sealed his airbox. Our makeshift plug worked well and held all the way home.

End Part One... To be continued.

Begin Part Two.

By now it was 5 o'clock, dark, and even colder than before. I had to get home. I went to start my bike. DEAD AGAIN. Thankfully we managed to flag down a nice lady who had cables, for the 3rd time today, jumped my bike. However the seat was off. Ordinarily not a problem. HOWEVER, the latch that holds my seat on had closed. Only way to open it is to use my key. The one in the ignition needed to keep my bike alive... We decided to do it as quick as possible. Pull the key, open the latch, put the seat on, key in the bike, and try to start it again. Of course this involved a lot of fumbling with cold numb fingers. We got the seat on, but when we tried to start the bike, chunk, chunk, chunk. Not enough juice to start it. Crap. Out of desperation I hit the button one more time, and in a stroke a brilliant luck, the bike roared to life again! After laughing at our final good fortune, I put my helmet on the seat and went to put my gloves on.

Then I heard a bad noise. The kind of noise that only a helmet falling off a bike, onto hard asphalt, and something breaking can make. CRAP!!! The part that holds the visor on had broken off and vanished into the night. I knew the helmet would need to be replaced immediately. However I also knew I needed to get home. We pulled out the duct tape, and taped the entire visor shut. It seemed sound enough, and finally at almost 6 I headed home. I got about 200 feet, and noticed a huge flaw in our bodge job. We had taped over the mouth vent, meaning my visor was fogged with condensation. I pulled over, struggled to get into neutral because of the crap oil I had put it, but was able to clear the vents and get the helmet unfogged.

Final barrier over I thought, time to go home. Well it wasn't free just yet. The highway that I needed to take to get home was a parking lot due to the football game. After the day I had, I was not gonna put up with this crap. Lane split here, ride on the shoulder there, whatever it takes the get though this traffic. I made short work of the people sitting in their cages, and finally, after an 8 hour mis-adventure, returned home. Fingers numb, helmet smashed, crappy oil in bike, chilled to the bone, but smiling.

We had done it. After on hell of a day, we both made it through in one piece. Now I get to go helmet shopping, and Aaron gets to go oil cap shopping

The man who gave me the jump in the city asked what it was like to ride vintage bikes. I think yesterday summed up that whole experience. From the oddball issues and on the road fixes to the unmistakable joy of hearing your machine come back to life against all odds. Yesterday was a good day.

Thanks all for reading. Hopefully Aaron chimes in soon with the pictures to prove our tale of Mis-adventure in the Big City.

Cheers,
    Tim

Comment

Hip, Hooray! Call it trial by fire! Been there, done that, Thank God it wasn't in the Big Apple, and not quite as redundantly painful as yours....
      I'm taking a 180 mile ride today (round trip) to the VA Hospital in St. Cloud, MN to get my ankle scar evaluated again, as just a touch to part of it sends me through the roof. It's over 30F, so I can ride. We are in the middle of a brown Christmas season this year, no snow predicted until Wednesday.

Comment

OMG. Sorry to hear of all of the terrible mis-fortunes.
        But, in true biker fashion, you guys muddled through it all and still managed to have fun and arrive alive and in one, freezing cold, piece.

Daniel

Comment

Great job getting through it all.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

epic triple fail. what a great day!

kudos on the terrific write up, tim. i'll post some pics later tonight - sadly we only took a few but it's hard to think of posterity when you're in the middle of this kind of debacle.

Comment

Hi,

Wow, that was and adventure! A comedy of errors but a good ride among friends. I guess you've figured out by now what maintenance you have to do to your bikes and how important it is.

Thanks for sharing. That was quite a fun story.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 12-19-2011, 02:43 PM.

Comment

macguyver!

+

+

=

works like a charm!

Comment

Great story guys! Glad you both made it through and home in one piece

Now would it have been half as fun on modern bikes? I don't think so

As for noise through tunnels... yeah I know what you mean there, gotta love the sound of your own pipe right?
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

hilarious, thanks guys

Hi,
                    This story is one for the ages, in forty years of riding, Ive managed to never have put the string of things together all in one ride, but have done most of them one at a time and returned home basically unscathed. I think my good luck comes from being a relatively fair weather rider, so the battery thing wouldnt affect me much, and the fact that my rides are short, due to my general physical condition being not so hot anymore. A large ride like that one, would be epic for me, a once in multiyears ride and would probably be considered a fiasco regardless, even if the bike and general riding conditions were fine . I remember being up on Lake Superiour Drive, a washboard road twenty plus miles long, with no off ramps, when the oil plug came out on my Yammy xt 500, splashing oil everywhere. I had a rag, and decided to quit dirt riding, and plugged the hole just fine for the trailer ride home. This was in 1983. In about 78, I came upon an overturned jeep, with the driver dangling from his seat belt from a fast attempt on a curve, I quick put my helmet down on the seat, and it ended up falling to the ground pretty hard too, breaking the visor snap, but it was seventy degrees out, negating the possiblity of need for ductape. In about 75, my cousin and I went on a round the thumb ride in Michigan, in late October. We got back in daylite, but my lips were blue, and I was so hypothermic that I had to warm up for ten minutes in the house, BEFORE, I started shivvering uncontrollably. Thats way too much cold. And I didnt really think it was that cold til I got off the bike, thats very dangerous since hypothermia basically mimics drunkeness, such that it slows your reaction times .

You young riders that can handle these long rides, be sure to watch out for the maintenance like Cliff suggested, that should minimize too many of these fiasco rides. To repeat the oft used phrase, there are bold riders, and there are old riders, but there are very, very few, old, bold riders.

Comment

Oh Tim, (and others), here's an FYI on jump starting your bike (experience speaking here). Take off the side cover where your starter solenoid resides, attach the POS+ lead to the battery side of the solenoid. Attach the NEG- lead somewhere on your frame where there's a good ground. Then, you don't have to perform the seat removal fiasco.

Comment

tim with our bikes

from my shopping trip. a bit disappointed that the bathtub stopper didnt end up getting used :_

best $2.50 i ever spent

vents? we don't need no stinking vents!

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
                          Oh Tim, (and others), here's an FYI on jump starting your bike (experience speaking here). Take off the side cover where your starter solenoid resides, attach the POS+ lead to the battery side of the solenoid. Attach the NEG- lead somewhere on your frame where there's a good ground. Then, you don't have to perform the seat removal fiasco.

That is a very good tip. Gonna have to remember that one. Of course I also need to find out how my batteries have been dying so fast, and make sure that they are being charged. Since from the looks of it, a kicker is difficult to retrofit, I get to go through my harness again and find the power drain

Aaron thanks for posting up some pictures

Comment

Good story guys.
                            The main point is the 850 will get you home no matter what
                            McLoud
                            '79 GS850
                            `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                            sigpic
                            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Having experienced the charging system failure many times on my GS, I built a nice set of jumper cables that are on the bike at all times now.
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X