Ok I need help or suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I need help or suggestions

Well I have no patience so I messed around with my suzuki gs100 until I may have broke it. The PO rigged the tail light up so I tried to get back to working condition so I could put a normal tail light on it with turn signals. Long story short I would turn the key on and put the tail light wires to the original. Full light would come on and tail light wouldn't react. Anyway two of the wires touched while I was distracted AND all went dark. Headlights, instrument panel, etc. Battery is fine but no power. I am hoping something as simple as a fuse. Advice?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2016, 05:46 PM.

Very likely your main fuse popped. I don't have any 1000's at the moment to look at and don't know what year yours is but you probably have a fuse box that looks like this. It'll be under one of the side covers or under the seat.

Comment

Main fuse is the second from bottom (the only 15A) if we are talking about a GS thou;
      anyway you should have glass fuses, so it wouldn't be difficult to identify the blown one anyway.
      GS1000G '81

Comment

There was one blown fuse on the bottom. Ithe was a 10. I replaced it with a 20A with no luck. Will they interchange or will it have to be a 10A? The second from the bottom appeared to be fine.
        I don't see anything that looks like that Dohcbikes.
        This is what I am looking at. I will go tomorrow and get a 10A and see if that works
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2016, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearjew View Post
          There was one blown fuse on the bottom. Ithe was a 10. I replaced it with a 20A with no luck. Will they interchange or will it have to be a 10A? The second from the bottom appeared to be fine.
          Well yes they will interchange but you don't really wanna do that. The amperage ratings are specific to each circuit for a reason so always use the recommended amperage for each.

Comment

Ok, 10A tomorrow with update. Switching didn't work anyway so either the fuse wasn't interchangeable or there is a problem somewhere else. I am almost positive it is a fuse the question is which one and where?
            Gauges don't work, headlight, tailight. Picture of right side
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Guest; 08-21-2016, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Another piece to this puzzle. It will turn over but will not run when I short the solenoid. Makes me think it is a bigger problem than one fuse. Must be a main fuse somewhere like Dohcbikes mentioned. But which and where is the question
              I bet when I get this figured out I stop messing with the old brake light and order a new one.

Comment

Is that an in-line fuse on the smaller positive lead at the battery??
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Nice eyes!

I had not even noticed it, But it is. It looks to be fine. I am getting power at least up to the solenoid. Guess I will just have to trace it until I lose the power
                  Attached Files

Comment

Ok. I found the issue? I was outside testing the wires, cables, fuses etc. And noticed power in second fuse from the bottom but nonever coming out. While testing my fuse ends I touched my tester end to the fuse from the wire and everything lit up. It appears that either the holder was loose or when the fuse blew it loosened the holder? I don't know but I took some pliers and tightened everything up a little and everything is good again. So it blew two fuses and the connection was loose. Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

Same problem - sort of

Originally posted by Bearjew View Post
                      Ok. I found the issue? I was outside testing the wires, cables, fuses etc. And noticed power in second fuse from the bottom but nonever coming out. While testing my fuse ends I touched my tester end to the fuse from the wire and everything lit up. It appears that either the holder was loose or when the fuse blew it loosened the holder? I don't know but I took some pliers and tightened everything up a little and everything is good again. So it blew two fuses and the connection was loose. Thanks for all the help guys.
                      Hi there

This is the closest I could get to the issue I am dealing with. In short - the electricals on the bike just quit. When I turn the ignition key to on - there is nothing. Battery is fine. There is current in the 2nd fuse from the bottom - but in none of the other fuses. When I bridge the solenoid the engine turns over.

I do not have the fuse as show in picture 214625 posted by Bearjew.

Is there anything I can check? I am a 1st time wrencher - so any help will be greatly appreciated, but please make the advice as detailed as possible. I feel that it should be something that connects or is common to the top 3 fuses but just cannot fathom what it could be from the wiring diagram.

I have checked that I have the correct wiring diagram. I have indicated which fuse has current when the the ignition key is turned to on

Current.jpg
                      1982 GS1000G

Comment

Exponent, you should start a new thread. Also, the picture you provided is quite small...
                        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                        X