Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Carb float level(s) height

Hey all,

I keep reading a reference to a clear tube method of checking float levels in CV carbs. I have looked for a post or link for the actual procedure of doing this, but I can't seem to find it. Does some one have a detailed procedure of how to check float levels using this method. I have done a static check. What parts are needed and where should the level be at , etc

Thanks

Would you belive that it's all shown in the factory manual?

If you don't have one already, there is a copy in BassCliff's site that you can download.

Basically, you have to modify a spare drain screw (they are a different thread pitch) to insert a tube into a hole that you drill in the screw. Run a clear hose from that tube up to the side of the carb bowl. The spec is to have the fuel level 5.0mm, +/- 0.5mm from the top of the bowl. Of course, you have to do this for each carb.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

funky, but works:
      Drain your carb bowl.
      if you take a piece of clear tube,that is a bit bigger in diameter than your carbbowl drain, and, say, 6" or more long , heat it with a heatgun (or maybe really hot water) and PULL on the ends,It will stretch and get THINNER where it was softened...let it cool,
      then cut where diameter is slightly less than the carb-bowl drain screw.
      Then, screw it in.(but not so much as to interfere with your floats!)
      Then, hold the open end above carb withh a piece of string etc .
      Turn tap to prime. Watch for leaks. It won't if you did it gently. Don't put goo on it if it doesn't seal. You don't want stuff in your bowls so redo it.

and you will save making a fancier assembly.

ADD: note the little safety pan underneath as you test it...an aluminum pieplate is also good. also for draining bowls....If you put it right up to carb, it's as accurate as anything can be. Mainly, you don't want level to be above gasket. Remember your bike is not in a natural position on centrestand.It's tilted forward.
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-07-2017, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the help ! Good picture, thanks for that. I'm assuming your doing that without the engine running, just checking float level with fuel.
        I was wondering how it could be done on the inside carbs with the engine running and the airbox on !

Comment

mmm. Yes I've got twins, but off the cuff, you could take the main tank off and put it on a table at the same height above the carbs..This would be to allow operation of the vacuum petcock ( extended hoses needed of course) and you mightthen be able to get at stuff a little easier...

or,saving all that, possibly you could use a bubble level on a stick to "bring" the gasket sight line out to compare with a longer tube (or,You have CV carbs? so the top of them is pretty level too)
          ..but I wouldn't-it's too much funk injected into the "experiment!"....

I can't think why you can't run the bike ok with these if you are careful not to pour gas all over the place, but what are you hoping to find?

?If it's just a feeling that a carb is flooding, maybe just loosening the bowl screws so gas level that is too high floods out the seam. (with a pan under)?
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 03-08-2017, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
            mmm. Yes I've got twins, but off the cuff, you could take the main tank off and put it on a table at the same height above the carbs..This would be to allow operation of the vacuum petcock ( extended hoses needed of course) and you mightthen be able to get at stuff a little easier...

or,saving all that, possibly you could use a bubble level on a stick to "bring" the gasket sight line out to compare with a longer tube (or,You have CV carbs? so the top of them is pretty level too)
            ..but I wouldn't-it's too much funk injected into the "experiment!"....

I can't think why you can't run the bike ok with these if you are careful not to pour gas all over the place, but what are you hoping to find?

?If it's just a feeling that a carb is flooding, maybe just loosening the bowl screws so gas level that is too high floods out the seam. (with a pan under)?

It's running too lean - my troubleshooting keeps sending me back to float levels. I did it with a ruler but I was wanting something more accurate I guess.

Comment

Working...
            X