No announcement yet.

anyone go for a ride today? Pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I managed 53 laps at The Ridge Motorsports Park. Good times.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Funny someone mentioned Winslow and then the subject of storms came up. One of the best rides I've taken on the 1150 was a 1000 mile trip around the state. I was cruising out of Winslow on my way to St. Johns to hook up with the 191 and rode about half the distance (50 miles, give or take) in a beast of a monsoon. I love riding in storms. Makes you feel truly alive. I didn't have the Eagles on, but was enjoying listening to Arctic Monkeys and Yeasayer.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Ride to Brown Co rally, Thursday, Stop At Kirstin "World Of Motorcycle" Museam,

Departed about 630am. 48 degrees. (out of focus pic, I know)

Met Justin (my son) a few miles south of town.
        Rode south on same route I take to work at about same time.
        Saw cars/people I recognized haveing seen from time to time... and though "Hey, and they are going to work haa haaa haa!"

Justin had us routed to avoid Interstate as much as practical.
        Instead of 360 miles made it closer to 400, and require early start, but that is okay.

Here is Justin, somewhere well into Indiania

Made it the Kristen Museam (maybe not spelling it correctly). Is inbetween a big H-D dealer and a Yamie&other dealer, out in middle of corn fields, miles from any small town....

Go in between the two dealers and is the museam.
        We said lets try to limit it to half hour, we said.

Was an older gentelman there, in an electric cart thing, just opening up (hour and half late) as we walked up.
        We saw the $5 admission charge, went to hand it to him, and he just nodded toward a counter ther in the lobby, so we stepped over there and added our bills to some others that were scattered around in various places along the counter.
        We signed the guest book, looked like 4 - 6 - 8 people a day in recent days.

Was thinking about the dealership hiring this fellow to attend to the museum.....

Stepped from the lobby, through the doors to the main part ... oh, man, look at all these... this is gonna be more than half hour....

Here is about 1/3rd of the first of 5 or 6 rows, and then another room of cars and trucks. There is the fellow that let us in. He started chatting and we were thinking that we just wanted to walk around.

Some other folks came in after us, and he started to chat with them, so we stepped away........
        Found lots of stuff besides the rows of H-D. Lots of Kawis, and these few Zukis.

A few BMW, several british, and stuff like Matchless and such.
        Some custom built stuff like a bike with a Lincoln V12 flathead....

Heard the fellow say to the other folk
        "Yah, at one time or other I have ridden everything in here."
        "Got all these one at a time over the years... not one of them from the internet..."
        hum... then come to realize, this guy is Jim Kirsten.... this is his personal collection

This bike is the bike in the picture on dispaly, and that guy in the picture (1970?) is the guy that let is in, the guy in the electric cart can see there.

This is his museam of personal collection. He is the guy that started the dealerships there.
        So did let the other folks catch up to us some so I could step over to talk to the Jim Kirsten.

"Yah, thats me and my wife, she was killed just down the road, truck pulled out in front of us, I was pretty smashed up too, I knew my head was busted, they later told me they didnt think they could save me......" (that sentence took about a minute and half for him to say).
        "My kids run the both of the dealerships now."

Later I saw he is 83 years old, and later I saw a memorial to his wife, 2004. Oh!

Quite an expereince to see this museam and talk to the guy.
        Caution though: Carefull in stepping inbetween the bikes, lots of oil dripping.

I would say about 40% is Harleys. And a lot of really rare or unique bikes.

I have been to other museams, but this is great to realise this is one guys private collection, and that is him there. Also had a 1/2scal replica built of his first dealership, complete with lifts and spare parts and such.
        I do recommend it, will have to check to better describe where this is located.

Other pics of our travels that day.

Made it to Bedford about 430pm I think.

>>>Later note:
        Info on the museam

Yep, I did spell it wrong, is spelled "Kirsting".

To describe where that is at... it is not close to anything, .... about 10 miles off of US421 in northwest Indiana.

8774 WEST 700 N. WINAMAC, IN 46996
        (4 MILES SOUTH OF NORTH JUDSON ON HWY 39)

Kersting's Cycle Center sits between the tiny Indiana towns of North Judson and Winamac--about 110 miles due north of Indianapolis. "We're in the country, so it's us and horses and Harley® Hogs," Jim says, adding that some of those horses and hogs have served as payment over the years. "I've taken them in trade before, everything anybody wanted to trade," he says. "I still think it's a pretty good system. There's always someone wanting to buy horses and the pigs got put in the freezer."
        In 1960, he married Nella, and they began work on their dealership's new home. "We built it out of cement blocks, and it was 28 feet wide and 70 feet long," Jim says. "The first 30 feet on the west end was our living quarters." Jim and Nella's two eldest children, Sandy and Randy, were born during the seven years the Kersting's lived in that building. The youngest, Jason, was born after they moved into a little home in North Judson.

Last edited by Redman; 06-12-2017, 09:14 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Made it to bike week in Laconia..

-Rich

1982 GS850GL - WE DID IT! Introduction

Comment

Me and the missus took a 40-mi ride for some ice cream. Stopped for this photo op at the Memorial Arch in Huntington WV

Last edited by kerrfunk; 06-12-2017, 09:04 PM.
            "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

50 mile blast into work this AM. Last day before we close on the house, Then it off to Laconia!!!!

I'll be done with work by 4PM... I'm riding hard today!!! SUMMER IS HERE!
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
              Originally posted by Hayabuser
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Jedz, what is the unusual building behind?
                2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Departed about 630am. 48 degrees. (out of focus pic, I know)

Met Justin (my son) a few miles south of town.
                  Rode south on same route I take to work at about same time.
                  Saw cars/people I recognized haveing seen from time to time... and though "Hey, and they are going to work haa haaa haa!"

Justin had us routed to avoid Interstate as much as practical.
                  Instead of 360 miles made it closer to 400, and require early start, but that is okay.

Here is Justin, somewhere well into Indiania

Made it the Kristen Museam (maybe not spelling it correctly). Is inbetween a big H-D dealer and a Yamie&other dealer, out in middle of corn fields, miles from any small town....

Go in between the two dealers and is the museam.
                  We said lets try to limit it to half hour, we said.

Was an older gentelman there, in an electric cart thing, just opening up (hour and half late) as we walked up.
                  We saw the $5 admission charge, went to hand it to him, and he just nodded toward a counter ther in the lobby, so we stepped over there and added our bills to some others that were scattered around in various places along the counter.
                  We signed the guest book, looked like 4 - 6 - 8 people a day in recent days.

Was thinking about the dealership hiring this fellow to attend to the museum.....

Stepped from the lobby, through the doors to the main part ... oh, man, look at all these... this is gonna be more than half hour....

Here is about 1/3rd of the first of 5 or 6 rows, and then another room of cars and trucks. There is the fellow that let us in. He started chatting and we were thinking that we just wanted to walk around.

Some other folks came in after us, and he started to chat with them, so we stepped away........
                  Found lots of stuff besides the rows of H-D. Lots of Kawis, and these few Zukis.

A few BMW, several british, and stuff like Matchless and such.
                  Some custom built stuff like a bike with a Lincoln V12 flathead....

Heard the fellow say to the other folk
                  "Yah, at one time or other I have ridden everything in here."
                  "Got all these one at a time over the years... not one of them from the internet..."
                  hum... then come to realize, this guy is Jim Kirsten.... this is his personal collection

This bike is the bike in the picture on dispaly, and that guy in the picture (1970?) is the guy that let is in, the guy in the electric cart can see there.

This is his museam of personal collection. He is the guy that started the dealerships there.
                  So did let the other folks catch up to us some so I could step over to talk to the Jim Kirsten.

"Yah, thats me and my wife, she was killed just down the road, truck pulled out in front of us, I was pretty smashed up too, I knew my head was busted, they later told me they didnt think they could save me......" (that sentence took about a minute and half for him to say).
                  "My kids run the both of the dealerships now."

Later I saw he is 83 years old, and later I saw a memorial to his wife, 2004. Oh!

Quite an expereince to see this museam and talk to the guy.
                  Caution though: Carefull in stepping inbetween the bikes, lots of oil dripping.

I would say about 40% is Harleys. And a lot of really rare or unique bikes.

I have been to other museams, but this is great to realise this is one guys private collection, and that is him there. Also had a 1/2scal replica built of his first dealership, complete with lifts and spare parts and such.
                  I do recommend it, will have to check to better describe where this is located.

Other pics of our travels that day.

Made it to Bedford about 430pm I think.

>>>Later note:
                  Info on the museam

Yep, I did spell it wrong, is spelled "Kirsting".

To describe where that is at... it is not close to anything, .... about 10 miles off of US421 in northwest Indiana.

8774 WEST 700 N. WINAMAC, IN 46996
                  (4 MILES SOUTH OF NORTH JUDSON ON HWY 39)

Kersting's Cycle Center sits between the tiny Indiana towns of North Judson and Winamac--about 110 miles due north of Indianapolis. "We're in the country, so it's us and horses and Harley® Hogs," Jim says, adding that some of those horses and hogs have served as payment over the years. "I've taken them in trade before, everything anybody wanted to trade," he says. "I still think it's a pretty good system. There's always someone wanting to buy horses and the pigs got put in the freezer."
                  In 1960, he married Nella, and they began work on their dealership's new home. "We built it out of cement blocks, and it was 28 feet wide and 70 feet long," Jim says. "The first 30 feet on the west end was our living quarters." Jim and Nella's two eldest children, Sandy and Randy, were born during the seven years the Kersting's lived in that building. The youngest, Jason, was born after they moved into a little home in North Judson.

I live right up the road from there ! ! ! Well, 20 miles (ish). Wish I knew you guys were coming through my way, I'd have met up with you... Kerstings Motorcycle Museum, cool place. Only a couple classic Suzuki's but a lot of classic bikes in general...
                  '83 GS 1100T
                  The Jet

sigpic
                  '95 GSXR 750w
                  The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Took a 40 mile out and back to the Arizona Historical Museum today. No pretty scenery, but probably the last sub-100 day here in the Valley of the Sun until October.

029.jpg
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

Here's a shot of some of the fun stuff inside:
                      045.jpg
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                        Took a 40 mile out and back to the Arizona Historical Museum today. No pretty scenery, but probably the last sub-100 day here in the Valley of the Sun until October.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51497[/ATTACH]
                        I would wither in that heat. I would just give up on life, curl up and call it quits. How does anyone survive that?
                        2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                        82 gs1100L probably the next project
                        1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                        1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I spent my childhood in Cleveland, and still visit a couple of times a year when I can. I don't love the heat, but the worst of it is from June through August, and I ride up north more during these months (30 degree difference between Flagstaff and Phoenix; Flag is at 7000 feet), making longer trips and foregoing more than short very early morning sorties on two wheels in the Valley.

96 degrees is really not too bad out on the bike. It's an old saw, but there's truth to the dry heat thing.
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

My bride and I spent a few hours in the saddle today. Actually we think it might be her highest mileage day, at about 103.
                            Did not know that we were going to pass this site, but when we saw the sign, we had to stop.

"I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                              I spent my childhood in Cleveland, and still visit a couple of times a year when I can. I don't love the heat, but the worst of it is from June through August, and I ride up north more during these months (30 degree difference between Flagstaff and Phoenix; Flag is at 7000 feet), making longer trips and foregoing more than short very early morning sorties on two wheels in the Valley.

96 degrees is really not too bad out on the bike. It's an old saw, but there's truth to the dry heat thing.
                              You could soak your mesh jacket in water before you ride, and every half hour if you can. I did that once on a 90º+ day, real chilly but it dries fast.
                              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I got caught cranking on the Kanc. I didn't notice the guy half way through the turn and CLICK... HAHAH

(Laconia) Bike week has been a blast, Living out of my back pack for now. Racking as many miles as I can... I will be hitting 5K miles on the new Harley by the end of the weekend. It has some flaws but all in all this bike has been very good to me. It also is a great bike to just shed miles out on.

Getting poured on right now so I'm doing some forum surfing then once we break 60' I'll be getting the rain gear on and finding some dry spots. Think I'll head over to Lake placid, Less rain in the forecast

Some pics so far:
                                Wednesday I met up with my sister and bro-in law. They rode all day with their Road-glide. Awesome time!!

I hit the test ride tents in Louden! Tried the new Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber... It was interesting. Don't get the hype for the Guzzi's but it was a nice bike. My Bro in law and my sister test rode the Flying fortress behind it. My brother is a huge HD fanatic but he was thinking about a change up on the next bike, the flying fortress being #1 in his mind now... HAHA

I didn't test ride it but after having some saddle time in the Road Glide I may consider this as a replacement once the ZG1400 is up to the 100K mile mark.

The new Yammy Venture Intercontinental... What a phenomenal looking bike. Shan and I need a more comfortable bike for long trips, I'm starting to grow out of the I-4 crazy fast sport touring bikes. I think this might be the next ticket... Still 4-5 years down the road. I'll have the Connie for a bit more time .

Good weekend so far!!! Hitting the shower, breaking out the rain gear and continuing this adventure!!!
                                Last edited by Jedz123; 06-16-2017, 10:11 AM.
                                Jedz Moto
                                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                                2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                                2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                                2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                                Originally posted by Hayabuser
                                Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X