Possible Frankenbike situation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Frankenbike situation.

Hi, Jeremy here. Recently acquired a maroon '78 GS750 from an old boy at my church who was looking to free up space in his garage...right place/right time situation. Anyway, I figure for the price, it was the perfect opportunity to learn myself some stuff about bikes so I started stripping it down. It is currently fully disassembled in my garage (frame bare) and I'm starting to strip paint/degrease/tinker and hope to ride it one day before I die.

Anyway, I've noticed a few suspect things I thought I might inquire about here and just see what some of you guys might think...any input welcome, thanks.

1) I believe the bike was originally a plain old GS750 (no E) as it has a single front disc. But I have noticed the # plate on the engine does not match the # stamped into the neck. And when I pulled the engine out there is a slight dent in the frame behind the mount where the engine maybe bumped it if/when they swapped it out.

2) The exhaust on it is a 4 into 1 on the right hand side which I believe I've seen guys describe as an option off of an 850...?

3) The fork caps were enormous and I had to remove them completely to get the tubes out of the yokes. A few guys on here told me they were clearly not OEM. Possibly someone's shop project...yikes.

4) The bike also had a massive luggage rack on the back the likes of which I have not seen on any other GS I've looked at. Could've moved a chesterfield with that thing.

Anyway, sorry for the novel, and sorry if this is the wrong place to post...just worried I'm into something that was cobbled together by a PO.

Thanks in in advance for any info at all.

Jeremy

Some pics would help. Your very descriptive, but a picture speaks a thousand words.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Engine numbers and frame numbers usually don't match on most Jap bikes. The frame number is usually the VIN.

I remember the thread with the fork caps - yes they were weird.

4-1 exhaust is aftermarket - most exit on the right (not just the 850).

Luggage racks are mostly aftermarket - maybe post a pic of that?

So far, apart from the goofy fork caps I don't see anything to worry about.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
        Engine numbers and frame numbers usually don't match on most Jap bikes. The frame number is usually the VIN.

I remember the thread with the fork caps - yes they were weird.

4-1 exhaust is aftermarket - most exit on the right (not just the 850).

Luggage racks are mostly aftermarket - maybe post a pic of that?

So far, apart from the goofy fork caps I don't see anything to worry about.
        nice, thanks for the info.

here is the roof rack
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
          Some pics would help. Your very descriptive, but a picture speaks a thousand words.
          Thanks for reply. heres the ding I mentioned. Right between the 2 bolt holes for the engine mount. Does this compromise the structural integrity of the frame at all?...
          Attached Files

Comment

If you don't want that luggage rack, clean it up a bit, SOMEBODY will want it. That particular one is nice, in that it's a good rack, and the backrest is not overly tall, like a "sissy" bar.

That ding in the frame rail is nothing to worry about.

Don't worry about matching the numbers of the frame and the engine, NONE of them EVER matched.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              If you don't want that luggage rack, clean it up a bit, SOMEBODY will want it. That particular one is nice, in that it's a good rack, and the backrest is not overly tall, like a "sissy" bar.

That ding in the frame rail is nothing to worry about.

Don't worry about matching the numbers of the frame and the engine, NONE of them EVER matched.

That is a relief thanks (about the ding AND the non matching numbers!)

As far as the rack goes and selling it...and I know a lot of the GS purist guys will hate this...but I plan to sell off a bunch of stuff that won't be going back on the bike. I love the custom looks of some of the cafe/brat bikes out there and am gonna take a crack at it myself. So if it's not the frame, tank, tail, engine, or rims...it'll be available for purchase once I get it all sorted and shined up.

thanks again for all the help man. Will help me sleep tonight

Comment

Originally posted by jerpare80 View Post
                Thanks for reply. heres the ding I mentioned. Right between the 2 bolt holes for the engine mount. Does this compromise the structural integrity of the frame at all?...
                They all have that dent. Maybe locating for the tooling when they welded them up? Oh, the single\dual disc was a function strictly of the year.Single disc I think is 77-78 only? I am not a 750 guru, just guessing.
                Last edited by bobgroger; 06-17-2017, 10:53 PM.
                sigpic
                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                1983 GS1100e
                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                1980 GS1260
                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                X