Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
    i'm interested !
    Want to do the m-unit too, but i have not found a good alternative for the m-switches yet.
    Oh, and I found a new but open box M-unit on ebay for $270.00 shipped .... had to grab it.

Comment

Motofreak makes a quad button...but is that price correct? "Revolver 4"

Comment

This is the current state of my bike.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jerpare80 View Post
          This is the current state of my bike.

^^^ Very tasteful and original use of the GS tail section. You will not be yet another cafe racer clone wannabe thankfully, & will have some greater elements of styling that most any other generic looking cafe racer clone. I don't care for cut frames much, but if you do ot, do it this way... not the generic cafe not-racer clones that all emulate each other. You are a mile ahead of the rest already!
          Now... don't use Chinese fake piggyback shocks, and wisely consider your fork and triple clamp choices to make sure you bypass the other huge cafe racer builder flaw - use triple offset and front wheel diameter / head stock rake to pick a triple that will give you a sporty amount of trail. 17" wheels, stock ft/rr ride height bias, & vstrom 1000 triples will clamp in 43mm CBR600F4/F4i forks or Suzuki RF900R forks which are both amazing damping forks. Then you will have way better trail (steering geometry traits) than all the modern fork "conversion" cafe racers. Make this bike really special & a true performer, not just a typical ill-engineered cafe racer clone art project.

If 18" wheels or 18/19, taller rear shocks and a 93+ vmax "vmx1200" triple with a spacer under the lower bearing conversion will have more offset to reduce the trail that the bigger front wheel generates. 100/90- front tire is best no taller overall diameter. BT45V battlax is the shortest in that size, so best steering...
          Keep up the good vision.
          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
            Motofreak makes a quad button...but is that price correct? "Revolver 4"
            https://shop.motofreakz.de/
            Sounds correct, checked on different sites.
            Rediculous prices like the Motogadget stuff, but at least it looks great and i like the dedicated buttons. Good plan !!
            Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
            Bikecliff's website
            The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

is that the GS750 tail section Jerpare80 ?
              I like what you are doing !!

Have this bike on my brain since i first saw it .. your build is an extra inspiration !

Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post

^^^ Very tasteful and original use of the GS tail section. You will not be yet another cafe racer clone wannabe thankfully, & will have some greater elements of styling that most any other generic looking cafe racer clone. I don't care for cut frames much, but if you do ot, do it this way... not the generic cafe not-racer clones that all emulate each other. You are a mile ahead of the rest already!
                Now... don't use Chinese fake piggyback shocks, and wisely consider your fork and triple clamp choices to make sure you bypass the other huge cafe racer builder flaw - use triple offset and front wheel diameter / head stock rake to pick a triple that will give you a sporty amount of trail. 17" wheels, stock ft/rr ride height bias, & vstrom 1000 triples will clamp in 43mm CBR600F4/F4i forks or Suzuki RF900R forks which are both amazing damping forks. Then you will have way better trail (steering geometry traits) than all the modern fork "conversion" cafe racers. Make this bike really special & a true performer, not just a typical ill-engineered cafe racer clone art project.

If 18" wheels or 18/19, taller rear shocks and a 93+ vmax "vmx1200" triple with a spacer under the lower bearing conversion will have more offset to reduce the trail that the bigger front wheel generates. 100/90- front tire is best no taller overall diameter. BT45V battlax is the shortest in that size, so best steering...
                Keep up the good vision.
                wow, you have made my day with that response. Thank you for the kind words...sincerely

But I ust one question...what's a cafe racer?

Lol😂 kidding. Actually, I wasn't intending to go quite full cafe with the bike. Just wanted to change the look of a few things while I had it all apart to clean and paint. 5 birds with one stone kind of thing if you knowmsayin... I figured I would first work on the parts and pieces I could do relatively cheap and on my own till I had the funds saved up for the electronics and other parts I want to replace. As for the frame, I just knew I wanted it to be a solo machine so I figured the passenger peg mounts/tubes were useless going forward...but I understand what your saying.

And the parts advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks a ton for all that info. These are the things I need to be considering for when I get into making performance decisions down the road...thanks again man

Comment

wow, you have made my day with that response. Thank you for the kind words...sincerely

But I ust one question...what's a cafe racer?

Lol kidding. Actually, I wasn't intending to go quite full cafe with the bike. Just wanted to change the look of a few things while I had it all apart to clean and paint. 5 birds with one stone kind of thing if you knowmsayin... I figured I would first work on the parts and pieces I could do relatively cheap and on my own till I had the funds saved up for the electronics and other parts I want to replace. As for the frame, I just knew I wanted it to be a solo machine so I figured the passenger peg mounts/tubes were useless going forward...but I understand what your saying.

And the parts advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks a ton for all that info. These are the things I need to be considering for when I get into making performance decisions down the road...thanks again man
                  Do the ton...some folks hang over there too........

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                    is that the GS750 tail section Jerpare80 ?
                    I like what you are doing !!

Have this bike on my brain since i first saw it .. your build is an extra inspiration !

yes it's the original tailpiece. Saw a few guys cutting them down to various sizes so gave it some careful consideration before I chopped mine up and I'm happy with the line I got. Thanks for the comments.

that bike is quite the machine. The exhaust looks pretty wild. Very cool though. Guy must have a fortune into that thing Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Chuck, what year CBR600 F4 forks are best.
                      -F1/F2/F3 ok?
                      -Would CBR900F? forks be better suited for a 1000G...weight wise?
                      {E's are easy to mod....G's are tougher}

Comment

yes it's the original tailpiece. Saw a few guys cutting them down to various sizes so gave it some careful consideration before I chopped mine up and I'm happy with the line I got. Thanks for the comments.

that bike is quite the machine. The exhaust looks pretty wild. Very cool though. Guy must have a fortune into that thing Thanks for sharing!
                        It looks wicked...but I'd almost worry about the exhaust cooking the fuel with it being so close to the float bowls

Comment

Do the ton...some folks hang over there too........
                          Yeah ive check it that site a few times. Cool stuff on there for sure

Comment

It looks wicked...but I'd almost worry about the exhaust cooking the fuel with it being so close to the float bowls
                            Id be worried about it cooking my butt

Comment

Chuck, what year CBR600 F4 forks are best.
                              -F1/F2/F3 ok?
                              -Would CBR900F? forks be better suited for a 1000G...weight wise?
                              {E's are easy to mod....G's are tougher}

Last year of CBR600F2 is cartridge, same fork as all years cbr600f3. Guts are used in a lot of custom cartridge retrofits into damper rod forks. These are 41mm and great for swaps using GS wheels if you want to be able to use the brakes made for those forks as well - they are a single sided twin piston caliper that clears wider mag and spoke wheels well. I have a thread on here somewhere exploring what triple clamp sets looked to be good candidates to clamp these. The very heavy GS1100GK triples are direct swap. Axle adapters and rotor spacers would be all that's needed in the custom depth with GS wheels. Adjustable rebound on fork caps

CBR600F4 (&fuel injected F4i) are 43mm and fully adjustable damping.
                              VStrom 1000 triples with the shorter aluminum steering stem (early 00's?) look to be a good fit and 43mm offset. An 18" wire spoke front rim in a 2.50x18 size and 100/80-18 (especially in a BT45V Battlax front tire, shortest height vs similar brands in same size = faster steering) would do alright with rake and trail there as well, with taller rear shocks around 345mm length depending on bike geometry/rear tire size/etc.

RF900R are shorter versions of the awesome Bandit 1200 forks. 97 (&96?) Had adjustable rebound. These are pretty short. Bandit forks are GS750-1000 height, & both Bandit 1200 & RF900R forks look darn near identical to GS forks externally. CBR forks have different style caliper mounts that make them appear to be modern. The modern RF / Bandit GSF1200 forks look very similar to GS forks but run 310mm rotors (98-99 CBR900RR are 310mm rotors and same bolt pattern as GS hubs!)

Yamaha R6 right side up forks are the absolute lightest conventional cartridge forks I've checked out, stanchions are thin though (I've seen a crashed set, ouch). 320mm rotors. A Ducati model has 6 bolt 320mm rotors per EBC catalog specs that could be adaptable to 6 bolt GS hubs and run with the R6 forks.
                              Honda Superhawk VT1000 forks are also a good swap, but you want to ditch the calipers for identical looking CBR600F4 calipers which have bigger pistons. 41mm and fit very nicely in Honda PC800 triples but the step down upper triple will have stanchions standing proud above the triple at proper ride height unless you shave the bar mounts and run clipons.

*steering stops generally all will need reworked on any fork swap I list, fyi. Except RF900R OR 89 GSXR1100K forks in V-Max 1200 triples on a Rickman race frame, dead on exact fit! Lucky me

Any of these forks will still need racetech or sonic springs, they are all off of lighter bikes that a 750/850/1000/1100cc GS four.
                              Last edited by Chuck78; 06-13-2018, 12:36 PM.
                              '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
                              '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
                              '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
                              '79 GS425stock
                              PROJECTS:
                              '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
                              '77 GS550 740cc major mods
                              '77 GS400 489cc racer build
                              '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
                              '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Yeah ive check it that site a few times. Cool stuff on there for sure
                                Interesting stuff at Old Skool Suzuki as well.
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X