No announcement yet.

Storm's Summer Motorcycle Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was in Co last year. Seemed like every road was stunning. Over every hill or pass you couldn't wait to see what was on the other side. Avoid Chicago like the plague...
    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
      . However the speedometer quit working. I checked the cable, it's fine. It's in the lower mechanism by the wheel.
      In cases like this, I wonder if a bicycle computer wouldn't make a good quick improv. They're cheap, easy to install & waterproof, with (usually) a nice big digit readout. Just figure out away to mount the magnet on the wheel & zip-tie the pickup.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Or a RAM mount for a cell phone with GPS?
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          Or a RAM mount for a cell phone with GPS?
          (That technology wasn't available in 1979, can't use it) ☺

Since I was just 40 miles out of Omaha Nebraska, I met up with Larry(alke46) for breakfast. We were chatting about this and that. Then ol' uncle Larr pulls out the speedometer gear that I needed. We go back to his house, pull off my front wheel and replace my broken speedometer gear! I also check out his 1000e to see what else could steal from it! Haha. We also adjust my chain and tire pressures. 👍 Afterwards, I traveled down the road. It was a nice ride with cooler temperatures. I did hit a little rain, but rode right through it. I made it to Peoria Illinois. Not sure what direction I'm going to go tomorrow. I'm still watching the storms coming from the south... Here's a picture of Larry working on my motorcycle. I wasn't going to do anything, it's his shop and his tools.☺
          Attached Files
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

It's nice to know people in various places.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What Steve said. I have found this to be very true and valuable in the past.
              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                It's nice to know people in various places.

You bet it is! A world of nice people out there....
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I made it home. 6,068 total miles.

Yesterday I basically just chased the rain all the way to Indianapolis. Once there I got a nice hotel by the airport. Today's weather was beautiful! Since I was in no hurry to get home I decided to check out the Airforce Museum in Dayton Ohio. What a awesome place! I could have spent a lot more time there... I'll elaborate more about my "adventure" as things come to me. Like the wonderful people I met along the way. Pull into a gas station or diner on a old Suzuki, with a smile on your face and you meet some interesting folks. Heck, I didn't even need a gun! There's a few things I'd do different, but I got the motorcycle selection right👍
                  Attached Files
                  My Motorcycles:
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)

Comment

Nice. Glad it was a safe and good trip.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

C'mon Storm---Peoria to Indy and you stopped? What happened to going to Columbus to see your brother?

Just messin' with you. Glad you made it home safe and sound. This memory will last a lifetime. Good on you for doing it. Too bad it had to be so hot in the southwest, otherwise you might have made 7,000 miles out of it.

How's that back tire looking now? I'm referring to the cut looking marks that you showed me.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Congrats Norm!

And nice touch with the Air Force Museum in the background.

Ed
                        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Congratulations Norm! 6k miles is quite a trip!
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g
                          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Well, Norm, if you had mentioned yesterday that you might be stopping by here (Dayton) on your way home, we could have met you at the Museum, instead of our ride to check out the Traveling Picnic venue.

Congrats on the trip, looking forward to some details. Basic route, cities visited, etc.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Well, Norm, if you had mentioned yesterday that you might be stopping by here (Dayton) on your way home, we could have met you at the Museum, instead of our ride to check out the Traveling Picnic venue.

Congrats on the trip, looking forward to some details. Basic route, cities visited, etc.

Steve, you did good for going for a ride. The museum is a rainy day thing.

All in all I had easy riding days. There were a couple of hard rides. Going from Bisbee Arizona to Albuquerque New Mexico. That was HOT (around 100°) and windy. I think the combination of the heat coming from the road, and windy conditions, and riding at 80mph, the air was so sharp and turbulent. The other hard riding day was going from Denver Colorado to Lincoln Nebraska. Another HOT and long day(535 miles) and my speedometer quit working. Then I had trouble finding a hotel room. Texas on the other hand was nice. Light traffic, 85mph speed limit, and I met some nice people in Texas. The Natchez Trace, very beautiful. I wish I was able to ride the whole thing. I also wish I could have went up through Arizona. I really wanted to meet up with Peppermint Patty. With the temperatures record high 115-120° in Phoenix it might as well been -10° same thing... Things I'd do different, I'd pack a spare clutch cable (I nevere did have any troubles). Also I should have left three weeks earlier and wound my trip up with the Brown County Rally. Where am I going next year??? NOVA SCOTIA👍 Now I have to get out there and wash my motorcycle. It deserves it! What a great motorcycle.☺
                              My Motorcycles:
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)

Comment

Nice waitresses in that place.

Comment

Working...
                                X