• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will have a look, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
      i'm interested !
      Want to do the m-unit too, but i have not found a good alternative for the m-switches yet.
      I just did for us!
      Check these out.....from russia with love...lol. Alot cheaper than motogadget and even cheaper than motone....

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
        I just did for us!
        Check these out.....from russia with love...lol. Alot cheaper than motogadget and even cheaper than motone....
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/MGG-Momentar...53.m1438.l2649
        Excellent find ! I just ordered 4 of them, thanks !
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Excellent find ! I just ordered 4 of them, thanks !
          4?...doing two bikes?...or do you have a lot of accessories to control?
          I bought two 3 way switches....will wind up having LH controls as {two rearward} horn and LH turn, with the forward switch as headlight hi/low - and - RH controls as {two rearward} RH turn and start. with the forward switch as stop......that's the plan at least.
          I'd wish one more for "flash to pass"...if I reread the M-unit manual I might not have to do that....idk.
          I'm thinking of hitting up the local trophy shop to see if they could engrave the buttons in the icons I'd want..........just because it would look cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
            Last year of CBR600F2 is cartridge, same fork as all years cbr600f3. Guts are used in a lot of custom cartridge retrofits into damper rod forks. These are 41mm and great for swaps using GS wheels if you want to be able to use the brakes made for those forks as well - they are a single sided twin piston caliper that clears wider mag and spoke wheels well. I have a thread on here somewhere exploring what triple clamp sets looked to be good candidates to clamp these. The very heavy GS1100GK triples are direct swap. Axle adapters and rotor spacers would be all that's needed in the custom depth with GS wheels. Adjustable rebound on fork caps

CBR600F4 (&fuel injected F4i) are 43mm and fully adjustable damping.

RF900R are shorter versions of the awesome Bandit 1200 forks. 97 (&96?) Had adjustable rebound. These are pretty short. Bandit forks are GS750-1000 height, & both Bandit 1200 & RF900R forks look darn near identical to GS forks externally. CBR forks have different style caliper mounts that make them appear to be modern. The modern RF / Bandit GSF1200 forks look very similar to GS forks but run 310mm rotors (98-99 CBR900RR are 310mm rotors and same bolt pattern as GS hubs!)

Yamaha R6 right side up forks are the absolute lightest conventional cartridge forks I've checked out, stanchions are thin though (I've seen a crashed set, ouch). 320mm rotors. A Ducati model has 6 bolt 320mm rotors per EBC catalog specs that could be adaptable to 6 bolt GS hubs and run with the R6 forks.
            Honda Superhawk VT1000 forks are also a good swap, but you want to ditch the calipers for identical looking CBR600F4 calipers which have bigger pistons. 41mm and fit very nicely in Honda PC800 triples but the step down upper triple will have stanchions standing proud above the triple at proper ride height unless you shave the bar mounts and run clipons.

*steering stops generally all will need reworked on any fork swap I list, fyi. Except RF900R OR 89 GSXR1100K forks in V-Max 1200 triples on a Rickman race frame, dead on exact fit! Lucky me

Any of these forks will still need racetech or sonic springs, they are all off of lighter bikes that a 750/850/1000/1100cc GS four.
            I've got sonic 1.0 springs and salty monk brake upgrade that were supposed to go to the 850G...guess they can be re-purposed either way.
            Thanks for the write up...excellent info and very thorough....Thank you!

Comment

4?...doing two bikes?...or do you have a lot of accessories to control?
              I bought two 3 way switches....will wind up having LH controls as {two rearward} horn and LH turn, with the forward switch as headlight hi/low - and - RH controls as {two rearward} RH turn and start. with the forward switch as stop......that's the plan at least.
              I'd wish one more for "flash to pass"...if I reread the M-unit manual I might not have to do that....idk.
              I'm thinking of hitting up the local trophy shop to see if they could engrave the buttons in the icons I'd want..........just because it would look cool.
              yes two bikes, my buddy will use the v2 on his bike and i will use the v3.

Have been checking out the M-unit stuff for hours now man what an options.

I'm trying to figure out a way to have a "flash to pass" too.

Engraving sounds COOL !
              Last edited by Rijko; 06-23-2017, 07:01 PM.
              Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
              VM Carb rebuild tutorial
              Bikecliff's website
              The Stator Papers

Comment

i like the idea of the Compu-Fire output fuse on the solenoid,
                and the socket they added.
                Makes the overall look cleaner.
                Good warnings about small batteries too.

Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                Bikecliff's website
                The Stator Papers

Comment

Good warnings about small batteries too.

https://youtu.be/QwBX8WvcYNU
                  Yes, if a cycle has kick start then you can have a small battery....both of mine don't, so I have to tote a large battery, like it or not.
                  Kick start and good tune is the kinder way to go....some few folks can actually bump start a smaller cycle to lessen needed things...

Comment

My '78 gs750 project

Playing around with a few ideas for the lines I want on the bike...lookin for an original seat shape and possible front fairing...curious what some of you guys think
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jerpare80 View Post
                      Playing around with a few ideas for the lines I want on the bike...lookin for an original seat shape and possible front fairing...curious what some of you guys think
                      Looks good. I like the taper effect from tank to tail.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                        Last year of CBR600F2 is cartridge, same fork as all years cbr600f3. Guts are used in a lot of custom cartridge retrofits into damper rod forks. These are 41mm and great for swaps using GS wheels if you want to be able to use the brakes made for those forks as well - they are a single sided twin piston caliper that clears wider mag and spoke wheels well. I have a thread on here somewhere exploring what triple clamp sets looked to be good candidates to clamp these. The very heavy GS1100GK triples are direct swap. Axle adapters and rotor spacers would be all that's needed in the custom depth with GS wheels. Adjustable rebound on fork caps

CBR600F4 (&fuel injected F4i) are 43mm and fully adjustable damping.

RF900R are shorter versions of the awesome Bandit 1200 forks. 97 (&96?) Had adjustable rebound. These are pretty short. Bandit forks are GS750-1000 height, & both Bandit 1200 & RF900R forks look darn near identical to GS forks externally. CBR forks have different style caliper mounts that make them appear to be modern. The modern RF / Bandit GSF1200 forks look very similar to GS forks but run 310mm rotors (98-99 CBR900RR are 310mm rotors and same bolt pattern as GS hubs!)

Yamaha R6 right side up forks are the absolute lightest conventional cartridge forks I've checked out, stanchions are thin though (I've seen a crashed set, ouch). 320mm rotors. A Ducati model has 6 bolt 320mm rotors per EBC catalog specs that could be adaptable to 6 bolt GS hubs and run with the R6 forks.
                        Honda Superhawk VT1000 forks are also a good swap, but you want to ditch the calipers for identical looking CBR600F4 calipers which have bigger pistons. 41mm and fit very nicely in Honda PC800 triples but the step down upper triple will have stanchions standing proud above the triple at proper ride height unless you shave the bar mounts and run clipons.

*steering stops generally all will need reworked on any fork swap I list, fyi. Except RF900R OR 89 GSXR1100K forks in V-Max 1200 triples on a Rickman race frame, dead on exact fit! Lucky me

Any of these forks will still need racetech or sonic springs, they are all off of lighter bikes that a 750/850/1000/1100cc GS four.
                        No mention of GSXR 1000 forks/shocks {'08/'09}...just saw a set of USD forks with tree....

Comment

Looks good. I like the taper effect from tank to tail.
                          Thanks. I really like it myself

Comment

Just thinking out loud here-
                            I'm thinking of trying vinyl wrapping for my restomod theme....how bad can it be to apply - right?....
                            I want the tail and sides to look like metal so I'm thinking of brushed steel matte finish just for the needed effect. Maybe add some euro side stripes in red or blue....I'm looking at either 3M or Vvivid 8.
                            Pics to follow when wrap is procured and on.

Comment

Just thinking out loud here-
                              I'm thinking of trying vinyl wrapping for my restomod theme....how bad can it be to apply - right?....
                              Harder than it looks, I am sure. But the price is right and it's worth a shot. Kind of like my approach to painting with Tremclad. It works OK and I am not putting a value on my time while I learn some painting skills and get experience. If it looks bad I am out nothing but my time and a few $$ for paint...

I look forward to seeing what you end up with.

Mark
                              1982 GS1100E
                              1998 ZX-6R
                              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Just finished (for the most part) my 1979 GS850G

IMG_1508.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X