No announcement yet.

The Next Nerobro's HowTo: Doing the Stator Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering approx how many feet of wire you used? In total or each of the 3 windings. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by BC4Lyphe View Post
      Just wondering approx how many feet of wire you used? In total or each of the 3 windings. Thanks
      Reading this thread, I was just wondering that - as a finger in the air guesstimate, I reckon between 100 and 120ft in total.
      I've just now been looking for a local supplier of magnet wire, without much luck, but ebay has thrown up a source that gives me 80 metres of the rough equivalent of 19AWG double-coated 200degC wire for £14 /€17 /$24 shipped and that's enough for two stators - I have two dead cores on the shelf, handily enough. Local electrical trade outlets have plenty of heatproof cable (I have a drum or two of that myself, just need to strip it out of the cable), high-temp fibreglass / kevlar sleeving, crimps, etc.
      As an aside, I have discovered that hot oil and ordinary grade heatshrink don't get on, so I avoided that with my previous stator installations. One stator of mine has soldered joints on the internal harness, the second one has crimps, securely snugged down. It will be interesting to see which fails.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        Reading this thread, I was just wondering that - as a finger in the air guesstimate, I reckon between 100 and 120ft in total.
        I've just now been looking for a local supplier of magnet wire, without much luck, but ebay has thrown up a source that gives me 80 metres of the rough equivalent of 19AWG double-coated 200degC wire for £14 /€17 /$24 shipped and that's enough for two stators - I have two dead cores on the shelf, handily enough. Local electrical trade outlets have plenty of heatproof cable (I have a drum or two of that myself, just need to strip it out of the cable), high-temp fibreglass / kevlar sleeving, crimps, etc.
        As an aside, I have discovered that hot oil and ordinary grade heatshrink don't get on, so I avoided that with my previous stator installations. One stator of mine has soldered joints on the internal harness, the second one has crimps, securely snugged down. It will be interesting to see which fails.
        Sounds like pretty low temp.

Comment

200degC rated wire is what's been referred to previously, although 240degC is available. Nerobro's MW-35C wire leads to this
          http://www.mwswire.com/insspec.html, which is 200degC and his hasn't melted yet (well, not in two years anyway). Other links to suitable magnet wire also lead to 200degC rated wire.
          I'm hopeful the lower electrical and thermal stresses put on the windings by the series reg will avoid heat-related problems.
          The oil's not going to be near as hot as that and if it does, a frying stator will be way down the list of concerns.
          ---- Dave
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Grimly..if it's not too late to mention this, also be careful with the three sheathed wires (yellow ones) that come out to Regulator/Rectifier.

A lot of wirevinyl sheathing is only good to 100C and I've seen several stators where the sheathing is shrunken, hard and cracked where it passes into the engine

Comment

Where is Nerobro ?
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                Where is Nerobro ?
                Hiya, Dave! I haven't been on the GSR for a very long time so I can't speak for Greg, but he's regularly on Facebook fiddling with any number of electronic projects, lol! I'll let him know his thread is still kicking and you're looking for him!

Regards,

Comment

Damn Steve !! Have not seen your name since Tom passed. Better days ahead buddy. Hope to see more of you. Now I suppose Miss Fab will make an appearance.....
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Nerobro is alive and happy. I'm at a concert right now. I'll check the thread when I get home.
                    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                      Damn Steve !! Have not seen your name since Tom passed. Better days ahead buddy. Hope to see more of you. Now I suppose Miss Fab will make an appearance.....
                      Originally posted by Nerobro View Post
                      Nerobro is alive and happy. I'm at a concert right now. I'll check the thread when I get home.
                      ...and as you can see, I passed along your message, Dave, lol! Haven't seen Miss Fab in much longer, though ... would be nice to see a bunch of the "old guard" from time to time.

Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        The epoxy also stops the windings from flexing as the electromotive force pushes on the winding as the stator generates power.

If left to flex, they would wear through the insulation and short.

Interesting Nerobro did not use any; it suggests that the stators doesn't create that much power or he did a really good job winding and securing all the windings.

250 watts is about 1/3 of Hp
                        Lots and lots of electric motors don't have fixed windings. :-) I did take a lot effort to make sure the windings were very tight. wow, this is a really old thread... 10/2006... I'll note that my stator still works.
                        Last edited by Nerobro; 04-25-2015, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                          Grimly..if it's not too late to mention this, also be careful with the three sheathed wires (yellow ones) that come out to Regulator/Rectifier.

A lot of wirevinyl sheathing is only good to 100C and I've seen several stators where the sheathing is shrunken, hard and cracked where it passes into the engine
                          Yes, I have used hi-temp resistant fly leads as connecting wires. Allied with heat-proof sleeving it works well enough, so far.
                          The original heat-proof wiring lasted a long time, but as you say, it's variable and depends a lot on running conditions I suspect. Might also have been improved by Suzuki over the model lifetime.
                          ---- Dave

Comment

bump......

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I'm still around. The stator is still around. :-) We can probally say this thread is gospel by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro View Post
                                I'm still around. The stator is still around. :-) We can probally say this thread is gospel by now.
                                Could you indicate what bike the stator is on and what R/R you have used with how much mileage.
                                I would presume if there is any amount of mileage with a Shunt R/R that it has started to at least discolor from heat.
                                To determine how much damage has occurred so far, would need have photos of physical inspection.
                                Alternatively doing the stator tests at 5K RPM and comparing to previous results when new might provide additional information without pulling the cover.

As I recall, you had repeated stator failures causing you to start doing your own rewinds. I don't know if you have specifically posted this, but are you seeing that your newly wound stator is lasting much longer under the same condition as before when stators were failing?

Comment

Working...
                                X