GS1000S Mirrors - replace with what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000S Mirrors - replace with what?

First I got fed up with looking at my own elbows with the standard mirrors on my S so I knocked up some nylon spacers, which although I made a decent job, didn't look right.

Next, I took off the standard mirrors and planted on some handlebar mirrors. They look ok but it's niggling me that the RH mirror is closer to the fairing than the LH (because the mounting point on the clutch perch is behind the bar and on the MC is foward of the bar). Makes the bike look unbalanced from behind to my over-sensitised eyes.

Has anyone put any fairing mounted mirrors on their S that look ok? I did a google search and found mention of 01-02 GSXR parts fitting straight on and looking ok but there were no pics.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Have you looked at bar-end mirrors?

Comment

i have a set of fairing mounted mirrors that are universal and new in the box pm me if your interested. cliff

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS1000custom View Post
        i have a set of fairing mounted mirrors that are universal and new in the box pm me if your interested. cliff
        I am not currently in the market Cliff, but could you post a pic of the type of mirrors you are talking about. Thanks.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Napoleon bar-ends. Get the real thing, don't waste money on the cheap imitations.

If you have more money to spend, CRG bar-ends are very nice. Either way you'll have a cool café look and won't be looking at your shoulders and elbows any more.....

Thanks,
          Joe
          IBA# 24077
          '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
          '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
          '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
            Napoleon bar-ends. Get the real thing, don't waste money on the cheap imitations.

If you have more money to spend, CRG bar-ends are very nice. Either way you'll have a cool café look and won't be looking at your shoulders and elbows any more.....

Thanks,
            Joe
            What Joe said, the Napoleon bar-ends worked out great on our project bike. Even did a little review for Bike Bandit regarding the mirrors.
            Don't waste your money on the cheapies, they will work, once you have completely re-vamped the clamping system.

-greg
            Loud pipes saves squirrel lives.....

Comment

[QUOTE=hampshirehog;1035886]First I got fed up with looking at my own elbows with the standard mirrors on my S so I knocked up some nylon spacers, which although I made a decent job, didn't look right.
              QUOTE]

I have the same bike and the same problem. Did you make your own caps for the mirror mounts on the fairing or were you able to find some that would fit?

Thanks.

Comment

[QUOTE=rputney01;1036349

I have the same bike and the same problem. Did you make your own caps for the mirror mounts on the fairing or were you able to find some that would fit?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I made my own out of some blank nylon blocks - just used a fret saw, a file and plenty of rubbing down. Pretty easy to do and they fitted the mirrors perfectly. However, to my eye the mirrors just didn't look right - that 'sweep' needed to finish on the fairing and would have meant the base of the blocks being oversize and not matching up on the fairing.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

i must have been tired when i posted what i did above, i never noticed what bike you needed them for (sorry) these are available thru alpha sports for 51.00 each thats where i got mine at and when they arrived they were oem. the part numbers are
                  56600-49000

and
                  56500-49000

Comment

Go to the Dennis Kirk website, and find the Ken Sean mirrors. There is a universal, fairing-mount mirror, that bolts in place on the fairing w/angle blocks included. Big mirrior face, and they stick out way further than the stock ones. Rear visibility is excellent, and they are about $20.00. I've had 'em on my S for about 15 years, and they look real nice IMO.
                    Hugh

Comment

Originally posted by hp1000s View Post
                      Go to the Dennis Kirk website, and find the Ken Sean mirrors. There is a universal, fairing-mount mirror, that bolts in place on the fairing w/angle blocks included. Big mirrior face, and they stick out way further than the stock ones. Rear visibility is excellent, and they are about $20.00. I've had 'em on my S for about 15 years, and they look real nice IMO.
                      Hugh
                      Great advice!!! Thanks. I've been playing with spacers, but these bolt right on and look great. I wish I had known this before I spent $60 each for new OEM mirrors.

Cheers!

Comment

Are these the ones you're talking about:

Do they bend up like the originals on the S?

Comment

Working...
                        X