No announcement yet.

The Next Nerobro's HowTo: Doing the Stator Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just glancing thru this, and noticed a couple of things.

One: the 83 550ES Stator is the SAME stator that is in the 1000G (E too?) 1100G/E. The big 18 pole stator. There were, AFAIK only THREE different stator types used by Zook. The old 12 pole, with a 6 "pole" rotor (3 neg, 3 pos) and then they went to an 18 pole stator, with a 9 pole rotor, and then a LARGER 18 pole and larger 9 pole rotor. There is, for lack of a more technical term, as im no electrical wizard, an on and off for each pole of the rotor on the stator, or vice verse. However many windings there are, there are HALF that of positive mags in the rotor.

TWO: As far as ive found, NO ONE makes a replacement stator for the old 12 pole stators. You're only real options are to re-wind it yourself, OR switch the stator AND the rotor to the 18/9 small set up, say from an 850, or a later 750 or something like that. AFAIK there were only TWO different crank snout diameters, the biguns, and the smalluns. ANything that uses the SMALLER stator, 18 pole or not, should be able to be converted to any OTHER small snout set up, with the proper bearings and what not. At least I would ASSUME so (and we all know where that gets you)

Comment

I just wanted to say thank you in advance for this thread. I've had a problem with my stator for a little while, and was lamenting the replacement cost. (i'm in the middle of a divorce, so money is super tight) Seeing this thread, and all of the awesome photos, I'll be winding my OWN this week. I actually like doing fun little electrical projects, and am looking forward to doing this.

Nero, I think you mentioned you thought the OEM wire was 20AWG. Do you feel that's correct? I'm gonna look for both 20 and 18, but just thought I'd ask if you knew for sure at this point.

Also, do you have any updates to report? Still working well?

THANKS SO MUCH!

loudest143

Comment

Becuase I just found this thread again, I thought I'd mention that my bike is still running my home spun stator. :-) The RR I had on there was charging a bit low... so I swapped that out again. But, otherwise, the bike has been great.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Great write up.

Great write up. Thinking about going this route and I believe this thread just made it certain, could still buy one if money randomly ends up in the pocket....

Any suggestions on wire? Places to buy the wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Pchitti View Post
            Great write up. Thinking about going this route and I believe this thread just made it certain, could still buy one if money randomly ends up in the pocket....

Any suggestions on wire? Places to buy the wire.
            Yes, I did this for my bike this summer. Let me find the links I found and I'll post them. I was not able to build the fancy looking wiring that nerobro made, but it works great. The biggest hassle I had was finding the epoxy. Although if you go nerobro's route and don't use any, the point is moot.

Comment

Here is a link that may help you decide: http://www.mediafire.com/?jm3lzukjzyt

Comment

Here are a couple of links for the stator winding wire:
                Perfect for Winding Coils, Inductors, Transformers, Lighting, Ballasts, Relays & Timers, Motor Applications. Insulated with polyurethane and nylon.

PlanetEngineers.com - Online Shopping - Choose from a complete line of standard electro-mechanical components and other related Engineering Materials.

I used 18 gauge, and was able to get about 30 winds per pole, which is what the OEM stator had also.

If you need to replace the high temp insulated wires, here is a source:
                Hoerr Racing Products serves the motorsports industry by providing parts & accessories including lubricants, brake systems, shocks & springs, driver & crew to customers worldwide.

Both can also be found on fleabay for comparible prices.

When I finally got down into it, I used Matchless' writeup almost exclusively, with just a smattering of the nerobro thread thrown in for added flavor.
                Two things that may be of interest: I found the clothespins to be crucial for a tight wind and for aligning each wind (you'll understand when you get there), and I bought a cheap pair of mechanics gloves at Harbor Freight and wore those whilst winding. No damage at all to delicate fiingers, although the gloves were trashed by the end of the project.
                I also suggest that you purchase plenty of winding wire; I had several do-overs before I got the hang of it.
                Best of luck, it does work.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  When I finally got down into it, I used Matchless' writeup almost exclusively, with just a smattering of the nerobro thread thrown in for added flavor.
                  Two things that may be of interest: I found the clothespins to be crucial for a tight wind and for aligning each wind (you'll understand when you get there), and I bought a cheap pair of mechanics gloves at Harbor Freight and wore those whilst winding. No damage at all to delicate fiingers, although the gloves were trashed by the end of the project.
                  I also suggest that you purchase plenty of winding wire; I had several do-overs before I got the hang of it.
                  Best of luck, it does work.
                  Nerobro's guide was my initial inspiration and a pair of pigskin gloves work well.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                    Nerobro's guide was my initial inspiration and a pair of pigskin gloves work well.
                    Yeah, except for the pig.
                    But seriously, combining the two made the job as easy as it could have been made. I was never able to get the hang of nerobro's mushroom windings. Not sure how he made the transitions in the middle, so I just went up and down and up and partway down like Matchless. It made for really tight clearances at the base where space is at a premium, but it are workiing. And the HF gloves were $2, not a big deal, and no animals were injured in this commercial.

Comment

One thing I had trouble finding was the high-temp epoxy. Griffin got some for me from his (former) place of work. It was weird to work with: When I mixed the catalyst with the resin, it waited about 30 minutes as a liquid and then suddenly got really hot and set up as a solid. The heat caused havoc with my plastic mixing bowl - I was glad I was there to take the bowl and hurl it outside. The next stator I did I used a soup can and everything was fine. I was able to find this on fleabay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
                      It is a huge quantity, but I plan on doing more of these, so it is O.K.
                      Also, I purchased my wire off fleabay as well. I got 11 pounds for around $100. I actually wish I would have purchased 19 gauge as the 18 gauge was still a bit difficult to work with (kind of stiff and difficult to bend, although the clothespins saved the day).
                      Just a thought.

Comment

I got all my stuff from a supplier to the rewinders. The rewinding places are only familiar with what they use.

Comment

I didn't use epoxy to seal my stator. It still is within spec. :-)
                          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro View Post
                            I didn't use epoxy to seal my stator. It still is within spec. :-)
                            Absolutely. It is my understanding the epoxy is only for helping with vibration, electrically it is neutral.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                              Absolutely. It is my understanding the epoxy is only for helping with vibration, electrically it is neutral.
                              The epoxy also stops the windings from flexing as the electromotive force pushes on the winding as the stator generates power.

If left to flex, they would wear through the insulation and short.

Interesting Nerobro did not use any; it suggests that the stators doesn't create that much power or he did a really good job winding and securing all the windings.

250 watts is about 1/3 of Hp

Comment

Interesting point on the flexing, that makes sense.
                                If you look at his pics, his windings are really tight and clean. I was not able to duplicate them. That could be why his stator is holding up? IDK, merely conjecture.

Comment

Working...
                                X