Crap! Sonic cleaner died.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crap! Sonic cleaner died.

My tried and true Branson 5200 is no longer working so I've decided to build my own replacement untill I can get it fixed. These puppies are not cheap to buy or repair. Here are the starting components for my DIY Ultrasonic Cleaner:

120W Ultrasonic generator and 2 60W 40Khz transducers (Cost $69 Delivered) Ebay:

Stainless Steel Steamer Pan and Lid (Combined cost $24 delivered) Resturant Supply:

Size is 12 3/4" x 7" x 6" deep or about 6L capacity.

Total cost so far is just under $95 usd.

I'll detail how I will build it and the results once the parts come in. Kind a cool project that serves a purpose. I'll use the components first to determing if my Branson's transducers are bad or the control board is bad.
    Last edited by JTGS850GL; 02-02-2015, 03:56 PM.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

hmmmm.......interesting..veryyy interesting.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      hmmmm.......interesting..veryyy interesting.
      Agreed!
      Will be watching this thread.
      Though a small cleaner will not cost a ton having the ability to build a large one for very little suits my empty wallet.

Be sure and keep us posted JTGS850GL

Comment

I'll be watching to.One question,do you need a transformer?

Comment

Subscribed!
          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
            I'll be watching to.One question,do you need a transformer?
            No transformer needed. The generator/driver board accepts 110VAC as it's input and the output drives the transducers. They do make a 220VAC board as well for those over seas. All that's needed is an AC cord, an inline 3A fuse, a switch and some wiring. You could even add a timer and heater if needed. My plan is to construct a simple case and silicone the pan to the cabinet. I'll bond the transducers to the bottom of the pan using JB Weld.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Subscribed! Excellent info!
              2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
              1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
              2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
              s)

Comment

I got's to see this.....

Can you list where you are getting parts from, who on ebay etc....

and what will you use for the liquid ?

Curious minds need to know....

Comment

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks RB.....

Comment

Yep RB, that's where I picked up the generator and transducers. It’s free delivery from China via EPack so I'll be curious as to when it arrives. They say 2 to 3 weeks. If you search ebay for "Ultrasonic cleaner transducer" you'll see a variety of auctions selling everything from just the transducer to complete generator and transducer combinations. All of them seem to come from China. Just be aware of the input voltage, total power and the transducer frequency requirements. The generator board input voltages come in either 220V or 110V models. The total power should be at least 100W for a 1.5-gallon tank. Usually you want around 50W/gallon but it really depends on a lot of factors. The transducers typically come in either 28Khz or 40Khz operating frequencies. The generator and transducers must be designed for the same frequency. The 40Khz units seem to be better suited to our type of parts cleaning. 28Khz transducers produce larger bubble implosions (stronger) but fewer of them while the 40Khz units produce a slightly less powerful implosion but with more bubble density. This makes for a much more uniform cleaning process and the ability to get into smaller areas. The higher the frequency the more bubbles produced but with less power per bubble. One other aspect is that the closer to the audible hearing range the base frequency is the more annoying the sound becomes as the harmonics end up being more in the human hearing range.

The pan and lid I chose was a 6" deep 1/3 size steamer table pan. These can be had at any restaurant supply house online or local. The one I picked was an online store called: The webrestaurant.com. The prices were good and shipping was reasonable. I could have gone with a little larger container (1/2 size) but the 1/3 size fitted my needs well and seemed like a good match for the 100-Watts of power output. You could use any metal container. I've seen aluminum pots being used as well. Aluminum works great but, in most cases, is a little thick and is more susceptible to erosion over time. The steamer pan just seemed like a good match since they're thin walled stainless steel with a nice mounting lip all the way around and easily available matching lids. Most commercial tanks seem to be made of stainless as well. Still looking for a nice SS basket to go inside.

Once all the parts arrive I’ll start the assembly process and report back on the assembly process and the units effectiveness. I’ve got a spare set of clogged up carbs just waiting for this.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I might have to spring for the 50W unit. It should make a nice budget parts cleaner for wrist watches.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Subscribed...

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                            Still looking for a nice SS basket to go inside.
                            Would a suitably sized deep fry hopper (think McDonalds's fry cooker) basket work in this type of set up? Another item at most restaurant supply stores? Does it make any difference if the basket makes contact with the basin or not?

Waiting to see how this turns out.. Cheers!

Comment

Great idea on using the deep fryer basket. I just found one for $5.00 that's just the right size. Length 9 1/2" width 5.5" height 5 1/4". Should be able to do two carbs at a time easily.

The basket really shouldn't touch the transducer mounted surface area but mostly because of the risk of dropping parts onto the bonded surface and the constant motion of parts causing the transducer bond to break or even fracture the ceramic piezo transducer over time. The transducers can be mounted on the sides of the tank to minimize this issue. The "parts basket" really doesn't need to be a wire basket. The one in my Branson was a solid metal pan with a few holes to allow the fluid to enter. The sound waves will easily pass through the metal pan as long a fluid is inside and out. With that said, make sure you NEVER operate an ultrasonic cleaner without fluid in it. It can damage both the generator and the transducers. Ask me how I know.... Thus the start of this thread. My cleaner was accidentally left on over night and the fluid level dropped to low.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                              X