wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wiring harness

I need to replace the wiring harness in my 83 GS1100ED because of some melting of wires and brittleness of wires. The original part number sticker is on the harness 36610-49520. I can't find a harness with that part number but I can find one that is for 82-83GS1100E ES - part number 36610-49500. My question is will this one work and what is the difference.

Yes it will work, the difference is in the length in the front as an ES has a fairing.

Dink

Comment

Can anyone tell me where I can find a replacment harness for the 83 GS1100esd. I dont mind modifying one for a 82-83 GS1100ESD if it only means extending some wires. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Where have you tried? I could get one new from Alpha and Bells in 2006 and also direct from the UK suppliers (OK I had to wait for it from Japan though.)

Suzuki Mad

1981 GS1000ET
        1983 GS(X)1100ESD
        2002 GSF1200 K1.

Comment

I checked BikeBandits.com where I get most of my parts. It showed that it had been discontinued. Go figure, the bike is only 23 years old! Hahah! Anyone you could refer me to in the US?

Comment

I found a wiring harness at Flatout Motorcycles.com but it saids that it is for a 83 Gs1100E and ES. Is the Gs1100ES the same as the Gs1100ESD and will the same harness work??

Comment

Part no's:-
              Z/EZ - 36610-49500
              ED/XD/EXD - 36610-49520
              ESD only - 36610- 49530.

Check with him as the part number should be on the loom. If its an EZ then it will fit but you will have to alter the length for the headlight and clock connectors.

According to Suzukicycles.org the ES and the ESD are the same bike. Check it....

Suzuki mad

1981 GS1000ET
              1983 GS(X)1100ESD
              2002 GSF1200K1
              Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2007, 03:54 AM. Reason: chuck speller....

Comment

This is helpful! Thanks, Kich

Comment

I have looked at the wiring harness from Flatout and noticed that the connector to the guage assembly is different from my GS1100esd compared to the picture of the harness shown. What I am finding out from you all is that , WIRING HARNESS 36610-49500 is for a 1100z or 1100ez which is a bit different. In order to use this harness for the ESD, will I have to cut and reuse my original conector to make it work? Please advise! Thanks!

Comment

With this harness you will need to use some of your old plugs.
                    Ask Posplayr. He did the same thing.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I know the IGNITION switch plug is different from the 82 to 83. Kich, the ES harness is different because the E has a cable drive tach & your ES is an ELECTRONIC tach. You will find it interesting to make an E harness from either year work on your ES. I'm not saying it can't be done but it won't work in STOCK configuration. Ray.

Comment

83GS Rider, Kichigai

1st, sounds like 83GSRider figured out a source for your bike Kichigai (ESD). Talk to him about where he found it.

83GSRider. I put the EZ harness (from Flatout) on my ED and there were only a couple of differences. The main issue was that the Turn signal control unit next to the solenoid has a different connector between the EZ and ED. The EZ has a flying turn signal ground and the ED has more contacts in the connector to eliminate the flying ground. Cut of the EZ connector and substitute the old ED connector. The EZ relay might work but I did not want to chance that.

The only other possible changes are in the R/R and the Stator. I had wired my stator so the three stator bullets were hard wired into the harness. The R/R plug, fit the Electrosport unit that I had purchased so while I had no issue, depending on you R/R you might have to deal with that as well.

Note I bough new handle bar controls so that helped everything n the headlamp work out just like OEM.

Pos
                        Last edited by posplayr; 11-17-2008, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Not to sound like a smart a$$, but you could rebuild your exsisting harness. A bit time consuming but gratifiing. Solder and wire are cheap and time is free. Maybe just my fathers influence here. All my life I would hear why replace what can be fixed.

Comment

Ray, thats for the tip! I new it couldnt have been quite so easy!

Posplayr, I took your advice and sent 83GSrider a email. Hope he replys with some good news!

BriyenKeith, you have a good idea too but my connectors are looking kind of shabby after 25 year so I was hoping to replace the wires and connectors if possible. I may have to consider it though as a last option.

Heck, maybe I could just graph in a new harness from a GSXR and use newer gauges etc and be done with it!!!

Comment

not to push the repair job but just so you know radio shack carries several bulkhead connectors. Used a few to build the harness for my bobber. I understand if you want it to remain stock but it sounds like that isn't an option even with the ones mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                              X