1986 GS550es wheels and suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 GS550es wheels and suspension

Does anyone know how wide I can go with the rear tire on my '86 550es? Buying newer tech tires this size is getting impossible. Now, i'm only wanting to go wide enough to get into a radial tire, if that's possible. And if I have to change the wheels then I will.

Also, is there a bolt on front end that would eliminate the anti-dive forks? I would consider a totally different front end, but I do want the wheels to match.

I'm partly thinking that something off of a late '80's 600 may do the trick, but the sprocket alignment is a concern.

Thanks.

How wide is your swingarm at the rear axle?
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

The stock inside swingarm width is 8 3/8" (I just measured it). Also, I've heard about offset countershaft sprockets, what are those?

Again, my cycle experience is mostly off road. So getting my hands dirty isn't a problem. But knowing how to do what I'd like to do, is.

Comment

Originally posted by zig06 View Post
        The stock inside swingarm width is 8 3/8" (I just measured it). Also, I've heard about offset countershaft sprockets, what are those?

Again, my cycle experience is mostly off road. So getting my hands dirty isn't a problem. But knowing how to do what I'd like to do, is.
        Is that at where the rear axle is, or at the pivot point? (front of swingarm)

Comment

That's right above the rear axle, on the inside.

Comment

the 600 katana wheel will fit the swingarm, ask LeeGS550E, he has them along with Katana front end on his 550 frame....hope that helps..

Comment

Originally posted by distraction628 View Post
              the 600 katana wheel will fit the swingarm, ask LeeGS550E, he has them along with Katana front end on his 550 frame....hope that helps..
              Yes it will. The more information the better!

And I think that kingofvenus' wheels might be turning on something too, so he's got my attention as well.

Comment

I was thinking along the same path. I figured the 600 kat parts would fit a 550 too, I have 600 parts (rear wheel and entire frontend assy.) on my 750. Was trying to see if the swingarm width was the same as my bike, I looked up bearing sizes and saw that they match up. The 600 kat wheel fit my stock arm like it was made for it. Parts are easy to find and cheap on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                  I was thinking along the same path. I figured the 600 kat parts would fit a 550 too, I have 600 parts (rear wheel and entire frontend assy.) on my 750. Was trying to see if the swingarm width was the same as my bike, I looked up bearing sizes and saw that they match up. The 600 kat wheel fit my stock arm like it was made for it. Parts are easy to find and cheap on ebay.
                  Any particular year?, or all the 600 Kats about the same? And did you have to use an offset countershaft sprocket?

And if I haven't said it yet ~ THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Comment

'89 to '97 and no, the stock front sprocket. Mine has Dunlop Sportmax radials, 140/70/17 rear and 110/70/17 front, (can go as big as 150 and 120) and a Hagon shock on the rear. Handles better now than it ever did before the swap. The 600 kat brakes work great too, for the rear you need the kat caliper and mount with the axle spacers from one too. You'll need to make (or modify your stock) a stay arm for the caliper. You might want to get info from LeeGS550e on what else you would need for this swap. I'm glad to be of help.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                      '89 to '97 and no, the stock front sprocket. Mine has Dunlop Sportmax radials, 140/70/17 rear and 110/70/17 front, (can go as big as 150 and 120) and a Hagon shock on the rear. Handles better now than it ever did before the swap. The 600 kat brakes work great too, for the rear you need the kat caliper and mount with the axle spacers from one too. You'll need to make (or modify your stock) a stay arm for the caliper. You might want to get info from LeeGS550e on what else you would need for this swap. I'm glad to be of help.
                      Excellent, this is what I'm looking for! And in your case, did you use a complete front end off of a 600 Kat?

I did PM Lee550e just to see if he has anything to add.

Comment

Yes, even the ignition switch.

Comment

The 86 GS550ES doesn't have an antidive fork. It has an adjustable damping fork.

you can directly fit the wheels from a GS500 on the bike. They're more importantly 17" diameter, which means you can fit modern rubber.
                          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Just to follow up on this post, zig and I have been talking over PM, and yeah, I'm running kat parts on my 550 frame. Kat rear wheel, front end, and front wheel. Brake torque arm is the only thing that needs to be modified (read: big hammer and a vice :-D), and you have to add your own bump stops to the forks. I added some ride height to mine by welding in a section of steel on one of the rear shock linkages, but that's up to the modifier's taste as far as that goes. I wanted to speed up my steering and get back an inch or so.

PS. I've also got a 700 aluminum swingarm that looks to be a direct bolt-on, and will give me about 3/4" more length on the rear end. I'll post it up when the time comes.

Comment

Thanks guys, you've given me enough insight to forge ahead on my project. I'll keep my eyes pealed in the parts section, you never know what might pop up. Plus there's a big cycle swap meet coming up in Feburary in Novi Michigan. It'll most likely be 50% Harley, but there could be a Kat wheel or two laying about...

Lee, if you get a chance to snap a picture of that 700's swingarm feel free to send me a copy (zig06@altelco.net). It sounds like that could be a worthy upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                              X