I just finished the coil relay mod and put on new bars. Pics inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished the coil relay mod and put on new bars. Pics inside

Well after a long day of working with solder and backing out a stripped out screw in the right controls, I finally finished the coil relay mod that everybody keeps talking about. I didn't have any problems with my ignition since switching to the Dyna S with Dyna 3 ohm coils, but I figured having a strong connection can't hurt. I also switched out my slightly bent bars for Daytona bars and put on some smaller grips.

Updated with photos below.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2008, 02:32 PM.

You might be able to fit one more component on there. ;-) O
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I would suggest turning the relay so that the legs face down. Upwards water stays in the connector and tends to evaporate slowly and may speed up corrosion of the connectors.
      Did you notice any improvement!

Comment

i gotta question too, is that a honda reg rec in there? i have a 78 750 with the seperate reg and reg, i know there is a thread here somewhere on the wiring in of the honda unit, can you point me in the right direction? how do you like the relay? if i get my thread situation fixed, this is next....

clean pics, btw

greg
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Everything in that pic is newish. New flasher relay from about a year ago. The reg/rec is actually an electrex one (I think) because the old one was over charging my battery. The starter solenoid is a $10 lawn tractor solenoid that works as opposed to the last 2 GS solenoids I've had and paid a lot more for. And the actual coil relay is a bosch 5 pin with the 5 pin harness. I'm going to start putting together the rest of the photos now.

Comment

All of the pictures

We all like pictures so here they are.

Gas tank off, grips cut off almost ready for new bars.

Here's the relay monted off the same bolt that holds on the left side of the starter solenoid. I had to move the flasher relay over a little to make this work out. But it's perfect for wiring.

And here's the harness wired and ready for the positive connection to the battery, which I wired to the positive post of the starter solenoid and the white ground connection. I grounded directly to the battery for now.

I left the fifth wire bundled to do the headlight kill mod in the future
            Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2008, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Here is the original Y connection powering the coils which is about to get snipped.

to make way for this new connection. The red wire is the Dyna power wire.

coil wired and back in place
              Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2008, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Here's the relay trigger wire coming directly off the original power wire from the coils. The harness has been so molested in it's past. Yes you do see at least 3 generations of shrink wrap.

and before prettying up the wiring.

during

after

Comment

And here it is all finished with the new bars.

Comment

comments or concerns?
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2008, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Excellent! The pictures give a very nice overview. Remember to swing that relay down so that water does not collect in the base and corrode the contacts.
                      I like your workshop, so clean and tidy!

Comment

I'm still looking for a way to swing it down. I've run out of real estate in there.
                        The "shop" is so tidy only because my car normally sits in that stall. The bike is forced off to the side when parked.

EDIT: alright I moved the relay under the seat and zip tied it to the frame bar behind the battery. Now it's hangin downward so I shouldn't have a corrosion problem.
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2008, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Any updates on how she runs afterwards?

Comment

She's running great. I went on a 300 mile trip shortly after doing this and everything ran fine. Seems to idle a little smoother, but that could be all in my head.

I wasn't expecting anything huge because I have a Dyna S ignition, Dyna green 3 ohm coils and new plug wires/caps. I just wanted something more reliable that would take some stress off the stock wiring harness. The most beneficial part for the bike running I'm sure was cutting off old bullet/butt connectors and soldering in as much fresh wire as I could.

Comment

Great post - thanks for the pics!

Comment

Working...
                              X